Customs Forms

volmoma

YEAH!! No more customs forms to fill out as of May 1st..but one question. Guest Services quoted $800+ you fill out form. Room steward quoted $10,000+. I'm leaning toward Guest Services..[emoji4]just glad for one less thing to worry about. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually both are correct. You need to declare more than $800 of merchandise acquired abroad, or if you have more than $10,000 in cash or cash equivalents like bearer bonds no matter where you got it.

If you took $10,000 out, and did not declare it, well "Lucy, you some splainin to do."

Actually both are correct. You need to declare more than $800 of merchandise acquired abroad, or if you have more than $10,000 in cash or cash equivalents like bearer bonds no matter where you got it.

Right. As indicated at the back of the Customs form.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last cruise, I handed the form to the agent and he looked at it and read we had nothing over $50 to claim. He then preceded to ask me if I purchased anything like jewelry, etc., while he was looking at the jewelry I was wearing at the time. I sensed he was questioning my answer, so I preceded to tell him we cruise for the experience not to shop, lol. He then laughed and said have a great day. Never had anyone question me before about this, thought it was odd or either he was bored with his job that day.

I prefer verbally declaring as we do when we cross the land border. When we came back Saturday from Montreal the CBP Officer asked if we were bringing anything back and I said "just a couple of t-shirts from the concert" and we were on our way, 10 minutes later we are home.

On our last cruise, I handed the form to the agent and he looked at it and read we had nothing over $50 to claim. He then preceded to ask me if I purchased anything like jewelry, etc., while he was looking at the jewelry I was wearing at the time. I sensed he was questioning my answer, so I preceded to tell him we cruise for the experience not to shop, lol. He then laughed and said have a great day. Never had anyone question me before about this, thought it was odd or either he was bored with his job that day.

Thankfully he was having a good day.

Had he had a burr up his butt, he could have confiscated your jewelry until YOU proved to the Customs agency that you did in fact own this jewelry before you left the US.

There are legal forms available that Customs signs before you leave the country so that you can prove beyond a doubt that you owned said property before you left the country.

This has happened to me and I learned the hard way.

Never had this problem returning from a cruise but have experienced it returning to the US via land crossing and international flight.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP%20Form%204457.pdf

BUT, you will have to verbally answer the questions by the agent.

I rather fill out a form.

Not true. They just looked at our passports and sent us right on through. No questions asked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Never say, "Nothing". Took longer than 10 minutes to explain that we just drove up to Vancouver (from Seattle) to have dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Driving across the border is always more complicated than stepping off of a cruise ship

The longest a customs agent ever kept us was a few years ago when they checked my daughter's passport and noticed she had lost a ton of weight since her picture was made. The agent then told her about his difficulty losing weight and wanted to know how she did it, etc. I'm sure the people behind us were less than amused.

Driving across the border is always more complicated than stepping off of a cruise ship

Not in my experience but a lot depends where you cross. If I cross at the border that is 8 miles from my house it's actually better than stepping off a cruise ship because there aren't any lines to contend with. (Going up to Montreal last Friday the Canadian agent wanted to see our concert tickets and our hotel reservation in addition to our IDs and even still we were on our way in well under 5 minutes. Coming back was even quicker on the US side.)

We just came back on 5/11/17 and had to fill out the form. The people who didn't fill out the form actually slowed down the line because they were made to fill it out at the customs desk. Our agent asked us a few questions then smiled and told us to have a good day.

If you get the card...fill it out!

Happy sailing :)

Just off Dream today and everyone still had to fill out the customs forms. Although when we arrived back in NOLA, the guy was just taking them from everybody and not even looking at them. He didn't even check all of our birth certificates. He did ask my youngest son (11) what his birthday was lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums