What is the weirdest thing you ever seen happening on an NCL ship! Just Curious.

tgloersen

We just returned from the May 12 Boston to Bermuda sailing on the Dawn. We were fortunate enough to stay in the Garden Villa. You have a full set of floor to ceiling windows overlooking the pool. Nearly every night there was a different couple "enjoying" the Hot Tub in the wee hours of the morning. They would all look around and see an empty deck and assume that no one could see them. You know what happens when you assume something...

So glad I don't use the hot tubs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One morning on the Jewel at the Garden Café they were playing "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin. Unique song for breakfast to say the least :cool:

Pretty cool though :cool:

For those of you not familiar with the song here it is

Edited by david_sobe

Last cruise on the Gem (4-29 - 5-6-17) an older couple showed up to breakfast and lunch everyday at Cagney's dressed in what looked like homemade matching Dashiki like outfits. Apparently they cruise the Gem every couple of weeks.

I was going to mention them!!! We have sailed on the Gem with them at least 3 times already. They can always be found in bar city dancing every night. Every day a new matching dashiki outfit for the two of them. You can't miss them.

And yes, I have been caught by the husband and danced with him for a quick minute.

The weirdest thing was we docked back in NY after a Gem cruise and the Breakaway happened to be there as well ( this was Feb 2014 maybe, super bowl weekend for sure). I went out on the balcony and saw a very large completely naked man reading the newspaper on his BA balcony. Apparently many people saw him that morning as he was the talk of the ship at breakfast.

Edited by BritChickBN1

I went thru the replies and didn't see anything about this one. Not really weird, but unusual. We were on the Getaway last year while the ship was crossing the Caribbean, and ran across a small, makeshift raft with a bunch of Cuban refugees (including a pregnant woman) trying to make their way to America, but they had gotten lost and had been at sea for several weeks and were found in the middle of the Caribbean. It was nighttime and the ship kept a spotlight on the raft the whole time. The ship stopped (of course) and brought them all on board, but they ended up in Mexico (at the next cruise port, Cozumel, I think) instead of the States.

I think I was on the same cruise! We didn't see the raft but in speaking with the Captain later that evening at the cocktail reception, he mentioned it, and also had to cut his time at the reception short because of it.

Few years back on the Dawn, DH quietly told me to leave the room. He did not want to scare me as a bat was hanging from balcony curtain! Apparently got in when we were in St Lucia but that was the day before. Was that in our room for 24 hours?? Called security and they sent someone up who called down to get someone to remove the bat . They checked room thoroughly to insure bat traveled solo Have never left our balcony door open overnight again

• Haha 1

On our first cruise, our flight was out of MSP. There was this couple who sat near us that had matching sweatshirts that had a photo of a dog on it and the saying "My best friend has hairy legs". Turns out this middle age couple was on our cruise as well - and we saw them all the time and they always had these sweatshirts on - its like they never took them off. Made for a good laugh all cruise long and even to this day we laugh if one of us brings it up.

Few years back on the Dawn, DH quietly told me to leave the room. He did not want to scare me as a bat was hanging from balcony curtain! Apparently got in when we were in St Lucia but that was the day before. Was that in our room for 24 hours?? Called security and they sent someone up who called down to get someone to remove the bat . They checked room thoroughly to insure bat traveled solo Have never left our balcony door open overnight again

OMG!!! I think I would've had a heart attack!

St. Lucia? Don't they have fruit bats, which aren't like the tiny mice with wings we have up North?

We were on the Escape last year in August doing a B2B, on the first half of the cruise which was the Eastern Caribbean leg, there was a couple who regardless of how hot it was, wore leather pants and jackets the entire cruise. I don't think the changed their clothes at all based on a few elevator rides we shared.

We were walking through a lounge on the POA when I heard someone call my name. It was a former pastor and his family. But what was really weird was our tour tickets had accidentally been delivered to his cabin. He said he knew when he saw the names it had to be us.

On our recent cruise on the Getaway, there was a couple, I'd guess them to be in their early 40s, who took small stuffed bears with them everywhere. I saw the bears sitting out by the pool, pretending to eat at Savor, greeting the captain at the Latitudes party, etc. My parents overheard them tell someone that the bears were over 20 years old and had recently gotten new shirts for this cruise.

That's pretty good,not weird at all. We sometimes take a hometown newspaper along to snap a photo including it at various places around the world. But if you want something really interesting along this line, look for "Florence the Zebra" on the Princess threads. Marla, the writer, takes a small stuffed zebra along on cruises and includes her in various photos. That in itself is a minor point--the major one is that Marla is a superb writer, and a very interesting traveloguer, a Canadian to whom I would refer anyone for an interesting read, Check her out.

Hi, Marla!

• Like 1

On our last cruise the couple in the next cabin spent an hour on the first day taping off all of the seams in the balcony divider (sides. top and bottom). Can only imagine what was happening out there all week. They removed all of the tape on the last morning.

There was a wedding couple on Epic in January. They marched thru the main pool area, everyone cheered and clapped. As soon as they headed toward a certain set of stairs I knew what was going to happen: they both went down the 'toilet bowl' water slide in their wedding clothes!

IMG_0627_zpsfpij4beh.jpg

• Like 1

Have a few stories

First would be from the Norway , for those that don't know the ship it had a large back section, somewhat similar to what is on the titanic . At the end of this was a flag poll hanging about 15 feet over the back of the ship .

