Pharmacy Question

CMOTO

I will be on the Dream in September. We are stopping at Montego Bay, Cayman Island, and Cozumel.

Are there pharmacy's at any of these ports? If so, where are they, in the tourist part or do you have to get a taxi to get to them?

I am not flying so if i do buy stuff will i have any trouble getting it back on the ship and then off the ship to get to my car?

Is there anyone that does go to these places when they are on a cruise because its cheaper?

Any advice is welcome........ I've never been to one before!

Thanks for the help!;):D:cool:

I am not going to comment on legality but simply answer your questions. Cozumel has pharmacies (several of them) just outside the port. They sell all kinds of things that are only available by Rx in the US and they will sell to cruise ship passengers. I have never seen an issue bringing them back onto the ship or debarking in the US.

Thank you A&Jfamily.....so can you walk to the ones in Cozumel? Or will I need to get a taxi? I wondered if the ones right off the ship will be more expensive than if i walked a few blocks!!!

I think any pharmacy outside of the cruise port but within walking distance of the Puerto Maya and International piers will have the same or similar pricing on the same products. You could possibly save a little by going downtown but then there is the cost of a cab ride each way.

There are about 70 pharmacies in Cozumel, many in residential neighborhoods you would not want to go to, and I can't imagine each and every one are each independently owned, but are part of a group.

Don't expect most of them to look like CVS or Walgreens.

Edited by AdGuyMG

You can easily walk to the pharmacies in Cozumel. There is one right inside of the port area and several just outside of it that are a bit cheaper. There are also several downtown. My husband walked to one from the ship one year when I had a nasty cold, to get me some cold meds and vapor rub.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

:) Let us keep things hypothetical. Voltaren gel - the double strength type - is (hypothetically) much cheaper in Cozumel than elsewhere.

Those hypothetical "pharmacies" outside the port are more expensive than others. There is also a small hypothetical store with a pharmacy counter inside the port. Very expensive. But convenient.

If you take a hypothetical taxi to Punta Langosta mall, there is a great price pharmacy called "Discount Pharmacy" on the lower level near the Starbucks. They have a sandwich board outside the store.

Voltaren Gel and z pack very reasonable. Buy z pack and other anitbiotics there. If you then walk 2 blocks back toward the ship you will find the hypothetical Mega Store - a great excursion. IF you need meds like blood pressure stuff they can help you out, with a real, not hypothetical. pharmacist And if in stock their prices on Voltaren are the best. And you can pick up any other supplies you need.

Then take the hypothetical taxi back to the port ($10 each way no matter the number of people - includes tip). You will have no trouble entering the ship or (hypothetically) the U.S. :cool:

Thanks everyone, I am taking "hypothetical" notes!!! LOL

Even if I didnt buy anything I would still like to visit and see what they offer!!

Keep the advice coming, I'm open to all!!!

In my experience, the pharmacy inside the port - which is run by CCL - will not sell things that require a US Rx. The ones outside the ports are loaded with tons of common Rx scripts. The prices appear to vary between pharmacies and I have seen people negotiate a lower price given the quantities purchased. I trust the poster above that the mall option is likely the cheapest but certainly not how I wish to spend my time in Cozumel whereas the stores just outside the port are easy. I guess it would depend on if someone was looking for say an antibiotic because they are a survivalist and wanted a stash on hand, or looking truly looking for a financial windfall/better deal on say ****** than what they can find at home. If price is your issue, the trek may be worth it; if you are stocking the cabinets, then it might not be.

We were walking around in Cozumel when I realized I had left my Advil on the ship. I can't stand or walk for very long without incurring back pain. We located a drug store easily and I bought a small supply. Not a long walk. Price wasn't cheap which is why I didn't buy much.

Is there anyone that does go to these places when they are on a cruise because its cheaper?

It is cheaper but not the reason we did. Forgot my gout medicine and my wife was able to buy it in Cozumel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been to Cozumel 3 times, we usually stay on the ship cuz we have done everything we have wanted to do there. Then I hear about the Pharmacy. I'm really looking for the Retin-A face cream and maybe a few anitbiotics but nothing in vast quantity.

When you are saying "outside the port"....do you still mean in walking distance.

To be truthful, even tho I have been there alot we dont go out and explore. I'm open to taking a taxi, but if i can walk to outside of the port that will be fine too.

When I say outside the port I mean walk out of the port - down the walkway toward the street passing the taxis. There are at least 2 or 3 I can recall within a block or two once you cross the street. As another poster said they are small shops - not giant Walgreens or CVS type places - mixed in with other meechants

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the Carnival pier, Walk past the taxi stand and cross the street, turn right less than a block you will find at least two pharmacy's.

As to the legality, for what it is worth, I was told by customs, "you really are supposed to have a prescription but as long as you declare it and only have enough for personal use we usually let it slide". Operative words in that sentence supposed to and usually. I have no idea how much is considered personal use.

Lastly, you do know that all antibiotics are not created equally, right? For example some work better on gram positive while other are better for gram negative bacteria.

In January most places if you needed a pprescription in the US you had to have a valid one to buy it. This included antibiotics.

This is just not true, we just bought Cipro over the counter, you can easily get almost any antibiotic over the counter. We were looking for Xanax which is a controlled substance and one pharmacy said no you need a prescription and the next said $150 for 30. With insurance they are $10 for 30 in the states. Legally or not you can probably get a pharmacy to sell you Oxycontin for the right price.

This is just not true, we just bought Cipro over the counter, you can easily get almost any antibiotic over the counter. We were looking for Xanax which is a controlled substance and one pharmacy said no you need a prescription and the next said $150 for 30. With insurance they are $10 for 30 in the states. Legally or not you can probably get a pharmacy to sell you Oxycontin for the right price.

Our friends tried to buy antibiotics zpack and amoxicillan and were told no unless they had a prescription at 2 different places. So it may depend on the place and person behind the counter but that was the experience in January

I got a Z-pack last month at the pharmacy inside the port area and no prescription was needed. I felt like I had an ear infection coming so I picked it up. It may have been more expensive than at other places, but no mention of a prescription. I did, in fact, have an ear infection, but I wound up being too chicken to take the meds I bought in Mexico, just in case it wasn´t actually a bacterial infection, and went to urgent care when I got back home. Where, obviously, I was prescribed a Z-pack.

I priced the asthma inhalers, cheaper for me than at home with my copayment, but I didn´t need any. Kicking myself for not checking the price of the voltaren gel, which I get for tendinitis in my foot.