Explorer of the seas 5/26/17 overbooked

Today I got a phone call from a random 541 number I didn't recognize. I thought it could possibly be the upgrade fairy.

It was Royal calling to ask me if I would move my sailing one week to alaska memorial day weekend, one week earlier. If i did, they would upgrade my room and they would give me a refund of 50% back. While on the phone, I asked them why they were offering and they said they are "extremely over booked". Due to travel arrangements and work schedules, I wasn't able to take them up on the offer, but just a heads up to anyone on my sailing you may be getting a call. If you're flexible, it may be worth it.

Definitely glad I picked my specific room and didn't go with a "guaranteed" room, I would be panicking aittle. They must be desperate if they are calling someone with an interior state room on an Alaskan cruise lol.

It's starting to sound like they have either made a significant change to the parameters of their booking engine, or they have introduced some new bugs.

Curious, did you have a guarantee stateroom, or had you picked a specific stateroom?

It's starting to sound like they have either made a significant change to the parameters of their booking engine, or they have introduced some new bugs.

Curious, did you have a guarantee stateroom, or had you picked a specific stateroom?

I picked my specific stateroom. The guaranteed option wasn't available when I booked...this would make me think twice before I booked a guanrteed now though.

I picked my specific stateroom. The guaranteed option wasn't available when I booked...this would make me think twice before I booked a guanrteed now though.

This is the first time I've heard of them trying to bump a non-guarantee. Not that it has not happened, but I just don't remember it being reported here.

This is the first time I've heard of them trying to bump a non-guarantee. Not that it has not happened, but I just don't remember it being reported here.

Hope they don't do a 'United' and drag them off before muster

Something similar happened to us in January. Our Allure cruise was oversold. We received a call about 4 days in advance and they asked us if they could move the four of us from 2 balcony cabins to 1 balcony that slept 4 and in return all we would pay would be port fees and taxes for the 4 of us. Needless to say we took them up on the offer.

I agree with Bob, something has changed with their booking engine. It sort of appears like they are now leaning towards the airline style if booking. Overbooking, expecting a few last minute cancellations.

I would have taken the move-over offer to OP.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Several reasons why we didn't.

1. Work schedules and vacation days. This is over a holiday. So one less vacation day I have to use.

2. We would have to change our airline tickets. We booked with Alaska and delta. I believe there is around a 200$ change fee for tickets. So by the time we do that, we wouldn't be coming out much a head.

I understand what you mean. If this were a Galveston cruise we were driving to I'd agree to that deal so fast they'd get ear-burn over the phone; but when we fly elsewhere there's generally a lot more that'd need to be moved and redone, often involving airfare that would have change fees.

Several reasons why we didn't.

1. Work schedules and vacation days. This is over a holiday. So one less vacation day I have to use.

2. We would have to change our airline tickets. We booked with Alaska and delta. I believe there is around a 200$ change fee for tickets. So by the time we do that, we wouldn't be coming out much a head.

I understand the situation you were in.

Today I got a phone call from a random 541 number I didn't recognize. I thought it could possibly be the upgrade fairy.

It was Royal calling to ask me if I would move my sailing one week to alaska memorial day weekend, one week earlier. If i did, they would upgrade my room and they would give me a refund of 50% back. While on the phone, I asked them why they were offering and they said they are "extremely over booked". Due to travel arrangements and work schedules, I wasn't able to take them up on the offer, but just a heads up to anyone on my sailing you may be getting a call. If you're flexible, it may be worth it.

Definitely glad I picked my specific room and didn't go with a "guaranteed" room, I would be panicking aittle. They must be desperate if they are calling someone with an interior state room on an Alaskan cruise lol.

I think that knowing what I have read and heard....I would have told them that we want a heck of a lot more than that! :D:p It would have been fun just to see if they would up the offer, as other cruise lines do.

Something similar happened to us in January. Our Allure cruise was oversold. We received a call about 4 days in advance and they asked us if they could move the four of us from 2 balcony cabins to 1 balcony that slept 4 and in return all we would pay would be port fees and taxes for the 4 of us. Needless to say we took them up on the offer.

I agree with Bob, something has changed with their booking engine. It sort of appears like they are now leaning towards the airline style if booking. Overbooking, expecting a few last minute cancellations.

Out of curiosity did you try to squeeze them for some OBC or maybe a voucher for a future cruise? I'm not saying you didn't get a really good deal, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat too as a cruise for the $100-150 or so in taxes and fees is spectacular but more interested in knowing if there was any negotiating room in case this happens down the road. Thanks.

Out of curiosity did you try to squeeze them for some OBC or maybe a voucher for a future cruise? I'm not saying you didn't get a really good deal, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat too as a cruise for the $100-150 or so in taxes and fees is spectacular but more interested in knowing if there was any negotiating room in case this happens down the road. Thanks.

We originally had $300 OBC per cabin as part of a booking promo (booked direct through Royal) and $50 from an earlier goodwill gesture. They agreed to transfer all OBC from both cabins to the new single cabin so we still kept the $650 OBC.

We originally had $300 OBC per cabin as part of a booking promo (booked direct through Royal) and $50 from an earlier goodwill gesture. They agreed to transfer all OBC from both cabins to the new single cabin so we still kept the $650 OBC.

You did good!!!