Celebrity Silhouette back to back cruises

MrsNorman

Hello cruisers, there must be cruisers among you who have been on back to back cruises and I am wondering what happens on changeover day. I and my husband are going on a chartered cruise on the Silhouette next May, and when the Silhouette returns from this we are also travelling on her next cruise from Southampton to the Baltic. Presumably we won't have to disembark and then re-embark again. Are you allowed to stay on the ship, and are there any restrictions as to where you can go? And if you do want to get off, say to have a look around Southampton, is there a separate gangway for back to back cruisers to use? If possible I would like to have a bit of information on how the changeover day worked for you. We're very lucky to be able to do this, next year and very excited!! Thank you in advance. :)

The procedures can vary by port. But when we have done back to backs in Europe (actually did one of these on the Silhouette) we had to report to a table (located near the Guest Relations desk) during a multi-hour window on that turn around day. They issued us a new cruise card and a "in-transit" card that we were to carry with us when we went off the ship (that turn around day). When we returned to the port we simply showed that card to the security folks and they waved us through the terminal so we could proceed directly to the gang plank. Celebrity actually closes out your onboard account for the first cruise and opens a new account for the 2nd cruise. It is a minor annoyance when compared to lines like HAL that simply issue you a cruise card (and a single onboard account) for multiple cruises.

And by the way, if you are changing cabins it does become a little more complicated...but the stewards handle most of the work. We had to pack up most of our stuff, but could leave everything on hangers. They got a cart and moved all of our stuff to our new cabin and the only thing we had to deal with...was moving our valuables from safe to safe.

Hank

The procedures can vary by port. But when we have done back to backs in Europe (actually did one of these on the Silhouette) we had to report to a table (located near the Guest Relations desk) during a multi-hour window on that turn around day. They issued us a new cruise card and a "in-transit" card that we were to carry with us when we went off the ship (that turn around day). When we returned to the port we simply showed that card to the security folks and they waved us through the terminal so we could proceed directly to the gang plank. Celebrity actually closes out your onboard account for the first cruise and opens a new account for the 2nd cruise. It is a minor annoyance when compared to lines like HAL that simply issue you a cruise card (and a single onboard account) for multiple cruises.

And by the way, if you are changing cabins it does become a little more complicated...but the stewards handle most of the work. We had to pack up most of our stuff, but could leave everything on hangers. They got a cart and moved all of our stuff to our new cabin and the only thing we had to deal with...was moving our valuables from safe to safe.

Hank

Thank you, Hank for replying and for the information which is very interesting. It makes sense to have a different account for each cruise in our case, as the first one is chartered and we don't appear to be getting the drinks package during it - we might query this when we embark but are prepared to purchase one on board for the first week. Grats are included in the price for the first week. For the second cruise the drinks package and prepaid gratuities are part of the deal. Luckily we have managed to get the same cabin for both. I imagine that we will be able to get up a bit later than everyone else on the turnaround day and have a lovely leisurely breakfast while everyone else is busy disembarking, and then use the "in transit" card to wander around Southampton for a bit.

You would like to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast, but since most everyone else is getting up early to leave, the breakfast hours start earlier, and close earlier. So if you don't make it by 0830, you go hungry. Even buffet is closed. And I don't think you can get room service. Let your cabin steward know that you are on for the next cruise. I tell them not to bother changing the sheets until the next day. EM

You would like to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast, but since most everyone else is getting up early to leave, the breakfast hours start earlier, and close earlier. So if you don't make it by 0830, you go hungry. Even buffet is closed. And I don't think you can get room service. Let your cabin steward know that you are on for the next cruise. I tell them not to bother changing the sheets until the next day. EM

Yes that's a good point - so we will get our breakfast before the buffet closes! And as you say, ask the cabin steward just to do the minimum for us that morning - as they are going to be really busy - that will lighten things a bit for them. I also thought we should leave the cabin/state room in possession of all of our essentials for the morning, in case we found that the corridors were closed off until the cabins were ready for everyone. Doing a back to back is going to be such a thrill for us ..... :)

Yes I agree, Mr C. I am also looking forward to writing a review about the chartered musical cruise I and Mr N are going on, as well as the turnaround day because I think that will be a bit different from the normal cruises.

Just to add that although there are limited options for breakfast, you may be given a voucher for a speciality restaurant (we had one for the then Bistro on 5) or offered lunch in the MDR. I've also heard that on occasion an excursion (for fee) may be offered for B2B guests

We did a B2B on the Silhouette, out of Southampton and we did have to leave the ship. We walked down the gangway to scan out. There was a person there to give us our new room keys, then back on the ship. There will be a meeting in the last couple of days of the first leg, to go over the whole B2B thing.

In our experience they give you a meeting point, they have your new cards ready. You get a letter to tell you what to do, where to be and what to bring. They walk you down take your old card, give you a new one with an invite to the concierge lunch, even if not in concierge and give you a new card. They clear down the old account so if you have obc spend it or lose it if it's not refundable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

These are all helpful posts - thanks to all. It seems to make sense to clock out and clock in again with new cards and hopefully our belongings will be allowed to stay in the cabin so we don't mind going through the rigmarole. It is also useful to know that there will be a meeting in advance to get the details sorted out.

