What is the weirdest thing you ever seen happening on an NCL ship! Just Curious.

tgloersen

On the GA last spring, a man (allegedly drunk and after a fight with his girlfriend) jumped from the top deck onto the Waterfront deck below. Killed instantly. That part of the ship was closed for the duration of the cruise. Very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
I'm just off the Spirit! (Came home yesterday) myself, hubby and our 4 year old daughter were all on our 1st ever cruise.

My daughter has long red hair. Not strawberry blonde, but full on ginger. It's gorgeous if I do say so myself lol. She gets a lot of positive attention because of her hair and this cruise was no different.

What was weird was that I was asked if it was natural?! Did I dye my daughter's hair. Asked not just once, but SIX TIMES by staff on board.

I get that red headed blue eyed children are rare in the UK, even more so in the states, and unheard of in asian countries.

But 'do I dye my 4 year olds hair?' Seemed a little odd lol

This is so true. My 3 year old niece has beautiful long red curls, like barrel locks, and my sister has been asked the same thing. Strangers will reach out all the time and touch her hair, ask if it is real, and ask if it is the natural color!!! This has been going on for the past 2 years. Who would dye a toddlers hair??? It sometimes gets my sister squeamish when total strangers at a store start touching her daughter's hair though.

On the BA last month and eating lunch with my friend when a woman walked up to our table and put her plate down to use the condiments. When she was finished, she started chatting with us while placing all the wrapped utensils into her tote bag and walked away. Had to ask crew for more when the rest of our families sat down.

• Like 1

People who, after not participating in the roll call in any way, shape, or form, still show up for the Meet & Greet.

I've never understood the reasoning for wanting to Meet & Greet a bunch of people whom you couldn't be bothered to even say "hello" to one single time pre-cruise. IMHO, there is a line between "lurker" and "stalker"...and showing up unannounced crosses that line. "Hello...what is your name?" "Oh, you don't know me....but I've been watching and following you and now I'm here in person...ta-daaaaa!" :eek::o

Might not be the weirdest thing, but it is certainly up there....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

People who, after not participating in the roll call in any way, shape, or form, still show up for the Meet & Greet.

I've never understood the reasoning for wanting to Meet & Greet a bunch of people whom you couldn't be bothered to even say "hello" to one single time pre-cruise. IMHO, there is a line between "lurker" and "stalker"...and showing up unannounced crosses that line. "Hello...what is your name?" "Oh, you don't know me....but I've been watching and following you and now I'm here in person...ta-daaaaa!" :eek::o

haha well it offsets the numbers who say they are going to turn up for the meet and greet but never do so the provided refreshments by the cruiseline go to waste!

We were on a Carnival cruise with a group of our friends. Our best friends were next door and put out the room service card for just coffee and pastries. Someone came along and filled out the whole card doubled and it was delivered. It was trays and trays of food including capers. They were dumbfounded and dropped a whole tray in their room. Capers and eggs everywhere. He swore it was my husband, but he was wrong.

I coordinated a meet and greet on one cruise, and because we were a smaller group I did some extras:

- I printed name badges with names and cruise critic names

- I put the name badges in plastic card holders on lanyards people could use for their key cards

- I made little gift bags with a few things people could use on the cruise (deck of cards, can wrap, note pad, that kind of stuff).

There must have been some sort of gathering for people travelling solo on our ship (we did not have studios on this ship) and one of the people who was there must have told everyone about the meet and greet the next day. There were 20 (twenty!!) people that came that:

a: hadn't signed up in advance, because:

b: they weren't on our roll call, because

c: they were not on cruise critic. At all.

One: I totally wasn't prepared for them...no name tags, no gifts.

Two: They kept talking to me about stuff like I either worked for Norwegian or for the Cruise Critic website. Asking me questions about the NCL or CC website, stuff like that. Sorry, I don't work for them, I just ... never mind.

I wanted to tell them they couldn't attend, it was a private event, but I didn't catch on right away that they were all together and all in the wrong. And five or so were in, as another one came to the table to pick up the name badge and door prize I didn't have for them, someone else would say "Mary! Over here!"

Who does that? Who invites a bunch of people to someone else's party?

• 2 weeks later...
On our recent cruise on the Getaway, there was a couple, I'd guess them to be in their early 40s, who took small stuffed bears with them everywhere. I saw the bears sitting out by the pool, pretending to eat at Savor, greeting the captain at the Latitudes party, etc. My parents overheard them tell someone that the bears were over 20 years old and had recently gotten new shirts for this cruise.

