Why I'm leaving RCCL and you should too!

Follow the link in SherriZ's post:

Originally posted by SherriZ366 There is a new RCI policy that you can choose Refundable Cruises and Non-Refundable. Non-Refundable will have OBC and a lower price. See:

If they keep the two types of booking methods, we would probably opt for the Refundable because flexibility is the most important thing

If I understand the document does it mean that there are/will be (a) 2 pricing structures on RCL's web site (if so, good luck) and (b) if one chooses the NR option one accrues the OBC, therefore, no reason to book on-board.

If I understand the document does it mean that there are/will be (a) 2 pricing structures on RCL's web site (if so, good luck) and (b) if one chooses the NR option one accrues the OBC, therefore, no reason to book on-board.

I think we will have to see what happens to OBC from booking on board. It's possible the OBC from booking with a NR deposit would be in addition to OBC from booking on board.

I think we will have to see what happens to OBC from booking on board. It's possible the OBC from booking with a NR deposit would be in addition to OBC from booking on board.

That's a risk I'm willing to take, especially with the lower deposit if you book on board. My big concern, RCL's website is already not user friendly and to add this twist-my goodness.:D

That's a risk I'm willing to take, especially with the lower deposit if you book on board. My big concern, RCL's website is already not user friendly and to add this twist-my goodness.:D

I agree about the website. If I were to guess, I'd say they will advertise pricing based on the NR deposit so it will look lowest.

I agree about the website. If I were to guess, I'd say they will advertise pricing based on the NR deposit so it will look lowest.

Yeah, just like United bare bones fare. What a joke, it's as much as a regular economy fares and the normal economy fares out of Newark are --WOW!

I believe this is what Carnival does now. On the cruise I priced w/them recently I believe the difference in price between a refundable and nonrefundable deposit was $26 a person. That was before a potential discount for previous customers. I'm sure others with more experience can confirm or explain if this is inaccurate.

They're going down the airlines' rabbit hole. First it's NR pricing to look like the lowest fare. What's next?

Charging $25 per per bag? That will knock another 25 bucks off the base fare.

And after that why not an A la carte MDR? That's another 20 bucks a day or so off the base fare.

And if they really want to cut those base fares really low how about firing all the chiefs and food prep workers and going to $10 Airline meals in the MDR and buffet? YUMMY!!!

The new Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines - The Spirit Airlines of the cruise industry! ;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

You do realize that there is already a very long thread on this very subject. No clue why you felt the need to start a new one.

Could it be that they didn't see it. Is there any skin off your butt because of them posting again? Please people grow up:rolleyes:

Probably worded that wrong. Meant to say there are probably better reason not to book than non refundable deposits. I liked RCI Ok. Always check them when I look for bookings but always find better deals or itineraries elsewhere. My biggest reason for not booking RCI is they hardly have any cruise over 7 days. Unless you do a back to back. We like to look for 9-12 day cruises. The shortest we have been booking on Carnival is 8. We have booked 3 Princess cruises each were 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP makes a point; sooner or later this will impact all of us. Why so many people make conscious decisions as adults to act like school aged bullies is beyond me. This thread really brought out the most obnoxious, shameful behavior in so many. And for no good reason. I guess the entitled generation have not been taught empathy.

Does this situation require empathy? :confused:

Ok, so I don't feel the OP is one to reserve multiple suites on cruises and cancel before final payment but reading this forum it appears many do. Not just suites though. I read so many posts about people with multiple bookings checking prices and moving to new promos so inevitably the cruise they do decide to go on is at a lower price/better perks with the more expensive reservations cancelled leaving the cruise line to strive to fill their cabins.

I feel this is just the start for Royal. Having reservations cancelled at final payment stage means they have to try and fill those rooms which will probably have to be sold at a lower rate. That will impact on the prices everyone else pays. Plus how many other passengers have not booked that cruise as there was no, or limited, availability in the room type they wanted?

As a UK booker, we know we will lose our deposit if we cancel. So we only book cruises we know we can sail on. I can see this rolling out to all cabins in time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a UK booker, we know we will lose our deposit if we cancel. So we only book cruises we know we can sail on. I can see this rolling out to all cabins in time.

From reading the documentation (pdf) it seems that it affects all cabin types, and not suites which we believed was the case.

This is a NEW change. I've booked many cruises in the past, I started with an inside room and worked my way up to a suite. So all you green-with-envy-types are being ridiculous. I've never, NEVER, booked a cruise where the deposit was non-refundable whether booked onboard or through a TA. FYI-- I booked this suite onboard with NO reduction in deposit or OBC on the booking cruise, so that means I paid $900 to book a cruise a year plus out, one that I will have to save for! I work hard for my money, and don't go around with my nose up in the air bragging I'm "Diamond, Diamond Plus, Pinnacle," etc. and I'm NOT a crybaby. This policy is UNFAIR to people like me who like to plan and save for their vacations! I don't have $900 to throw away, do YOU??? And this ONLY applies to those bookings made onboard and not through a TA as I've just learned. So lesson learned, NEVER book RCCL onboard if you want a Grand Suite or better; or just don't book at all, as is my choice. Plenty of other lines out there that DON"T have this policy.

Also, I DO NOT care if there is already a topic thread, I didn't see it and it didn't come up during a topic search--I checked! God knows how many times other mundane topics such as formal nights and such have generated over the years! Please forgive me all you holier-than-thou's and have a nice day.

I do not believe people think they are holier than thou's.......

Maybe it is just your perception.......

But you did say something so very true.

". . . . have a nice day. . . . . . "

Safe travels.

Ok, so I don't feel the OP is one to reserve multiple suites on cruises and cancel before final payment but reading this forum it appears many do. Not just suites though. I read so many posts about people with multiple bookings checking prices and moving to new promos so inevitably the cruise they do decide to go on is at a lower price/better perks with the more expensive reservations cancelled leaving the cruise line to strive to fill their cabins.

I feel this is just the start for Royal. Having reservations cancelled at final payment stage means they have to try and fill those rooms which will probably have to be sold at a lower rate. That will impact on the prices everyone else pays. Plus how many other passengers have not booked that cruise as there was no, or limited, availability in the room type they wanted?

While I agree with you, the reduced deposits are another problem. I have a cabin reserved with a deposit of $1,500. It is refundable but I doubt that anyone would reserve four of these cabins, totaling $6,000, just to find out one year later (the cruise is for early 2019) which of the four that they like best. Of course $1,500 is more than couples pay for an inside, so a high deposit will not work for all cabins. But a $1,000 deposit of which only $500 is refundable will slow down over bookers.

I take blame/credit. :halo::evilsmile:

For years I had been sending letters and emails to CEO & PRES. to do EXACTLY this. For those who book the limited number of Suites (GS & up) to set a program that keeps $100 of their deposit when they cancel.

I was so tired of shopping for decent Itineraries and wanting a G.S. but they are ALL TAKEN! :o

And it's because the "Suite Hogs", as soon as the itineraries come out, grab Grand Suites on about 15 cruises! Knowing full & well that they are only going on one of them. This not only makes them unavailable, but it also makes the price go SKY-HIGH on any that may still be left over!

So.....

Message to the O.P.:

I will be cruising a LOT MORE on RCI thanks to this policy!!

Originally posted by LMaxwell OP makes a point; sooner or later this will impact all of us. Why so many people make conscious decisions as adults to act like school aged bullies is beyond me. This thread really brought out the most obnoxious, shameful behavior in so many. And for no good reason. I guess the entitled generation have not been taught empathy. [/Quote]

Does this situation require empathy? :confused:

No this Situation doesn´t require empathy at all. Neither empathy nor sympathy. But this certain poster always Comes up with the same stuff about how nasty others are when they disagree with someone who vents about RCI.

It´s just funny how those are labeled the "entitled Generation", when it´s actually the OP coming off as entitled:confused:

No this Situation doesn´t require empathy at all. Neither empathy nor sympathy. But this certain poster always Comes up with the same stuff about how nasty others are when they disagree with someone who vents about RCI.

It´s just funny how those are labeled the "entitled Generation", when it´s actually the OP coming off as entitled:confused:

Thank you.

Stated very well.

Have a great day.

I love how somehow, somewhere, people always seem to blame millenials.

I don't book a suite so it won't affect me and I doubt the new rule will be for all categories in the future. If it becomes what options will I have? Maybe jump to another cruise line which I'm not going to do or take a land vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I was on the Freedom last month I decided to take a trip to the next booking office after seeing numerous adverts for reduced deposit, special fares and OBC. Low and behold because I'm from the UK it would be booked in UK T&C's which meant no lower deposit, no special fare and a lot less OBC. So for the same cruise I would be paying more with less benefits than somebody from the US.

But rather than booking it then moaning later I decided there and then not to book it. I found it unfair as no where on the advert in the Compass or on ALL those flyers they kept leaving in the room did it say "For US citizens only"

Oh I did double check that I was hearing right and the lady did actually say its because you reside in the UK

So OP please don't get so mad at this change, I believe you still get a much better deal especially when you can get price drops, imagine the feeling of seeing your cruise fare drop over £300 per cabin and there is jack all you can do about it

From a business perspective this would make sense depending on ongoing occupancy rates. If they are running high, they probably miss business from people looking for a cruise, but the category they want might be full so they look elsewhere, then someone cancels later. But if there are usually open rooms, there really isn't a loss of business. I see this happening more in the suites and specialty areas of ships, vs standard balconies and inside rooms except on special sailings.
I think the new policy is for all (or maybe most) categories, not just suites. The instituted the non-refundable policy for suites a few weeks ago.

You can assign the cruise to a TA, but you still will not receive a refund if you must cancel. Since this ONLY applies to cruises booked onboard, assigning it to a TA after the cruise does not change the nonrefundable policy. I've already assigned to cruise to a TA, but there is no change in the policy. If I booked it with the TA, the original refund policies are still in place....this change ONLY applies to onboard bookings.
Wouldn't travel insurance with a "Cancel for any reason" clause through an independent company take care of that problem? I've done that in the past and had to cancel and got 100% of anything I had paid up unto the point of cancellation.