Exceptions to the "All Adults in Same Cabin" Must Participate in Cheers Program

beofotch

Like others have said there are no exceptions for anyoneover 21. My mom is staying in an interior with 3 of her friends on an upcomingcruise. They all want the package and my mom didn’t because she is like a 2-3drink person. So, she won’t get her money’s worth but everyone else will so sheis sucking it up.

She's a better friend than I am. I've never had a total bar bill that hit $100.00 on a seven day cruise. If my cabin mate wants to drink more that's fine with me, but I'm certainly not going to subsidize it by purchasing Cheers.

One other option, book on NCL, as the drink package is included in the price of their cruise for the 1st two people in the cabin. I also agree that it will probably equal out to about the same money if you book two insides and put grandma with the kids. One bathroom with five people can get a little much. It would be almost impossible to move if everyone was standing in the cabin at the same time.

One other option, book on NCL, as the drink package is included in the price of their cruise for the 1st two people in the cabin.

....but it isn't that simple. NCL is running fares a good bit higher than Carnival right now when I researched for our recent cruise. Sure the drink package was included but it was still cheaper to take Carnival and buy the package.

Hello All - thank you for taking the time to share your opinions and experiences. It is great to validate, that even though contrary to what we were hoping, that it is clear there are no exceptions in fact and in actual anecdotes. I can explain to them that is the reality of the situation and that I can offer them as my gift the on board credit equivalent of the cheers package for 1.

Here are a couple updates:

1) I should have mentioned in the OP that I called Carnival and a Travel Agent a few days ago when reflecting on this. For them the Inside 4B for all 5 came to $1690 all-in. The cheapest 2 cabin configuration was $2,200 since for some reason they didn't do 3 people in 4Bs and so it had to be for a higher cabin class (although still inside). Thus they are looking at $600 more for split cabins with a $300 savings on the unused Cheers package.

2) They normally go to the beach and cram many family members in a room and have no reservations about the tight quarters.

3) They value on their vacation the chance to let loose and a splurge like a Cheers package is something they never get to enjoy in their day to day and would truly make this special and remarkable for them.

Overall what an amazing day and age we live in when a modest family can enjoy something as spectacular as transit to tropical places, food and drink waiter service, and comfortable lodging on a budget. As someone who has felt the magic of cruising, I am tickled pink for them to enjoy their first cruise.

Overall what an amazing day and age we live in when a modest family can enjoy something as spectacular as transit to tropical places, food and drink waiter service, and comfortable lodging on a budget. As someone who has felt the magic of cruising, I am tickled pink for them to enjoy their first cruise.

Couldn't agree more. Only problem is I found it addictive!

Hope they have a crazy good time.

....but it isn't that simple. NCL is running fares a good bit higher than Carnival right now when I researched for our recent cruise. Sure the drink package was included but it was still cheaper to take Carnival and buy the package.

I guess it depends on where and when you want to cruise. I'm sailing on the Vista June 3rd out of Miami and I could go on the Escape for cheaper. I wish I didn't have this Vista booked so long ago, too late to change anything now. If I had it to do over again I'd boo NCL in a heartbeat. It's a no brainer. Vista inside for two people $979 for an 8 day sailing 6/2. NCL Escape inside for two people $899 for a 7 day (one day less) sailing 6/3. Both ships are mega ships, both leave out of Miami. The NCL cruise includes alcohol package, the Vista doesn't. If you add $400 for alcohol package per person to that Vista cruise, you are paying $1379 per person vs $899 on NCL. Granted Vista is one more day but I hardly think that one day is worth $480 per person ($960 a couple). Much better value on NCL. If you get the "pick two perks" NCL also has 3rd and 4th go free as a perk and you can still choose the alcohol pkg as your second choice. Now it turns into an even better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello All - thank you for taking the time to share your opinions and experiences. It is great to validate, that even though contrary to what we were hoping, that it is clear there are no exceptions in fact and in actual anecdotes. I can explain to them that is the reality of the situation and that I can offer them as my gift the on board credit equivalent of the cheers package for 1.

