Excursion prices

5waldos

Do they really change? And assuming that they do (based on the small print on the website and discussions here), do they tend to go up or down or is it random? First time Azamara cruiser and learning all kinds of little tidbits that I need to sort out.

Saw a post by Bonnie recently , authorized Azamara blogger, who says they often do go up as your sailing gets closer.

Absolutely correct I am onboard and have just had to pay $80 ish more for our three excursions for 2 people. Of course I'd been wanting to book them for a year or so but the OBC issue precluded me from doing this then when they brought in the fix no one could get our online booking to go through. Actually now I read the terms and conditions it makes no difference and I would have been worse off something non US dollar payers need to be aware of.

Bear in mind the fix is you book and pay upfront then cancel onboard and rebook using your OBC.

Fine if you hold a US dollar credit card then you are only at risk of the increase in prices the blogger talks about (and I think if they sense lots of book then cancels they will see this as a little revenue earner)

However for overseas guests we get hit by the transaction levy of 2% being imposed in the published terms and conditions as well as the inevitable differential between the buy conversion when we purchase the transaction and the sell when we rebook.

When the initial announcement was made there was no clear explanation that this would happen. It was only when people delved into the terms that this became clear

Given the value of excursions we were purchasing (1500 dollars) this would have been a total of $30 fees by Azamara plus with a buy conversion of 1.19 being set by Azamara and the sell back rate today for card transactions being 1.32 (assuming Azamaras 2%fee doesn't give us a worse rate after their charge) that equates to a further cost of around $125 total $155 for a period of a few days as far as I can see so I'm sorry to be negative about your attempts to generate a work around Azamara but it's not a good one especially for overseas guests

The refund should be the sterling equivalent of what the guest paid and the rebook should be the dollar price at the time the guest originally booked. The work around now leaves a bad taste as it penalises me for something absolutely out with my making. I'm glad the IT systems were so screwed up last week that I could not make a temporary booking. I saved money and was always going to be hit by the increased price.

:mad:I'm a bit confused . If I purchase the trip through the website it is in £ so why would the refund be in any other currency than what I paid ?

Ultimately it is in £ but they start from the $ then there is a 2% currency surcharge then they use the buy back rate to do the conversion. When you bought the excursions in £ the same rule applied so the surcharge plus spread difference between the buy and sell rates makes a difference for non US guests.

The problem I have is that one of the trips is on day 2 of the cruise so im not sure whether I can leave booking it till we board

Understand you might just have to bite the bullet and book it then.

So as it is currently set up, the chances are good that you will pay a premium for using OBC for excursions. And the current workaround does not change that. Will the new system, allowing you to book and pay for an excursion with OBC prior to sailing correct this? And will there be someplace on the website where you can check what your OBC is?

I will say that the notion that the prices go up for excursions rather distasteful. As I research excursions for a trip, one of the factors I take into consideration is price. Apparently this is a useless comparison.

But then whatever is OBC good for? We have booked mostly private tours but there are a couple offered onboard which are what we are looking for at a decent price NOW. But who knows when we board. There has to be a better way of doing this.

Since our cruise is in October we also have to wait to book land excursions. We very rarely use ship tours preferring to use private guides but don't want to waste OBC designated only for excursions. What I don't understand is why the price would change. Would Azamara actually contract with a tour provider without a firm price?

Those fluctuations are almost always minor- it would be a rare case where it would make a big difference. The private tours I have booked have set prices- and they would have the same issues with currency fluctuations. And if it were due to currency fluctuations, you would expect the prices to drop as often as they went up. From what I have read here, that does not seem to be the case.

Those fluctuations are almost always minor- it would be a rare case where it would make a big difference. The private tours I have booked have set prices- and they would have the same issues with currency fluctuations. And if it were due to currency fluctuations, you would expect the prices to drop as often as they went up. From what I have read here, that does not seem to be the case.

Right. Then if not exchange rate fluctuations why would excursions price increase? I understand that Azamara is an intermediary and books shore excursions from land providers at the current prices. I have not seen local providers increase their prices within a reasonable time frame. Are we paying higher overheads for booking on board?

