Venice cruise terminal

kkmiausa

Hi all. Love Oceania. Doing two this year - Canals and Creations next week and Cuba December 8th. Question and sorry if it has been asked.

Does anyone know if O runs a shuttle from the Maritime terminal in Venice over to St. Marks? Seems like when I was there 10 years ago on Celebrity they ran a small tender back and forth during the day.

Any answer would be appreciated. I am excited to share Oceania with 3 of my friends who are first time O cruisers. For some reason they don't consider Oceania as upscale as Regent - but I disagree. Do have a Regent booked for August so guess will see what that's all about.

Thank you in advance.

In Venice, water taxis are like buses, and (1) they don't hold more than a 100 or so passengers; and (2) they run on a circuit route schedule . They have not had water taxis lined up to take all the passengers on ward. So expect a line and expect a wait unless being picked up by a private taxi or tour group.

Let me add that it unlikely that your ship will be the only one at dock that day adding more people to that line and that wait!

When is it important to remember this? When it's time to head back to the ship and calculating when and where you need to catch that water taxi! I've seen completely full water taxis pull up to docks that when no one got off, it meant no On could get one!

You can walk to the People Mover from the ship (although it can be a trek if your ship is docked furthest away!) The People Mover costs about €2 This takes you to Piazzale Roma where the Vaporetto terminal is. You can buy a Day ticket and travel on the Vaporettos anywhere you wish. J

Did water taxi in November, then took Vaporetto and People Mover back. Water taxi is fast; but the Vaporetto gives you much better picture of the city and puts you, side by side, with the residents. I don't recall being in line for more than 10 minutes for the water taxi. Then again, it wasn't high season.

You can walk to the People Mover from the ship (although it can be a trek if your ship is docked furthest away!) The People Mover costs about €2 This takes you to Piazzale Roma where the Vaporetto terminal is. You can buy a Day ticket and travel on the Vaporettos anywhere you wish. J

There is a closer terminal that is in the docks area that has an express that goes to St Marks area. I believe it is called Terminal S Basilio It looks like this--

DSC09078_zpsz0l94zj1.jpg

There is a closer terminal that is in the docks area that has an express that goes to St Marks area. I believe it is called Terminal S Basilio It looks like this--

DSC09078_zpsz0l94zj1.jpg

This is the transport I was referring to in my post

Karen, Hi again!

Here is the private company water bus line that we used last November. The station was right off the bow of the Marina, go through the terminal and exit to the right. Ticket booth looks like the one in the above photo but from the opposite side (terminal side), picture on the site's home page. See the route maps on this site for the blue line, there is also a time schedule for leaving the cruise terminal, starting at around 8AM, to arrival at ST Marks 20 minutes later. The blue line also goes all the way to the airport, so they do take large suitcases. http://www.alilaguna.it/en

Herb

The ship OP will be on is Riviera, so it is highly doubtful that they will be docking at San Basilio.

Unfortunate because when we were there several years back now, it was San Basilio (on an R ship) and also no shuttle, but it was a really pleasant 20-30 minute walk along the pier to St. Mark's square/Rialto bridge.

The ship OP will be on is Riviera, so it is highly doubtful that they will be docking at San Basilio.

Unfortunate because when we were there several years back now, it was San Basilio (on an R ship) and also no shuttle, but it was a really pleasant 20-30 minute walk along the pier to St. Mark's square/Rialto bridge.

We were on the Riviera. I had a picture of S Basilio right after the one I posted above. I guess I had that confused. I also have another that says Port of Venice. We were in the Marittima Terminal. But there definitely is a water bus right there that goes direct to St Marks square, no need to go through the people mover and over to the main water bus area.

We were on the Riviera. I had a picture of S Basilio right after the one I posted above. I guess I had that confused. I also have another that says Port of Venice. We were in the Marittima Terminal. But there definitely is a water bus right there that goes direct to St Marks square, no need to go through the people mover and over to the main water bus area.

Yes, basically there are two choices if you dock at Marittima, and most cruise ships do. You can find the orange Alilaguna boats mentioned above (see alliguna.it) or take the People Mover to Piazalle Roma and take an ACTV vaporetto. Alilaguna and ACTV are different, and require different tickets, so beware of that. Alilaguna is probably easier, but you may have to look for it at the port - or ask a dock worker! The Venice port is a large one, so the ship could be assigned to any number of berths. I guess what I'm saying is that while people sometimes give specific directions on where to find the Alilaguna boats, the directions could be specific to a particular berth and will be different from cruise to cruise.

http://www.italylogue.com/planning-a-trip/venice-cruise-terminal-where-it-is-how-to-get-there.html - shows (look closely!!) a location for vaporetto shuttle to St. Mark's Square. I'm assuming that's the Alilaguna stop.

Allow plenty of time in Venice for everything - I got lost several times, despite a lot of planning and prepping. I really loved the city, and roaming around on my own, but if you get lost easily, you may want to just take a ship's excursion to make things easier. Also, if you do take the People Mover, know how late they close. When we were there (on a Sunday, I think) it stopped running pretty early in the evening.

Edited by roothy123