That's adorable

On our recent cruise on the Getaway, there was a couple, I'd guess them to be in their early 40s, who took small stuffed bears with them everywhere. I saw the bears sitting out by the pool, pretending to eat at Savor, greeting the captain at the Latitudes party, etc. My parents overheard them tell someone that the bears were over 20 years old and had recently gotten new shirts for this cruise.

OMG I think we sat with them or perhaps their parents almost 19 years ago! It was the inaugural season of the Grand Princess and two very nice couples at our table (assigned seating in those days) brought 4 small stuffed animals to every meal dressed for the attire of the evening, including three formal nights. The stuffed animals sat in the middle of the table in front of their "parents". They ordered meals for the stuffed animals but at least they ( the couples) ate the food they ordered for themselves as well as the "meals" for the stuffed animals. We still shake our heads in wonder and no we never got a clear explanation as to why they brought the stuffed animals onboard. They told us they would be onboard for four weeks including the TA and I assume their stuffed animals accompanied them the entire trip. Wonder if they had their own passports? :confused:

I ordered room service for breakfast and asked for extra bacon. When the tray arrived there was a dinner plate with a silver cover on it. When I lifted it there was a HUGE mound of bacon. I laughed so hard and then decided to count the pieces of bacon. It was 35 pieces.

• Haha 1

Didn't happen on NCL and didn't happen to me (it was my parents) but it's still a great story:

In my parent's dining table of 10 every night there were always the same two seats open, until the last night when the couple finally showed up. After exchanging pleasantries they started looking at the menu. The woman asked my mom "Where are the prices?" My mom explained that the meals were included with your fare. The lady then turned and smacked her husband hard in the arm.

It turned out they went to the buffet every night because he thought they couldn't afford to eat in the fancy dining room, but agreed to splurge on their last night at sea.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Didn't happen on NCL and didn't happen to me (it was my parents) but it's still a great story:

In my parent's dining table of 10 every night there were always the same two seats open, until the last night when the couple finally showed up. After exchanging pleasantries they started looking at the menu. The woman asked my mom "Where are the prices?" My mom explained that the meals were included with your fare. The lady then turned and smacked her husband hard in the arm.

It turned out they went to the buffet every night because he thought they couldn't afford to eat in the fancy dining room, but agreed to splurge on their last night at sea.

I literally laughed out loud at that.

wow, what a waste.

• Like 1

Not as weird as some of the above but....people asking the cast of Million Dollar Quartet if they play their own instruments [emoji450]!

That's almost as bad as "how do I know which pictures are mine?"

Probably not sure what Meet and Greet is all about and came to check it out. Or..... came to see if there were any "perks" to be had for attending the Meet and Greet?

I have had "new" members show up for meet and greet. Friends of those cruising and coming to check out what it was all about . :)

On the Gem two years ago-

There was this man who wore the same red shirt the entire cruise. We notice him randomly roaming the hallways throughout the cruise, talking to himself.

One day we go to Win, Lose, or Draw. You basically pick a card and have to draw what's on it, and then your team guesses what you are drawing. The red shirt guy shows up halfway into the game and demands that he gets to draw next. He is paired with a team of three young girls.

He goes up and draws a card and then tells the guy running it that he is drawing what he wants. He proceeds to draw something that I won't mention (hint: a man has one). The girls look confused and kind of disgusted and the red shirt guy says, "I was drawing Dick Cheney, but I didn't have time to draw the chain and the knee." And then he started hysterically laughing and ran away.

After the game was over, we had a talk with the guy who was running it. He said that red shirt guy was on the ship by himself for three weeks, and they already had had issues with him. He apparently stole another young girl's wallet, took her to the front desk, and tried to frame the girl, saying that it was his wallet that she stole.

Anyways, as the cruise went on we saw him around, mostly showing off his moves in Bliss at night.

On the last day, we go to the Atrium to get ready to disembark. We spot him in the middle of a talk with some lady, and we heard him say something along the lines of, "I wish they let you bring guns onboard because I would shoot up the whole ship." WHAT???

If you are familiar with the layout of the Jewel-class ships, O'Sheehan's is on the upper level of the atrium, and there is a big screen that spans the two floors. They were playing a video of the crew waving goodbye to everyone. Normal enough.

We go up to O'Sheehan's and see the guy in front of the screen, swearing at the crew members on it, because he wouldn't be disembarking like everyone else. He then began to lie on the floor and then began some sort of a dance (there was no music playing). I do have a video, but I'm not sure anyone would like to see it...

Anyways, that's the weirdest thing I've seen from my cruising experience.

• Like 2