Adding a second person to a booking help...

Hi everyone, I could really use some advice. So I booked a solo cabin in the large interior for the September 10, 2017 cruise on the RCCL Allure of the Seas. I booked during the WOW sale for $1583 plus got $200 OBC, so being solo they gave me $400. A close friend of mine is able to go now, so I wanted to call RCCL and add my friend thinking its a simple process.

Well, the rep picks up and I advise what I am doing and say I want to add an existing person and he says no problem that would be $800. Imagine my shock at this, and say, how can it be that much to add a person. I explain that I already pay for double occupancy and I should only pay taxes and fees, so it should be about $143. After this we debate back and forth and out of the blue he says I can get the current promotion and pay the $143 but ill lose all obc. THis I just bazaar to me, I don't see why I can keep my current situation and just pay the taxes and fees, did I explain something wrong? What should I do?

Hi everyone, I could really use some advice. So I booked a solo cabin in the large interior for the September 10, 2017 cruise on the RCCL Allure of the Seas. I booked during the WOW sale for $1583 plus got $200 OBC, so being solo they gave me $400. A close friend of mine is able to go now, so I wanted to call RCCL and add my friend thinking its a simple process.

Well, the rep picks up and I advise what I am doing and say I want to add an existing person and he says no problem that would be $800. Imagine my shock at this, and say, how can it be that much to add a person. I explain that I already pay for double occupancy and I should only pay taxes and fees, so it should be about $143. After this we debate back and forth and out of the blue he says I can get the current promotion and pay the $143 but ill lose all obc. THis I just bazaar to me, I don't see why I can keep my current situation and just pay the taxes and fees, did I explain something wrong? What should I do?

There's not much you can do except learn from this for the next time.

Better to have booked two people in the beginning, and then remove one if they cannot go.

There's not much you can do except learn from this for the next time.

Better to have booked two people in the beginning, and then remove one if they cannot go.

Yeah, that makes sense to me, I have booked in the past solo and added someone no problems on a different cruise line. I just didn't think it would be such an issue you know? This is more surprising than anything.

Yeah, that makes sense to me, I have booked in the past solo and added someone no problems on a different cruise line. I just didn't think it would be such an issue you know? This is more surprising than anything.

Several years ago this would not have been a big deal on Royal. However, they made a major change to their booking engine, maybe 3 years ago (Ellen would know) and basically if you sneeze while looking at your booking, it gets re-priced. People are constantly posting how they just looked at their booking and it got re-priced. I suspect this is not a difficult problem to fix, but being that fixing it would only cause less cash flow, you can guess what the priority is to fix it.

Generally when you change occupancy, the cabin gets repriced to the current rate. These "sale" rates and OBC rules are so finicky that it's very hard to know what will happen when you need to make a change.

I don't know about this. I booked a cabin for three and then a few months later added a fourth person. They just added an amount equal to what I had paid for the third person, they didn't reprice the entire cabin - even though prices for the cabin had gone up from when I originally booked. (Doing a mock booking, I found the same cabin was more expensive overall, although the price to add a third and fourth person was still the same.)

I booked during the WOW sale for $1583 plus got $200 OBC, so being solo they gave me $400.

I know not the point of your post, but I travel solo and they have never doubled my OBC. Is this something I should be asking for?

Brenda

Call back, you should only pay for the taxes and fees.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Forums mobile app

Perhaps you can try to escalate it with someone at customer relations. It does seem a little ridiculous.

This is exactly what I did when I had more time later that night. I called back, got the same answer, vented to him, asked for a manager and after some work got to keep the OBC and rate and only paid taxes and fees.

A few years back ( 2013 ) I booked solo for a Coastal Cruise then a friend wanted to go so added her, the total price didn't change but taxes & port fees were added. I can't speak for now. I was going regardless, then she drops out so paid the price I had booked for originally except the port fees & taxes