Thank you, Hank for replying and for the information which is very interesting. It makes sense to have a different account for each cruise in our case, as the first one is chartered and we don't appear to be getting the drinks package during it - we might query this when we embark but are prepared to purchase one on board for the first week. Grats are included in the price for the first week. For the second cruise the drinks package and prepaid gratuities are part of the deal. Luckily we have managed to get the same cabin for both. I imagine that we will be able to get up a bit later than everyone else on the turnaround day and have a lovely leisurely breakfast while everyone else is busy disembarking, and then use the "in transit" card to wander around Southampton for a bit.

I should have mentioned that the last time we did this back to back (about 4 years ago) we received a letter (in our cabin) offering us a free lunch in the Bistro on 5....on that turn around day. Not sure if they still offer this kind of amenity, but it was a nice gesture.

Hank

These are all helpful posts - thanks to all. It seems to make sense to clock out and clock in again with new cards and hopefully our belongings will be allowed to stay in the cabin so we don't mind going through the rigmarole. It is also useful to know that there will be a meeting in advance to get the details sorted out.

If you are staying in the same cabin, you do nothing with your stuff. If you are changing cabins, you can leave everything on hangers, everything else goes in your suitecases and your cabin steward will transfer them for you. Just make sure he knows what cabin he has to deliver your clothes and suitcases to.

Since we live in the middle of Alaska and fly to every embarkation port we nearly always do B2B or B2B2B or even B2B2B2B sets of cruises. For us the air expenses are generally the same whether we are planning to be on the ship for one leg or more.

The CC search function can be problematic, but the B2B turnaround day procedures are discussed about every 50 to 60 days. Some people have posted their turnaround day experience in great detail. These posts can be interesting to read, but just remember that your turnaround day procedure may not be exactly the same. While there may or may not be a meeting for B2B passengers, you will definitely receive a succinct instruction letter a few days prior to the end of the first leg regarding the turnaround day. If you have any questions just contact Guest Relations for clarification.

In addition to some of the points already posted on this thread be aware that the gangway may be closed for about 30 to 45 minutes. So if you decide to leave the ship you will be given (in that succinct instruction letter) a time by which you need to depart the ship, and what time you can expect to begin to re-board. Also, now that all of the "Bistro on 5" venues have been changed to "Sushi on 5" we haven't received any vouchers for a turnaround day lunch there. Instead, the B2B passengers have been invited to join the embarkation day lunch for Concierge Class passengers held in the MDR. Again, your instruction letter will provide details.

We were on the Eclipse the spring of 2016 for a B2B2B2B series -- with all the turnaround days in Southhampton. It was a lovely port for a turnaround day as we were able to easily walk to several attractions and pubs.

One thing to keep in mind which may change up from what others are saying is the charter to the regular celebrity sailing - I'm not sure if they would still treat it as a B2B what you may want to do in inquire with Guest Services once on Board

Since we live in the middle of Alaska and fly to every embarkation port we nearly always do B2B or B2B2B or even B2B2B2B sets of cruises. For us the air expenses are generally the same whether we are planning to be on the ship for one leg or more.

The CC search function can be problematic, but the B2B turnaround day procedures are discussed about every 50 to 60 days. Some people have posted their turnaround day experience in great detail. These posts can be interesting to read, but just remember that your turnaround day procedure may not be exactly the same. While there may or may not be a meeting for B2B passengers, you will definitely receive a succinct instruction letter a few days prior to the end of the first leg regarding the turnaround day. If you have any questions just contact Guest Relations for clarification.

In addition to some of the points already posted on this thread be aware that the gangway may be closed for about 30 to 45 minutes. So if you decide to leave the ship you will be given (in that succinct instruction letter) a time by which you need to depart the ship, and what time you can expect to begin to re-board. Also, now that all of the "Bistro on 5" venues have been changed to "Sushi on 5" we haven't received any vouchers for a turnaround day lunch there. Instead, the B2B passengers have been invited to join the embarkation day lunch for Concierge Class passengers held in the MDR. Again, your instruction letter will provide details.

We were on the Eclipse the spring of 2016 for a B2B2B2B series -- with all the turnaround days in Southhampton. It was a lovely port for a turnaround day as we were able to easily walk to several attractions and pubs.

That is interesting. You must have been on the Iceland/Ireland cruise that Mr N and I were on last May on the Eclipse - that was really good, wasn't it? We think we will do it again sometime, but we see that one of the stops in Iceland has been taken out for this year's cruise - I think it is the one that we tendered at. Thank you for your comments. It is very helpful to see what other peoples' experiences are.

One thing to keep in mind which may change up from what others are saying is the charter to the regular celebrity sailing - I'm not sure if they would still treat it as a B2B what you may want to do in inquire with Guest Services once on Board

Yes. That is very true and exactly what my husband was saying in view of the fact that the first cruise is a charter cruise so may not be regarded as a B2B by Celebrity, especially as we had to book the first cruise via a travel agent. The travel agent has sent us a form to fill in so that they can give Celebrity the information though. I'm thinking of writing a covering letter so that Celebrity are aware that we are returning customers and also going on the next cruise to the Baltic. Will also check with Guest Services on board as you say. I am sure it will all work out fine. Thank you for replying :)