Here are a couple updates:

1) I should have mentioned in the OP that I called Carnival and a Travel Agent a few days ago when reflecting on this. For them the Inside 4B for all 5 came to $1690 all-in. The cheapest 2 cabin configuration was $2,200 since for some reason they didn't do 3 people in 4Bs and so it had to be for a higher cabin class (although still inside). Thus they are looking at $600 more for split cabins with a $300 savings on the unused Cheers package.

2) They normally go to the beach and cram many family members in a room and have no reservations about the tight quarters.

3) They value on their vacation the chance to let loose and a splurge like a Cheers package is something they never get to enjoy in their day to day and would truly make this special and remarkable for them.

Might be a bit early to declare "comfortable lodging" with 5 in a cabin.

We did four in a spa balcony...our two boys were 15 and 13. I said never again. And come to find out, it has been cheaper to book a balcony for 2 and an interior for 2 vs a balcony for 4 on our 2014 and 2016 cruises.

I guess it depends on where and when you want to cruise. I'm sailing on the Vista June 3rd out of Miami and I could go on the Escape for cheaper. I wish I didn't have this Vista booked so long ago, too late to change anything now. If I had it to do over again I'd boo NCL in a heartbeat. It's a no brainer. Vista inside for two people $979 for an 8 day sailing 6/2. NCL Escape inside for two people $899 for a 7 day (one day less) sailing 6/3. Both ships are mega ships, both leave out of Miami. The NCL cruise includes alcohol package, the Vista doesn't. If you add $400 for alcohol package per person to that Vista cruise, you are paying $1379 per person vs $899 on NCL. Granted Vista is one more day but I hardly think that one day is worth $480 per person ($960 a couple). Much better value on NCL. If you get the "pick two perks" NCL also has 3rd and 4th go free as a perk and you can still choose the alcohol pkg as your second choice. Now it turns into an even better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. In my case we had a spa balcony on the Escape( $400.00) value for spa, plus drinks/dining for what I am paying for the Vista next May.

The Vista will end up about $1,000.00 more ( Cheers and Steakhouse, than the Escape.

I, also think 5 in an interior on that class of ship is two twin beds, two bunks and a roll away or a trundle that sits just a few inches off the floor. We went on a cheap all family trip in March on the Triumph and my daughter, her husband and three kids had that set up - the 3 year old had the trundle. Grandma either gets one of the twin beds or has to hoist her petard up the ladder to a bunk bed. They were all happy as pigs in mud because I picked up the tab for most of the trip for both of my kids families as their Christmas gift.

I'm sorry, but if MY mother - in - law was cruising with us and staying in our cabin, I would buy the cheers for her and then proceed to drink my 15 plus the 15 she was allowed ;p

One of us would be sleeping with the fishes, so it would only be crowded until

the long walk off a short plank was complete.

You should see how much a cabin for 2 and a cabin for 3 would cost in total. Possible it would be cheaper than one cabin for 5, and you can put granny and the kids in the 3 person cabin to avoid her paying for cheers.

Agree with this 100%! There are no exceptions, so this is your best bet, OP!

Hopefully they are aware of how small cruise ship interior rooms are. 185 sq ft vs an average hotel room at 330 sq ft. If you have 5 people sleeping at night I very much doubt anyone could get to the bathroom without stepping on someone.

I've always heard that Carnival is pretty much no exceptions to this rule. I have a relative with Type 1 diabetes. She doesn't drink at all, because of her diabetes, but her husband does and wanted to get Cheers for just himself for their last cruise, and buy the Bottomless Bubbles for her as she does like juices. They called the cruise line and were told that even with a doctor's note for her, absolutely no exceptions. He ended up just buying his drinks a la carte - which probably ended up being cheaper as he isn't a big drinker either.

I have to say that I can totally agree with their policy of no exceptions, because once you make one exception, where do you draw the line? If it was me I would just book one room for mom and dad, and another for grandma and the kids. Problem solved.

I feel like it would be pretty clear where to draw the line...a medical exemption based on documentation from a doctor that the person is unable to drink. I highly doubt a doctor will risk their medical license to commit fraud so their patient can share a drink package instead of paying for two.

Carnival doesn't allow exemptions not because it would be too difficult to implement, but because they'll lose money by not forcing people to buy for every adult in the room.

They make everyone purchase it, then if they find out a pregnant woman who was forced to purchase it is using it, they will cut her off for the rest of the cruise. Biggest load of crap I've ever dealt with.

How dare Carnival be more concern for a unborn baby than the parents.

I feel like it would be pretty clear where to draw the line...a medical exemption based on documentation from a doctor that the person is unable to drink. I highly doubt a doctor will risk their medical license to commit fraud so their patient can share a drink package instead of paying for two.

Carnival doesn't allow exemptions not because it would be too difficult to implement, but because they'll lose money by not forcing people to buy for every adult in the room.

I would bet big money that most every doctor would write a note telling Carnival that there patient, healthy or not, should not be drinking 15 drinks a day. And that would not be fraud....just common sense that any educated adult should have.

How dare Carnival be more concern for a unborn baby than the parents.

And totally missing the point. They HAD to purchase , then refused after the fact.

Point being Carnival Shouln't make pregnant women purchased before spending the money.

Carnival's concern should be proactive rather than reactive.

And totally missing the point. They HAD to purchase , then refused after the fact.

Point being Carnival Shouln't make pregnant women purchased before spending the money.

Cheers covers nonalcoholic drinks as well. Drinking while pregnant is abusive.

Doctors write questionable notes all the time. This isn't even a prescription so not sure how they could lose their medical license over it. And sure it a huge slippery slope.

First not sure how many medical conditions there are where you truly cannot have a drop of alcohol. But let's say there are and all those people get notes.

Then add the people who can have a few drinks occasionally but really shouldn't - like the pregnant woman or someone on meds that shouldn't be mixed with alcohol. They get notes

Then people who are fine having a few drinks but shouldn't drink to excess. Which truthfully is everyone - can't see a doctor refusing to write a note based on weight, other medical conditions, meds, and general health; that says that their patient shouldn't buy cheers because their medical advice is to limit their drinking.

Pretty soon half the people on the ship won't have to buy cheers. They should do like NCL and celebrity and just add the package in 'free' with booking so it becomes a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Technically they didn't have to purchase anything. The husband didn't have to buy the drink package and just purchase by the drink. Since the pregnant woman isn't drinking, that would be cheaper than purchasing 2 Cheers packages.

Nobody HAS to purchase it.

Technically they didn't have to purchase anything. The husband didn't have to buy the drink package and just purchase by the drink. Since the pregnant woman isn't drinking, that would be cheaper than purchasing 2 Cheers packages.

In this case, the pregnant woman purchased it with the intention of drinking.

Pretty soon half the people on the ship won't have to buy cheers. They should do like NCL and celebrity and just add the package in 'free' with booking so it becomes a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree with you on this! NCL can do cruises cheaper than Carnival AND include the alcohol package and sometimes one more perk like 3 night of specialty dining. And you know NCL is still making money!

Actually, Carnival would still make money if occasionally two people shared a drink package. Most people are honest, some like to cheat the system. No different than the alcohol smugglers. Most people don't want to be inconvenienced by running back to their cabin to pour a drink from smuggled alcohol or if a couple is at a show, only one can order a drink and then run out to the nearest bar to cheat and get your partner a drink. What a pain in the a** to spend a vacation like that. I really can not see so many people cheating where it would make a financial difference to Carnival. NCL can just include it in the fare with no additional cost, Carnival should do the same or at the least let one person in the cabin purchase if they want to do that.