Cabins to avoid - non mega ships.

harz99

DW and I cruised on Spirit to the Holy Land over Easter past, we took advantage of what was a good priced package from our usual UK T/A but in a guarantee Ocean View cabin.

Didn't think too much about that as we'd done guarantees before without too bad a result, not this time!

We were allocated deck 4 cabin 4494, first thing we noticed when gaining entry on embarkation day was the expected porthole window is in an internal wall set well back from the outside hull, result being the view was through a 2 foot long metal tunnel and as a result was restricted and very little natural light came in.

That night we were both woken in the early hours by what sounded like metal cages being dragged around and banged down on the deck below us - sleep was impossible from then on, a complaint to Guest relations the next morning brought a half promise of a cabin change if one was available. No more was heard and another sleepless night occurred.

By that time we had worked out that the problem was the ship sailing at 19 - 20 knots all night creating a considerable bow wave which was slapping back against the hull and echoing through the void between hull and interior walls.

Another visit to Guest relations, and later that day we got the offer of a potential move the following day, as some guests had not boarded and they would offer us the cabin if nothing further had been heard as to those guests joining at the next port.

After another fitful night we got moved. Only a few cabins back to 4506. At least that had a normal porthole and a reasonable amount of natural light. However the noises were still there to be heard although much less in volume. DW managed to sleep without problem, as we had the bed as two singles I solved my own problem by sleeping the opposite way round with my feet at the porthole end! Bit more work for our steward each day though.

Anyhow I learnt a lesson - don't book OV or inside guarantee's on Spirit as you are very likely to get the same problems as some of these forward rooms are actually designated specifically as sailaway guarantees, my belated advice would be to avoid all OVs forward of 4518, or lower grade than O2 or OF.

Same advice probably true for OV/Inside guarantees or deck 4 cabins on all Sun, Jewel and Dawn class ships.

Relating to Spirit, also significant noise and vibration could be felt throughout the rear decks of the ship in restaurants and the theatre.

The cruise; well cabin and rear end vibration apart, food was in the main good, ports were good, entertainment was okay to good, bar service was slow and understaffed - got my own from the bar many times. Was it good value - yes. Would I sail on Spirit again - no.

To finish, we are not inexperienced cruisers, far from it, and have over 40 cruises on various line under our belts, including sailings on POM, Jade many times, and Escape, enough to make us Platinum now and Plus after our Epic TA next April. Just shows we can all get it wrong sometimes!

HTH. Doug.

Sorry about your experience, but you decided to go cheap. With over 40 cruises, you selected this cabin class hoping to get an upgrade or a good room. But with a guarantee, you were willing to accept the cabins no one else wanted. That's what you get with a Guarantee. If you are fussy over cabins. Or you don't want the left overs that no one else wanted. Then pay for a non-guarantee booking class and to pick the cabin you want.

That way, you're not back here on CC complaining that you paid for a cheap cabin, you got a cheap cabin, and you didn't like it.

With over 40 cruises, you know that this is not specific to the Spirit, it is the same on every ship.

We once booked a far forward porthole cabin on a Carnival Fantasy class ship. We had pretty much had the same experience and will never book one again. Yes, we were being very cheap. We have also booked insides and OV, but that was early in our cruise life. Now we only book balconies or better ... the experience is worth the extra money.

Sorry about your experience, but you decided to go cheap. With over 40 cruises, you selected this cabin class hoping to get an upgrade or a good room. But with a guarantee, you were willing to accept the cabins no one else wanted. That's what you get with a Guarantee. If you are fussy over cabins. Or you don't want the left overs that no one else wanted. Then pay for a non-guarantee booking class and to pick the cabin you want.

That way, you're not back here on CC complaining that you paid for a cheap cabin, you got a cheap cabin, and you didn't like it.

With over 40 cruises, you know that this is not specific to the Spirit, it is the same on every ship.

No need for your sorrow. I posted as a warning to others. And for your information, no upgrade or good room expected, what I do expect of ANY cabin is to be able to sleep at night.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

i avoid guarantees. i only booked one once, and it was a mini suite. i at least knew id be on a high deck. i refuse to sleep below deck 8.

for a few extra bucks i can ensure my room will be in a quiet location with rooms above and below me. while we are usually night owls, once im ready to go to bed i want to SLEEP and never want to be under or above the night club i just left.

