Caribbean islands (more of the same?)

Airportlimbo

We are looking at two Celebrity cruises, one 10 and one 12 days.

Will we be missing out by not visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; St. George's, Grenada; and Roseau, Dominica? But adding St. John's, Antigua?

We are both active and enjoy photography, zip lines, sailing (not motoring).

All other ports are the same between the two.

Thanks,

A

You might want to check out trip adviser or the port boards and see what types of activities might be found on each island. I remember being in St. John's but that was almost 20 years ago. Can't remember much of anything being there.i'm sure other people will be able to weigh in and give you plenty of information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haven't been to Grenada or Dominica. But st thomas has easy access to St. John, usvi which is famous for snorkeling. We went to St. John, Antigua on our last cruise and it was our favorite island in the Caribbean; it has a beautiful coastline and beaches. Can't go wrong with either.

Thanks, I've been lurking around the port boards but not seeing what I'm looking for.

You might want to check out trip adviser or the port boards and see what types of activities might be found on each island. I remember being in St. John's but that was almost 20 years ago. Can't remember much of anything being there.i'm sure other people will be able to weigh in and give you plenty of information.

I love Antigua for their beaches. Everyone is very friendly and although it isn't my favourite Caribbean destination, it's definitely up there.

However, Dominica is BEAUTIFUL! It very lush and tropical. I've been to Dominica several times, and every time you get back on board, you hear so many people saying what a great surprise Dominica was. I highly recommend it. It fits perfectly with you interests as well - there's lots of photography opportunities, plus there's great opportunities to go on boat rides, ziplines, river tubing, waterfalls, etc. Grenada is nice because it is the spice island (you can smell the spices from the ship while it's docked), and, unlike most people, I think St. Thomas is boring and overrated (I'm onboard the Summit in December and plan to make St. Thomas a stay onboard day).

Dominica is stunningly beautiful. There is very little development. I didn't see an Diamonds International anywhere and there are really no major resorts on the island. It is an unspoiled tropical paradise. Grenada to is also very nice and the spices are fresh and cheap. Based on your stated interests I think you would really enjoy both islands.

I almost never recommend a tour guide to anyone - but I make an exception when it comes to Dominica. Do yourself a favor if you decide to go there and contact Beno Nature tours. Beno is an amazing gentlemen who will arrange an all day private tour that reflects your interests. He will take you to all the must see places like Champagne Bay and Trafalagar Falls if that is what you want. However, if your willing to take some semi-challenging hikes into the rain forest tell him that and he will also take you to some amazing hidden gems not frequented by the tourists.

We are looking at two Celebrity cruises, one 10 and one 12 days.

Will we be missing out by not visitingCharlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; St. George's, Grenada; and Roseau, Dominica? But adding St. John's, Antigua?

We are both active and enjoy photography, zip lines, sailing (not motoring).

All other ports are the same between the two.

Thanks,

A

I think St. Thomas is one of my favorites. Also, I liked Grenada as well as Antigua. Go with 12 days

We've visited all of these ports, many several times. As much as I like Antigua, it's only one island, while St. Thomas, Grenada and Dominica are three lovely and very different islands. I would definitely pick the 12 day cruise.

We have been to Dominica twice, once we did the traflegar falls, the other time we did Franks whale watching tour, both great tours, the only thing is the roads are very bad and windy.

I wasn't very impressed with Antigua, beaches are beautiful, but not much else.

You will enjoy what ever you do.:)

Dominica is stunningly beautiful. There is very little development. I didn't see an Diamonds International anywhere and there are really no major resorts on the island. It is an unspoiled tropical paradise. Grenada to is also very nice and the spices are fresh and cheap. Based on your stated interests I think you would really enjoy both islands.

I almost never recommend a tour guide to anyone - but I make an exception when it comes to Dominica. Do yourself a favor if you decide to go there and contact Beno Nature tours. Beno is an amazing gentlemen who will arrange an all day private tour that reflects your interests. He will take you to all the must see places like Champagne Bay and Trafalagar Falls if that is what you want. However, if your willing to take some semi-challenging hikes into the rain forest tell him that and he will also take you to some amazing hidden gems not frequented by the tourists.

Did you get to do the champagne snorkeling as well as seeing other things? This would be ideal!

We have lived in the Caribbean for over 40 years and visited all the islands you mention. All have lovely qualities and they are surprisingly different. For example. Dominica is beautiful, as others say, but it has no beaches. Its beauty is in its mountains & rivers. St Thomas is where I live and it surely has the most beautiful harbor of any of the islands...the most picturesque town. If you like zip-lining, that is offered in St Thomas, and if you want to go sailing, you can do a day sail from St Thomas to St John & return, if your stop is long enough - surely the most glorious sailing anywhere. We went for a daysail a week or so ago on the Yacht Independence, over to a near deserted bay in St John, with great rum punch, nice lunch, and sails up all the way (no motoring). They cater to folks on cruise ships. (Independence44@gmail.com). Have a fine trip!