Panama Canal Full Transit

JimAOk1945

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have always wanted to take a full transit cruise through the Panama Canal. After having such a wonderful experience on our first HAL cruise last August, we decided we would really love to do this on HAL in December 2018. I've been checking the HAL website and the listing for Panama Canal only goes up to May 2018.

I was wondering whether any of you who have done the full transit, do you recall how far out your cruise was available for booking?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

We did the full transit of the canal in Nov. 2009 with Friends (Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego). It was a 28 day cruise via Mexico.. We made the booking & deposit on Sept. 2, 2008..

We also did an 11 day which was a partial of the canal with other Friends in Oct 2016, but only booked it May 25 of 2016..

I would phone your Agent or HAL & ask if they would take a preliminary booking now as Dec. could be peak season..Maybe they would take a couple of hundred $$$ to hold your places & when the itinerary is known then be prepared to make the full deposit..Can't hurt to ask..

Edited by serendipity1499

Other than a few South American cruises, there are no HAL cruises listed after October 2018. I would expect more will be listed within a few months. If you can't wait, try making a pre-booking as serendipity1499 suggested.

I booked our December 2017 full transit while on the Maasdam in July 2016. This is a bucket list cruise for us, full transit, Christmas and New a Year all wrapped in one adventure.Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is our plan as well, to do a full transit in December 2018 that will include Christmas and New Year. It would be a fantastic adventure!

Two questions come to mind. Was the ship decorated for Christmas and did you see any fireworks from the ship?

This is our plan as well, to do a full transit in December 2018 that will include Christmas and New Year. It would be a fantastic adventure!

Two questions come to mind. Was the ship decorated for Christmas and did you see any fireworks from the ship?

I can answer your questions about decorations etc after we cruise. Ours is still upcoming.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As to the posting of itineraries, call Seattle. See what they say.

Typically, cruise ships get decorated for Christmas in early December whenever they are in a port of call (not turnaround days) when a service comes aboard and does it all at one time, that is not a crew function as it might be for Halloween or Valentine Day. As to fireworks, you need to know where you will be on New Year's Eve. Some places don't do big fireworks displays due to dry weather conditions, it is too risky. Don't count on that event. Once you find out where you will be contact the nearest port of call (most have Web sites) and inquire about what might happen.

Jim

As to the posting of itineraries, call Seattle. See what they say.

Typically, cruise ships get decorated for Christmas in early December whenever they are in a port of call (not turnaround days) when a service comes aboard and does it all at one time, that is not a crew function as it might be for Halloween or Valentine Day. As to fireworks, you need to know where you will be on New Year's Eve. Some places don't do big fireworks displays due to dry weather conditions, it is too risky. Don't count on that event. Once you find out where you will be contact the nearest port of call (most have Web sites) and inquire about what might happen.

Jim

Great advice. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

We did a full transit - Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego - On the Statendam in early December, 2011. We received an email from HAL for an incredible deal 6 weeks out and booked it! Had an amazing time!

Jim..Received an e-mail today from HAL announcing their -

South America: Canada & New England: Bermuda: Europe: & Alaska cruises for 2018..

I would bet that the Panama Canal cruises will be out in about a week or two, but still suggest you call HAL or your TA right now & ask for a preliminary booking since you want the Christmas/New Year cruise in 2018..There will be others booking the same time as soon as they announce it..Good luck & let us know how you did..

Jim..Received an e-mail today from HAL announcing their -

South America: Canada & New England: Bermuda: Europe: & Alaska cruises for 2018..

I would bet that the Panama Canal cruises will be out in about a week or two, but still suggest you call HAL or your TA right now & ask for a preliminary booking since you want the Christmas/New Year cruise in 2018..There will be others booking the same time as soon as they announce it..Good luck & let us know how you did..

Thanks for the heads up!!!! I really appreciate it. I'll get right on it. [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

We have done three Panama Canal transits. Actually my first cruise was a Canal transit with HAL. Loved it, and am seriously thinking of signing up again. The canal is very interesting and I get engrossed with the technicalities of how it was built and how it still works. Really it is a fascinating trip. Sign up for it, I know you will have a memorable time.

Marianne;)

Was the ship decorated for Christmas and did you see any fireworks from the ship?

We did the full transit over the Thanksgiving holiday. Christmas decor started going up the Friday after Thanksgiving ("Black Friday"). The ship was fully decorated a few days after that. On our itinerary we were out to sea before nightfall on every port...so not sure how much fireworks you would see from 10-20 miles off shore...

We did the full transit over the Thanksgiving holiday. Christmas decor started going up the Friday after Thanksgiving ("Black Friday"). The ship was fully decorated a few days after that. On our itinerary we were out to sea before nightfall on every port...so not sure how much fireworks you would see from 10-20 miles off shore...

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Happy Travels!

If the usual pattern is followed, the Amsterdam will do the Holiday Panama Canal Cruise. But, I think I heard the World Cruise is starting later in 2019 so that could change--usually the holiday Panama Canal Cruise is right before the World Cruise.

We did this cruise in December 2013. The ship was already decorated when we got onboard. On Christmas morning "Santa" arrived and gave gifts to all the kids at the end of a special program. There was a great party on New Years Eve but we were at sea so no fireworks.

If the usual pattern is followed, the Amsterdam will do the Holiday Panama Canal Cruise. But, I think I heard the World Cruise is starting later in 2019 so that could change--usually the holiday Panama Canal Cruise is right before the World Cruise.

We did this cruise in December 2013. The ship was already decorated when we got onboard. On Christmas morning "Santa" arrived and gave gifts to all the kids at the end of a special program. There was a great party on New Years Eve but we were at sea so no fireworks.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. We look forward to booking the cruise as soon as it opens. We enjoy cruising over the holidays. Happy travels!