WiFi

jaee901

Hello all! I am sailing on the Breakaway to Bermuda in July and I have a question.

One of the pick two frees I got was wifi (I don't drink and my daughters 15 and I like to do my own exploring) can you text people back at home with the wifi service?? I'm trying to figure this all out. My parents are older and I really would like to be able to check in with them while at sea.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends.

Texts are not covered by the internet plan. However, depending on what equipment you are using they may get sent via the internet. For example using iMessage on iPhones.

Even if you use different platforms, there are alternatives (e.g. Facebook messenger) that will use the internet. Or there is email.

If you or your parents are using standard mobiles then you may be stuck, but if you have smartphones then there are work rounds.

Do you have an iPhone? If yes, then yes, iPhone's preferred method of texting is via iMessage (sent via the internet), not SMS (the cellular texting included in your cell phone package).

So you will have to be conscious to log out and log in if you don't have unlimited internet, but your phone will text like normal. Just put in airplane mode and turn wifi on.

If you don't have an iPhone you'll need a texting app that will work over the internet. Or communicate via emails.

And.....the "cellular at sea" plan is probably available to you. With that, while at sea you can send text (SMS only, no pictures) for .50c each and receive them for .05c each.

Cellular at Sea has nothing to do with how much text messages cost. It is totally dependent if your cell phone carrier supports international roaming on the ship and what your cellular provider charges for text messages.

It is very dangerous for an inexperienced phone user to leave their phone on while in the ship (or on land for that matter).

Yes, you can - depending on what OP is using ... as noted, iMessage should and can work, except for MMS or graphics. Hangouts SMS/Google Voice's Messaging also works as it's routed over WiFi as my primary global voice phone # is my GV number, which rings multiple devices and call forward automatically, based on my settings - including SMS or texting send & received. If I am offline and/or out of reach for whatever reasons, messages and voice mails are stored by Google's server & auto-retrieved and uploaded to my devices when I am online or connected again, i.e. once on cellular data upon reaching Bermuda's & picked up DigiCel ... (1 of 2 island's providers) even before the BA come to a stop at Dockyard.

Following info/tips is specific only to Breakaway; and, until & unless it's changing its MB-based (paid WiFi) internet plan and not minutes-based internet. The "250 minutes" plan as a complimentary or paid option ($125 was the price earlier this year) is actually credited as 1,000 MB or 1GB worth of data - it is 'to set this up once onboard with the internet cafe manager during posted "office hours" to use it.

Data speed is around 1 MB per minute and you'll get 250 minutes but as much as 1,000 minutes to use during the week. We actually gone over by a few minutes or MB and did not get charged extra on PAYG rates, which was 95 cents a minute on the Gem last week.

Remember these: login.com and logout.com - those are your browser-based "keys" to logging into and out of the paid WiFi inTERnet access on the BA, for each usage. You can still be connected to the BA's WiFi inTRAnet - and not being charged or run down your remaining MB minutes, as that will get you connected to the iConcierge App (with mostly free features like Account Review, Reservations, etc.)

We used mainly Android devices, my primary is a Nexus 5X plus a backup dual-sim Blu H1RD smartphone (thus, coverage on T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Project Fi and USCC both domestic in the U.S. and international roaming in nearly 140 countries abroad, and, lately - inconsistent cruise ship coverage without costing an arm and a leg.

Expand & scroll down under my signature and read the extra details in our 2016 Breakaway review, it has plenty of info on our Bermuda run - and how to best take advantage of your options onboard.

Keep in mind that NCL is rolling out new changes, including a 3-tier internet plan, including a social media option for a fee. However, your plan is good enough, if you think about how to allocate MB or minutes over 6 to 7 days ... roughly 150 minutes of air-time data minutes daily, while at sea. Once you are on the island (docked for 2.5 days) and away from the ship, you will not have access to its WiFi. Google Voice/Hangouts also run on iOS platform and I used it also on our iPhone, with a Project Fi data only-Sim nano card as a hotspot (pocket MiFi router) for tethering.

Enjoy the BA & have a great cruise - we have booked her again but sailing a different itinerary later this Fall.

You can also use the app "WhatsApp" to text people via the internet. The app can be downloaded to your smartphone (from the App Store on iPhones, not sure what it's called in androids). Both people doing the texting have to have the app, so you'd have to set your parents up with that before you go. Once you all have the app, you can "friend" each other through the app, which uses your address book to find phone numbers that also use WhatsApp . It's a very easy set up, even if you aren't tech savvy.