Disappointed in POA

frankdp

Not sure what homework would have revealed the bad service piece or why a staff made up of mostly Americans would be a bad thing.

I've read similar posts about POA before, and I'm a NCL fan. But if there are numerous negative posts there's something there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the Pride of Aloha in 2007 and even then the reviews for the ship were not good. When we got there we quickly realized that this is not the NCL experience rather a floating hotel. So once we put our mindset that way, we were good to go. Hawaii is beautiful and this is a great way to see many of the islands without having to pack and unpack.

I should back up and say that the Pride of Aloha is the only NCL ship I've ever been on and back then it was called NCLAmerica. So I'm looking forward to a genuine NCL ship in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

„Unfortunately“ POA is working under american flag – very very different situation. Advantage is – they don´t need to include a “foreign port” in their itinerary.

But they have to employ mostly americans, pay minimum wages, honor labour rights and so on… and sometimes (or often) work ethics of american citizens is not as high as from Philippines or from Indonesia.

The "Merchant Marine Act of 1920," often called The "Jones Act," required U.S.-flagged vessels to be built in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and documented ("flagged") under the laws of the United States.It also required that all officers and 75% of the crew be U.S. citizens. Vessels satisfying these requirements comprised the "Jones Act Fleet," and only these vessels were allowed to engage in "cabotage", or carrying passengers or cargo between two U.S. ports.

Another important aspect of the Act is that it allowed injured sailors to obtain compensation from their employers for the negligence of the owner, the captain, or fellow members of the crew.

They had the same problems since they start under american flag - whatever you experienced is the very very enhanced situation. It was worse at the beginning.

While the requirements of the Jones Act that you posted are 100% correct, the Jones Act only applies to cargo vessels. The POA operates under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886, a much older cabotage law. It's requirements are nearly the same as the Jones Act, and cruise line customer service reps constantly incorrectly refer to the Jones Act, when they mean the PVSA. And, because of the special enabling legislation involving the POA, which was completed in a foreign shipyard, the vessel can only operate in the Hawaiian Island trade, or when carrying passengers to/from a shipyard. A US flag ship must also use a US shipyard for repairs, as all repairs done at a foreign shipyard are taxed (Customs duty) at 50% of the total bill.

I was on the Pride of Aloha in 2007 and even then the reviews for the ship were not good. When we got there we quickly realized that this is not the NCL experience rather a floating hotel. So once we put our mindset that way, we were good to go. Hawaii is beautiful and this is a great way to see many of the islands without having to pack and unpack.

I should back up and say that the Pride of Aloha is the only NCL ship I've ever been on and back then it was called NCLAmerica. So I'm looking forward to a genuine NCL ship in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with your thought that you decided to look at this ship as a floating hotel. We are planning to enjoy the cruise/floating hotel as it will enable my DD. DGD and myself to enjoy many of the islands of Hawaii without traveling to and fro and unpacking once. We will even get laundry done for free (big sigh of relief there).

NCL in Hawaii is night and day different than it was back in 2006 and 2007 era. Back then it was a train wreck with the 3 ships in Hawaii.

We went last year after saying we'd never go again but reviews had gotten much more positive. Other than being in Hawaii and yes the mostly American crew, it felt very much like any other NCL ship (good bad or indifferent - to us, mostly good).

I would agree about the bathrooms - poorly maintained especially the ones right off the pool.

My wife and I very recently completed a trip around the Hawaiian Islands on Pride of America to which we added 4 days in Honolulu provided by NCL. Thank God the itinerary was amazing and the ports of call were wonderful because the ship and service were far less than we had hoped for.

. . .

This cruise appealed to us as a great way to get a good taste of the Islands without having to go the DIY route. Pack and unpack numerous times, hop on and off puddle jumpers to get from island to island, blah, blah, blah and we were totally pleased with this aspect of the deal. . .

If you had done your homework you would know that you don't fly puddle jumpers around the Hawaiian Islands, you fly on nice Boeing 737s.

That doesn't change the fact that you do have to pack and unpack if you do it yourself, but it is a much nicer trip that cruising on the POA.

I prefer to give God the credit for the fabulous Hawaiian Islands but I suppose if you were so inclined you could give the credit to NCL, I guess.

I didn't intend to come across as pitiful when saying I had to ask for water refills, just speaking to the service level in the dining room. It's ok though, flame away.

Yes thank God for the beautiful Hawaiian Islands

We cruised POA in 2013 for our honeymoon. We ran into some nasty crew members but also others who were kind and enjoyed their job. I think that you will find that on any ship, for any cruise line - just like you would at any company you work for.

I think POA offers the best experience of the Hawaiian islands. We chose this ship for the itinerary, not the ship. Went into it with no expectations and came out happy on the other end.