I generally book gty cabins and it's not because I'm cheap. All of the freebies are worthless to me.

I always had good experiences (last cruise I was delighted with the cabin and location...balcony on Gem) but once they assigned the worst cabin the the B'away.....inside...all the way forward, under the theatre and 129 sq ft. So, I upgraded myself to a gty balcony (with good results).

If I had been in the OPs position, as soon as I got the cabin number I would have looked on CC for cabin reviews, and adjust as necessary.

I actually do like to book cheap, thinking that most likely I can upgrade.

I generally book gty cabins and it's not because I'm cheap. All of the freebies are worthless to me.

I always had good experiences (last cruise I was delighted with the cabin and location...balcony on Gem) but once they assigned the worst cabin the the B'away.....inside...all the way forward, under the theatre and 129 sq ft. So, I upgraded myself to a gty balcony (with good results).

If I had been in the OPs position, as soon as I got the cabin number I would have looked on CC for cabin reviews, and adjust as necessary.

I actually do like to book cheap, thinking that most likely I can upgrade.

Thanks, I actually did as you suggest and looked for reviews and could find nothing! That is one of the reasons why I posted here, so that others may find this.

O.P.

If you want to play the GTY game learn to read Deck plans!

NCL Tells you there 4494 is1 of the 3 real OX cabins, the worst oceanview cabins on the ship.

And how does that comment help anyone? I've already acknowledged my error in the OP and that I have learnt from it - you did read that bit right?

I for one have never seen cabins preclassified as guarantee on any ship prior to this, are there others your aware of?

And how does that comment help anyone? I've already acknowledged my error in the OP and that I have learnt from it - you did read that bit right?

I for one have never seen cabins preclassified as guarantee on any ship prior to this, are there others your aware of?

The comment helps others in the same way your OP does by reminding YOUR target audience to check the deck plans.

OX is an actual category. OX does not mean "guarantee" -- when you book a GTY, you are assigned an OX category and your booking is a GTY booking. There are a small number of each -- IX, OX, BX -- on each ship.

The comment helps others in the same way your OP does by reminding YOUR target audience to check the deck plans.

OX is an actual category. OX does not mean "guarantee" -- when you book a GTY, you are assigned an OX category and your booking is a GTY booking. There are a small number of each -- IX, OX, BX -- on each ship.

Thanks I'm aware of the categories.

4494 is shown as an OX on the deck plan for Spirit which is what I meant by preclassified as a guarantee, because if you book an ocean view guarantee you are allocated to a category OX.

I spent some time earlier looking at the plans for the lowest deck on the other classes of non mega ship, and unless my eyes deceive me couldn't see any other numbered cabins in category OX, hence my earlier question.

Thanks I'm aware of the categories.

4494 is shown as an OX on the deck plan for Spirit which is what I meant by preclassified as a guarantee, because if you book an ocean view guarantee you are allocated to a category OX.

Apparently you're not aware of the categories.

OX is not "pre-classified as a guarantee" -- an OX is an OX.

Apparently you're not aware of the categories.

OX is not "pre-classified as a guarantee" -- an OX is an OX.

And if you book an OV guarantee you are allocated category OX, so one follows from the other.

Your splitting hairs with our differing use of the English language across the pond, which isn't helpful to anyone.

Yes.

on Spirit

4494, 4490, and 4488 are OX cabins

just as 9702 and 9202 are BX cabins

Do you have a catalog with deck plans??

I may help If you see you have been assign a bad cabin, that's when it is time Buy AN Upgrade.:cool:

And if you book an OV guarantee you are allocated category OX, so one follows from the other.

Your splitting hairs with our differing use of the English language across the pond, which isn't helpful to anyone.

At Times you can buy like an OB GTY or O1 gty's may be for sale.

OB gty sez you are guaranted OB cabin or better ETC.

Your

Edited by biker@sea

Yes.

on Spirit

4494, 4490, and 4488 are OX cabins

just as 9702 and 9202 are BX cabins

Do you have a catalog with deck plans??

I may help If you see you have been assign a bad cabin, that's when it is time Buy AN Upgrade.:cool:

No I don't have a catalogue unfortunately.

Is the actual categorisation of real cabins as OX/BX peculiar to Spirit or do the same exist on the other ship classes?

No I don't have a catalogue unfortunately.

Is the actual categorisation of real cabins as OX/BX peculiar to Spirit or do the same exist on the other ship classes?

Yes they do.

Like on Dawn / Star 8562 and 8062 are the OX

8512 and 8012 are BX

The catalog lists category types for each deck at the bottom of the page.

At A Glance Only decks 4 and 9 on Spirit have X category cabins.

Yes they do.

Like on Dawn / Star 8562 and 8062 are the OX

8512 and 8012 are BX

The catalog lists category types for each deck at the bottom of the page.

At A Glance Only decks 4 and 9 on Spirit have X category cabins.

Thanks, I shall have to try and find a physical catalogue for future reference then. Not that I'll be booking OV guarantee in any category on an NCL ship again. Lol.

My first cruise was 1982 and I was 19 yrs. old. I worked 2 jobs to save $1,000 to buy a ShBx car. A friend at work told me about the cruise to Bermuda and there I was, sailing away! When we got to our cabin, it was VERY low (don't remember exact deck ... probably 4) and it was only bunks for 4 people.

Several cruises later (I haven't been on that many) I am sailing 5/29/17 to Cuba. I called NCL to schedule the trip and they started talking to me about Guaranteed Cabin on Deck 8. NOPE. I wanted Deck 9 or 10 Forward. I always choose forward. So I paid through the nose because I am a solo traveler this time and choosing my own cabin/location. It should work out ok ... but we'll see.

Thanks to the OP for the cabin information. I always search for cabin information when I can. Postings on CC are well indexed by Google, so you can usually find the information. BUT, you sometimes don't get your cabin assignment on a GTY until you get to the dock. Not sure what a deck plan would help in that case, as often you can't upgrade at that late date.

I usually don't book GTY any more because we are sensitive to noise. I book decks with cabins above and below. I hate being over a lounge with thumping bass or under the pool deck or buffet with early morning banging and sliding of various "stuff" before the rest of the ship wakens.

To those who've said thanks - your very welcome, I'm just trying to help others, something which sadly seems to be on the decline on these boards in the last few years.

Its posts like yours that make cruise critic a valuable tool, don't let the negativity stop you. Every since NCL went down this "free perks" road there are clear cut winners and losers. Folks like you (and me) are really hurt by this business model.

DW and I have no need for any of the "free" offers, we don't want unlimited booze, don't want internet or specialty dining or shore excursion credits. The only perk we want is to choose our location and that clearly is not offered unless you overpay for a cabin to get the freebies. Only when the Daily Service Charges are part of the freebie package does it make sense to choose NCL

So I guess the model works for NCL and that's great. For us its just another consideration when choosing a cruise line for our vacation. Its funny, now that we are retired we are taking 3 or 4 cruises a year but less, if any at all, with NCL

• 7 months later...

I was in NCL Jade Cabin 4564 Oceanview right by a gangway. While I was aware when the guarantee was booked it could be dicey, little did I know how bad. I was bothered by the crew putting together 180 new beds outside the room from 6 am til almost 10 pm. The metal clanging and dragging across the floor was awful. On port days, they started assembling the gangway around 6 am. Since the cabins have metal walls, it reverberated. I spoke to the front desk the first morning, and and officer came down to the room. That's when he told me about the 180 beds to be assembled. Three days later, it was still happening. My steward called his housekeeping supervisor, and he came to my cabin, as well. Still nothing was done. On day 7, I saw an officer who was at the cruise critic meet and greet. He said he would see about it. On the evening of day 8, I got a bottle of wine from the front desk delivered to the room. At least he listened. I was told by the front desk that 7 cabins had been vacated by medical emergencies, yet was never offered a transfer. Beware if you're a light sleeper. It is unusual to have this kind of activity ignored, but since this was my first NCL cruise, I was not given any priority. Acknowledging problems on day 8 of a 10 day cruise is too little, too late.