Least to say a very drunk woman took off her bra and hung it from the very end of the poll during late at night and for the entire trip the bra hung from the flag poll. Yes she climbed out drunk when the ship was at sea .

Other story is from my most current cruise from the Breakway , during the ask the captain q&a , there a group of woman that asked the captain where the poo went , then continued to ask about hormones being put back into the ocean from the medicines that are ingested from passengers and are left in the poo .

Captain put them in there place explaining how the water they take from the ocean is dirtier then what they put back . Group of three woman then stand up and take off shirts to show shirts underneath saying cruise ships are evil and poison the ocean , etc

After they are removed captain then comments about how the three woman paided money to go on this ship and had to have gone to the washroom at least once by then

There was a wedding couple on Epic in January. They marched thru the main pool area, everyone cheered and clapped. As soon as they headed toward a certain set of stairs I knew what was going to happen: they both went down the 'toilet bowl' water slide in their wedding clothes!

This is outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This didn't happen on a cruise ship per se but is NCL-cruise related. I recently joined a Facebook Bermuda group (private group). Another group member contacted me via Messenger and said he was also going to be cruising on the Breakaway this summer and asked me a couple of questions about our plans. It seemed like a casual chat, and then, out of nowhere, he proceded to send me a picture of himself from a previous NCL cruise--of him in a Scottish kilt, mooning the camera (and now me). He then commented that he liked my eyes and could see them smiling. (I'm deducing that he could see my FB profile picture?). Yes, I realize he could also be part of this Cruise Critic forum and might even reading this as I type it--but oh well for him. He clearly is lacking in inhibition (and in social graces).

Just remembered one from the Pearl last year.

DW and I were on the deck overlooking pool. DW spotted a woman using the fabric thing they put across the foot

of the bed as a bathing suit cover up.

Ewww. I don't even like to sit on that thing fully dressed. I've noticed it's a different one now and they put it back on every morning after they make the bed. Even if I heave it in the closet or hide it under the bed.

He'd find it. Drape it across the foot. I hope they use fresh ones for each week.

It's not the old 'put your luggage here' fabric thing either. Which was even worse. I get it. They don't want you to wreck (?) the pure white comforter. But that thing is gross. [emoji40]

• Like 1

I was on the New Year's Eve cruise with Ambermae.

The young lady was leaning over her balcony railing trying to talk with her cousin above her. She leaned too far over between 7 P.M. and 7:30 P.M. She landed thankfully on the metal roof over the outside dining area of Ocean Blue. The Staff Captain who was having his dinner there, The Beverage Manager and the Restaurant Manager Tanberg were the first to reach her. They all thought she had died until she started crying. Very gently they got her onto a backboard and handed her down to many waiting hands of staff. It was decided to take her back to Miami with us. Upon arrival, she was taken to the Spinal Cord Center at the University of MIami.

The last report I had on her was in early April, she was still paralyzed from the waist down.

How awful [emoji37]

Honestly, I think is weird the people who paid for a vacation and when they get on board is constant bitchin, the food is too cold, the line is too long, the show is not good, the pool is too small, i can go on and on...stay home and you will have things they way you want them :cool: unless some things merit for you to complain about relax and enjoy you are on vacation.:-)

THIS!!!! My husband and I have made a joke out of the complaints we have heard. Alain (hotel manager on the Dawn) told us he received hate mail after the refurb about the artwork in the dining room... people told him they would never sail NCL again..over the ART IN THE DINING ROOM!

We also have heard people throwing fits over the stupidest stuff, so now whenever ANYTHING goes wrong... we get silly. I stubbed my toe, "I am NEVER sailing NCL again!" It rained for 10 minutes "I am NEVER sailing NCL again!"

Shoot, even at home... I dropped my dinner plate and my husband said, "That's it, I am NEVER sailing NCL again!"

We crack ourselves up, I guess we are just weird :) We live our lives trying to always appreciate the good, and not let bumps in the road ruin our day. Kindness is SO much better than being mad all the time.

Have a blessed day everyone!

• Like 3

I'm just off the Spirit! (Came home yesterday) myself, hubby and our 4 year old daughter were all on our 1st ever cruise.

My daughter has long red hair. Not strawberry blonde, but full on ginger. It's gorgeous if I do say so myself lol. She gets a lot of positive attention because of her hair and this cruise was no different.

What was weird was that I was asked if it was natural?! Did I dye my daughter's hair. Asked not just once, but SIX TIMES by staff on board.

I get that red headed blue eyed children are rare in the UK, even more so in the states, and unheard of in asian countries.

But 'do I dye my 4 year olds hair?' Seemed a little odd lol

One morning on the Jewel at the Garden Café they were playing "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin. Unique song for breakfast to say the least :cool:

Pretty cool though :cool:

For those of you not familiar with the song here it is

Lol!

I have a song one. Staff had just been called to their 'battleship drill' while R.E.M. It's the end of the world was playing :p

• Haha 1

Well, on a trip to the Pier in San Francisco, I ordered crab cakes and returned them. I don't want to pay $15+ for breading, and that's what it was 90% breading and filler and very little crab.

Sounds like a complaint I could have made on one of my NCL cruises.... they advertised the Crab Cakes as being Maryland Crab Cakes.... as someone from Maryland I did mention to the waiter that these were not Maryland style Crab Cakes... in fact they were not even using real crab meat but rather Krab... sometimes one needs to speak up. 😀