Exchange rates change over time, that could be one reason for prices changing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am comparing dollar prices three weeks before a cruise to dollar prices onboard so exchange rates are irrelevant. As a large organisation Azamara will negotiate prices upfront anyway and in many parts of the world deal in dollars with providers. If they deal in local currency they would I'm sure take steps to protect their exchange rate risks.

Actually given what the markets did this last three weeks prices should have gone down not up!

I am comparing dollar prices three weeks before a cruise to dollar prices onboard so exchange rates are irrelevant. As a large organisation Azamara will negotiate prices upfront anyway and in many parts of the world deal in dollars with providers. If they deal in local currency they would I'm sure take steps to protect their exchange rate risks.

Actually given what the markets did this last three weeks prices should have gone down not up!

May I ask how much have they gone up?

I would also like to know why this is happening. Maybe Azamara would provide an answer?

I booked because of the 2,000 OBC. Then I looked at the excursion prices! HOLY COW! For example: Beach Lunch at Jackie O's in Antigua. $329.00 per person. Called and talked to the manager and looked up the menu. A 3 course meal could run a tab at about $150 per person. So I book privately what the heck am I gonna do with 2K OBC?

Did Bonnie explained why? Do you have a link to that post?

You'll find that post on this thread: See Post 8 (and I'll paste it in below)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494555

BBMacLaird

Chief Blogging Officer ~ Azamara Club Cruises

*Account Verified

Posted May 2nd, 2017, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Baynanno1 Thanks for the update Bonnie.

I have noted . . . "
Also please note, all tours booked or rebooked onboard will be charged the
current onboard price
at the time of booking/rebooking."

From past experience, the onboard price will doubtless be more than the online price.

But I guess at least one is assured of a seat on a popular tour.

Trish

True, prices tend to go up as time passes.

And, not only is one assured a seat, but there's no obligation to cx and rebook a tour using OBC. One can use OBC for other splurges, such as a spa treatment, specialty dining, drinks!

But WHY do the prices go up. This is what many of us do not understand. Private tours don't. Who is upping the price- the tour provider or Azamara?

On the Terms & Conditions page of each Shore Excursion brochure you'll find this clause:

"Prices shown in this brochure are representative. Dates, times, and prices are subject to change and may not be available for your sailing. To purchase an Azamara Club Cruises Shore Excursion, you must already have a reservation number for a cruise and have made a payment towards that reservation. Shore Excursions must be purchased in the same currency as your cruise reservation. Exchange rates are determined by a competitive pricing program and may be subject to change without notice. All monetary exchanges onboard are processed in U.S. Dollars directly to your SeaPass® onboard charge account unless otherwise specified."

But WHY do the prices go up. This is what many of us do not understand. Private tours don't. Who is upping the price- the tour provider or Azamara?

You know the answer. BECAUSE THEY CAN. The real answer is above her pay grade.

Which is why I believe Bonnie only copy and pasted the terms & conditions as a response. :D Please don't box her into a corner. That would be like shooting the messenger. She does an exceptional job here. TY.

You know the answer. BECAUSE THEY CAN. The real answer is above her pay grade.

Which is why I believe Bonnie only copy and pasted the terms & conditions as a response. :D Please don't box her into a corner. That would be like shooting the messenger. She does an exceptional job here. TY.

You are right and do appreciate the help Bonnie offers here (thanks Bonnie).

It is not a positive thing for Azamara to do and not one I have encountered on other cruise lines, although it would not surprise me to learn that this clause is in other contacts.

You'll find that post on this thread: See Post 8 (and I'll paste it in below)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2494555

BBMacLaird

Chief Blogging Officer ~ Azamara Club Cruises

*Account Verified

Posted May 2nd, 2017, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Baynanno1 Thanks for the update Bonnie.

I have noted . . . "
Also please note, all tours booked or rebooked onboard will be charged the
current onboard price
at the time of booking/rebooking."

From past experience, the onboard price will doubtless be more than the online price.

But I guess at least one is assured of a seat on a popular tour.

Trish

True, prices tend to go up as time passes.

And, not only is one assured a seat, but there's no obligation to cx and rebook a tour using OBC. One can use OBC for other splurges, such as a spa treatment, specialty dining, drinks!

Are you saying that OBC originally for shore excursions only can be used now for anything??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums