Blow dryers

You may very well experience a problem. Cruise ships do not have a "never ending" power generation source and as such have step down transformers installed in the power grid to prevent an overload. You can plug your high wattage hair dryer in, but the chances of you singing the "pop goes the breaker" song might become a reality. BTW, the fuse panel is not in your room and you might to wait for maintenance to reset it. The provided hair dryer is hard wired ànd designed to prevent this problem.

You may very well experience a problem. Cruise ships do not have a "never ending" power generation source and as such have step down transformers installed in the power grid to prevent an overload. You can plug your high wattage hair dryer in, but the chances of you singing the "pop goes the breaker" song might become a reality. BTW, the fuse panel is not in your room and you might to wait for maintenance to reset it. The provided hair dryer is hard wired ànd designed to prevent this problem.

In all of my cruises, I've never had a problem.

We just got off of Getaway this past Sunday and friends of ours brought their own hair dryer. Blew the circuit in their cabin. The hair dryer provided is good enough. I have long thick hair and the provided hair dryer works great.

I used my own on the Getaway last year and blew a circuit in my cabin. After that I obviously ended up using the one in my cabin and it was fine. I have long thick hair as well. I plan on just using the one in the cabin when I sail the Escape this summer!

I used my own on the Getaway last year and blew a circuit in my cabin. After that I obviously ended up using the one in my cabin and it was fine. I have long thick hair as well. I plan on just using the one in the cabin when I sail the Escape this summer!

I was on Escape last April. It is the same hair dryer as on Getaway. No issue and one less thing to pack.

I always take my own dryer when I travel. On the Breakaway my personal dryer blew the circuit as others have mentioned. So I used the one provided which was actually a normal hair dryer and it was ok. It was not the horrid ones mounted to the wall that are useless for doing a proper blowout.

We were in a Spa Haven cabin on Getaway in February and twice I blew thr fuse, called the butler and maintenance was there within five minutes. After the second time, I used the cabin dryer. Maybe it is a Getaway problem. There are three of us just on this thread alone that it happened to on that ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In all of my cruises, I've never had a problem.

you have brought your blow dryer and never had the problem? It doesn't take me long to blow dry thank goodness, but I don't want them coming to my room and telling me no blowdryer (so embarrassing lol)

I sailed the Getaway in January, and used the provided hair dryer. It worked just fine. I just feel why pack more than necccessary?

I just love the one I have at home, and it takes me like 10 mins and I'm done, the ones in hotels don't even compare, and as this being our first cruise I just don't know what to expect

We were in a Spa Haven cabin on Getaway in February and twice I blew thr fuse, called the butler and maintenance was there within five minutes. After the second time, I used the cabin dryer. Maybe it is a Getaway problem. There are three of us just on this thread alone that it happened to on that ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hopefully that won't happen to me, I am hoping that its just a Getaway problem LOL

Yes, flat irons and curling irons are allowed, as hair care appliances are the only appliances that produce heat that are allowed.

Some misinformation out here, let me clear things up. Not sure what a PP meant by saying that "step down" transformers are installed to "prevent an overload". Transformers only change the voltage, taking the voltage from the 10,000 volts generated by the generators and used by the propulsion motors, to 480v used by most of the machinery onboard, to 220v used by ship's appliances, lighting and outlets, and finally to 110v for US outlets. What is plugged into the wiring system, and the circuit breaker control whether an overload happens, not a transformer.

And, while it is true that the power generated on a ship is not "unlimited" like on shore, your 1800 watt hair dryer makes no difference to a power plant that can generate over 60 million watts.

The largest problem when using high wattage hair appliances is that the circuits for the outlets are not limited to your cabin only, but generally for a group of three cabins. So, if ladies in all three cabins are prepping for dinner at the same time, and fire up the big dryers, this can cause the circuit breakter to pop.

One thing to note, for those of you who understand basic electricity. If your hair dryer is "dual voltage", meaning it says "input voltage 100-240vac" on it, and has a "power brick" on the cord, you can plug it into the 220v outlet (with the proper adapter), and it will draw 1/2 the current that it does in the 110v outlet and still provide the same heat. Lower current means that more appliances can be working on the same circuit before the circuit breaker pops.

From what I've read, the hair dryer on the Sun is a wall mounted unit in the bathroom and is not very powerful. I usually shower first and then dry my hair in the cabin while my husband showers. On all of our previous cruises, the dryer was located in/by the desk. Having this dryer IN the bathroom means he would have to wait until I finish (which can be quite a long time!!)

Here is a photo I found online:

Cabin-9277-J-L.jpg

We will be boarding the Sun in a little over a week and I plan on taking my own travel size hair dryer. (Fingers crossed that I don't blow a circuit.)