Any live reports from Solstice Now Hawaii?

gordylad

I've been looking for one as well....currently trying to decide on a spring 2019 Hawaii-Vancouver cruise between the Solstice and Radiance. There are two live threads from the Radiance in the RC forum...looks like we may have to wait for any post-cruise reviews for this one!

I've been looking for one as well....currently trying to decide on a spring 2019 Hawaii-Vancouver cruise between the Solstice and Radiance. There are two live threads from the Radiance in the RC forum...looks like we may have to wait for any post-cruise reviews for this one!

We sailed on Solstice last May from Hawaii to Vancouver and it was wonderful. I wasn't prepared for the drop in temperature as we crossed the Pacific, but on sea days there were seats available in the Solarium. It was a wonderful trip and one I'd like to do again someday.

I've done that cruise 3 times. Once from Hi to Vancouver, once from Vancouver to Hi and once from Ensenada to Hi. The Ensenada was by far the best weather wise, it was warm and sunny every day. The other two were very cold and a little rough towards Vancouver. The first 2 days or last 2 days (depending on the direction of the ship) were chilly and rough. It's a great cruise. I prefer the 5 sea days at the end (Hawaii to Vancouver), that way I can relax after all the fun in Hawaii.

I'll be on the Solstice from Vancouver to Hawaii in September! Can't wait! We are in full planning mode- excited for the relaxing days at sea and hopefully some sun & warmth as we get closer to Hawaii! Love sitting out in the sun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wife and I were on Solstice in Sept.2016 Vancouver to Hawaii

1st day high 60s partly cloudy

next 4 days mid 70s partly cloudy

ocean some white caps. smooth sailing

had cabin on port side for sun.

Hawaii warm 80s no rain on 10 day cruise

ship did not have lawn grill and porch.

after dry dock in Oct. who knows if they were added.

we have been on Solstice 3 times and love ship and crew

I have questions. We are doing this cruise in September, Vancouver to Oahu.

Would like to know if you have any specific must sees on each island.

Kona, is it worth renting a car for the day? Is there much to do or forget the car and hang around the town? Is the hop on/off bus helpful to see the local area?

Maui?

Any restaurants to recommend in Oahu? Must see areas to see? ( besides Arizona Memorial). We are renting a car here for six days.

Thank you.

. . .Kona, is it worth renting a car for the day? Is there much to do or forget the car and hang around the town? Is the hop on/off bus helpful to see the local area?. . . .

Visit the Hawaii board under "Ports of Call" for more information on all of your questions. However, we had a condo in Kona for 12 years so can give some answers. The pier is right in the village, so it's a good port to just wander around if you'd prefer. There are a couple of very nice restaurants - FishHopper, right across the street from the pier, and Kona Inn, a very short walk south, right on the water with a great view of your ship. There are lots of souvenir type shops with generic 'junk', but a few are interesting. There is (hopefully still there) one at the very south end of the Kona Inn complex that carries all locally made stuff - mainly art prints and jewelry. A little further south there's a Farmers Market that's fun browsing, if only to admire all the unusual fruits and flowers. There's also the oldest Christian church in Hawaii, Mokuaikaua Church built out of lava rock, and Huliheʻe, a summer palace from the 1840's, right near the pier.

If you do decide to rent a car, check out the coffee growing plantation areas just up the mountain a little way, or Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau, a National Historical Park. There's a car rental agency inside the Marriott Hotel right at the end of the pier (Dollar I think) that's much more convenient than any of the others, but they do book up early.

There is a little 'hop on, hop off' trolley that picks up right at the pier and runs about a 10 mile loop past some interesting homes and little beaches. It's very cheap and convenient. If you use it and get off anywhere, make sure to check the schedule and don't wait for the last trolley back to the pier, as they can be filled early and not be able to let you onboard.

I'm currently on the Solstice in Hawaii. What is your question?

We are embarking in Vancouver next week. No real questions, just wishing you a happy sailing!! Excited about our upcoming cruise. It won't be long now.

Do you know who the bartenders are at the world class bar?

We were on the 10 day New Zealand cruise, which was two sailing before the crossing. Dimtri and a cool Asian lady, can't remember her name...must have been the cocktails...were at the World Class Bar.

I'll be on the Solstice from Vancouver to Hawaii in September! Can't wait! We are in full planning mode- excited for the relaxing days at sea and hopefully some sun & warmth as we get closer to Hawaii! Love sitting out in the sun!

We will be on the same cruise. We are getting very excited. Have most ports planned, others we will plan as we go along. Where are you staying in Vancouver?

Visit the Hawaii board under "Ports of Call" for more information on all of your questions. However, we had a condo in Kona for 12 years so can give some answers. The pier is right in the village, so it's a good port to just wander around if you'd prefer. There are a couple of very nice restaurants - FishHopper, right across the street from the pier, and Kona Inn, a very short walk south, right on the water with a great view of your ship. There are lots of souvenir type shops with generic 'junk', but a few are interesting. There is (hopefully still there) one at the very south end of the Kona Inn complex that carries all locally made stuff - mainly art prints and jewelry. A little further south there's a Farmers Market that's fun browsing, if only to admire all the unusual fruits and flowers. There's also the oldest Christian church in Hawaii, Mokuaikaua Church built out of lava rock, and Huliheʻe, a summer palace from the 1840's, right near the pier.

If you do decide to rent a car, check out the coffee growing plantation areas just up the mountain a little way, or Pu'uhonua o Hōnaunau, a National Historical Park. There's a car rental agency inside the Marriott Hotel right at the end of the pier (Dollar I think) that's much more convenient than any of the others, but they do book up early.

There is a little 'hop on, hop off' trolley that picks up right at the pier and runs about a 10 mile loop past some interesting homes and little beaches. It's very cheap and convenient. If you use it and get off anywhere, make sure to check the schedule and don't wait for the last trolley back to the pier, as they can be filled early and not be able to let you onboard.

Thanks for the helpful info.

We are booked on the Sept Vancouver-Hawaii Solstice cruise as well so excited. We went ahead and booked ship tours so we would be 1st off the ships. I hate waiting. In Kona we booked the rafting, snorkel and tour. In Hilo we are doing VNP with tastes of Hawaii. We haven't booked anything yet in Maui. We are staying at the Days Inn in Vancouver because it's cheap and has free parking for 15 days. We are driving in from Iowa. I don't want to ride in a bus with a bunch of people in Maui and don't want the hassle of renting a car so we may just take a taxi to one of the resorts. If any one has great ideas for Maui let us know. On oahu we are renting a condo for a week at the Hawaiin in Princess. Again have I said how excited we are.

A man wearing a t-shirt with Hawaiian advertising on it at dinner in Murano restaurant. Don't know what the dress code is. Just seemed a little strange.

Did see sandals and flip-flops on women at the Captain's Club evening event. The only reason I mentioned this is that sandals were disgust here on cruise critic.

I'm not the dress code police. Just what I observed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app