Passport question

Sun 4-ever

I just read that someone said they used a passport app and was able to sail right through customs, what is this app?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The app is for going thru customs and immigration. You'l still need a passport to use it.

Canada Customs has a similar app for entering Canada by airplane.

I just read that someone said they used a passport app and was able to sail right through customs, what is this app?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the US, there is the Mobile Passport app (for iPhone, it requires at least iOS 9.0). It does not replace a passport. Rather, it allows you to fill out the CBP declaration form online. Depending on the crowds reentering the US, it MAY save you some time with skipping the kiosks. But, you still need to see a CBP officer.

Want to avoid the long lines? Get Global Entry. It'll cost $100 (non-refundable if you are denied) and require a face-to-face interview (assuming your application passes the initial vetting) -usually at an airport like SFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Get Global Entry. It'll cost $100 (non-refundable if you are denied) and require a face-to-face interview (assuming your application passes the initial vetting) -usually at an airport like SFO.

:D Global Entry is flat worth the money if you arrive by air. Trouble is it is not used at many cruise ports. It also permits you to use TSA Precheck without additional charge. In the airport you can keep your shoes and belt on, and don't need to remove your laptop from its bag.

For us, TSA Pre Check was a waste of money. I have an implanted cardiac device. I showed my card and was told to go off to the side. Instead of being wanded, I still had to take off my shoes, belt and empty my pockets. Then they did a pat down.

At the Miami cruise terminal, same thing. Funny part was after I removed my belt and emptied my pockets , the guy patting me down questioned why I didn't have a belt on.

When we left from FLL, we went through the pre-check line. The same thing happend. This time they made me go through the imaging thing, then did a pat down after they made me remove shoes, belt and empty the pockets. I thought that was the object of paying $85 and being screened before hand.

Wife sailed right through but then still had to wait until I was allowed to finally pass through.

:D Global Entry is flat worth the money if you arrive by air. Trouble is it is not used at many cruise ports. It also permits you to use TSA Precheck without additional charge. In the airport you can keep your shoes and belt on, and don't need to remove your laptop from its bag.

I've used Global Entry in both the MIA and FLL seaports. One needs to show the GE plastic card to get on the designated line.

As mentioned, it is also invaluable when flying.

We used the Mobile Passport App when we returned to Port Everglades this past March and for us, it was FABULOUS!!

The line in the terminal to clear customs was probably 35-45 minutes, but the line for those with Mobile Passport App? There was none...we went straight to the front of the line.

There is one lane at Pt. Everglades for those with the app. You have to show your phone with the barcode that indicates you have actually completed the app fully...you can't get in the line without it. You then go through the separate line and basically get first priority at the lane that has the scanner to read the barcode. If no one is waiting with the app, the line takes passengers from the regular line.

It took just a couple of minutes to download the app. It can be done before you leave or upon arrival at Pt. Everglades. What you cannot do is actually complete the 'form' until you are actually back in port because your barcode receipt is only valid for four hours, so you complete it when you dock while waiting to debark.

We showed our passports to the customs agent and scanned the barcode. Took just a few minutes and we were on our way.

We left our ship around 9am and by 9:15 were out on the curb getting a cab to the airport.