High Prices for Royal

Megg

I have been watching prices for Royal 10 & 20 day sailings next Jan - March.

The prices are almost double what we have paid the last two years! I don't understand why. Any ideas???

Meg

The prices are almost double what we have paid the last two years! I don't understand why. Any ideas???

Meg

It's still early for most bookings. Give it time & if sales are not what they should be, discounts will appear. (hopefully) :cool:

I am also monitoring Royal's prices for early next year. I don't know what they were at this time last year, but this year they have not moved much since January. Last year I started looking around July, & finally booked in November, when the price dropped dramatically. Last year we did the 10 nighter, this year we hope to do the b2b, but will wait again until the price drops, hopefully after final payment.

Patience!!

Meg

I just received an upgrade (which I declined) for a Feb 18, 2018 sailing, so the fact that they are upgrading so early makes me think that there will be a sale on this cruise soon, I hope!

We booked the Royal TA, leaving Barcelona 10/21/17....booked this cruise in April 2016... price now up $800 pp ...with Princess I think it pays to book early... I have no special deals, so keep watching it...usually Princess will give the lower fare if before final payment.

If demand for the Royal's cruises become as high as the 14 day Caribbean Princess cruise you reference then prices will go up. If demand remains flat you will see either lower fares or better promos. The Caribbean Princess cruise has high demand from well seasoned Princess customers because it is a true 14 day Caribbean cruise, something Princess hasn't offered in quite a few years.

If demand for the Royal's cruises become as high as the 14 day Caribbean Princess cruise you reference then prices will go up. If demand remains flat you will see either lower fares or better promos. The Caribbean Princess cruise has high demand from well seasoned Princess customers because it is a true 14 day Caribbean cruise, something Princess hasn't offered in quite a few years.

Now if they really wanted to spur some people to book for 14 days they should offer it on the Royal or Regal and it would be a sell out from the start. The Caribbean Princess doesn't do that much for some of us.

We booked the Royal TA, leaving Barcelona 10/21/17....booked this cruise in April 2016... price now up $800 pp ...with Princess I think it pays to book early... I have no special deals, so keep watching it...usually Princess will give the lower fare if before final payment.

Certainly don't agree about booking early. We are on Royal in July for 21 days and the price dropped $1500 per person after we had booked. The price is now well above what we paid which is understandable now that the cruise is almost full, however I will never book early again. In Australia it is not as easy to have the fare reduced if it gets cheaper after you have booked.

The generic term you need to recognize is "dynamic pricing". In any place where there is a limited supply of seats, rooms, tickets, etc. a modern vendor will constantly adjust the prices to maximize his return. If the tickets or rooms are selling well then the price for those that remain will rise. If sales are lagging then prices may fall. The one thing a seller of time linked items, think hotel rooms, cruises, sports or concert tickets does not really want is to leave an item unsold. That hotel room vacancy last night never comes off the books. A hard goods retailer always has the chance to sell tomorrow the item that went unsold today. Modern computer systems have made dynamic pricing very easy to do. The person sitting in the airplane next to you rarely paid the same price you did. The big question for the consumer is when to buy. Early may guarantee a seat and protect against price rises but you often feel bad when you discover the guy in the next seat paid half what you did because he waited a while.

Meg

Everything is higher with Princess.

Certainly don't agree about booking early. We are on Royal in July for 21 days and the price dropped $1500 per person after we had booked. The price is now well above what we paid which is understandable now that the cruise is almost full, however I will never book early again. In Australia it is not as easy to have the fare reduced if it gets cheaper after you have booked.

I have no problems getting fare reductions on cruises I've booked through Princess in Australia. I use FCDs for deposits, and ring Princess when I see a price drop. I've also had a cruise refared through a TA.