Transatlantic Cruises?

uneamie

Hubby and I would love to do a TA at some point. We are wondering if anyone has ever crossed over....and at some point, perhaps a week or 2 later, come back on the same ship? Is that doable on the same ship? I mean does the same ship come and go that frequently? I'd go and check the sailings but I thought it would be quicker to ask here.

Hubby and I would love to do a TA at some point. We are wondering if anyone has ever crossed over....and at some point, perhaps a week or 2 later, come back on the same ship? Is that doable on the same ship? I mean does the same ship come and go that frequently? I'd go and check the sailings but I thought it would be quicker to ask here.

The only ship that makes that frequent of a TA crossing is the Queen Victoria, which does weekly crossings most of the year. Typically, the other cruise lines use TA's as repositioning cruises where they are changing itineraries based on seasons. So, in spring, they reposition from the Caribbean to Europe, and then in the fall back from Europe to the Caribbean. The other use of TA's is for going to/from shipyards, if the ships are too large for Caribbean drydocks, and this usually includes at least a partial "season" in Europe after the shipyard.

The only ship that makes that frequent of a TA crossing is the Queen Victoria, which does weekly crossings most of the year. Typically, the other cruise lines use TA's as repositioning cruises where they are changing itineraries based on seasons. So, in spring, they reposition from the Caribbean to Europe, and then in the fall back from Europe to the Caribbean. The other use of TA's is for going to/from shipyards, if the ships are too large for Caribbean drydocks, and this usually includes at least a partial "season" in Europe after the shipyard.
Great....good information! Thank you! Helps us figure out how to go about this.

If you want a slightly longer TA with a few more ports them MSC do a number between Europe and the Caribbean; Princess does one from Dover to New York as part of a "Round the World" cruise.
Interesting....that sounds good as well.Thank you!

We are doing the Princess one this year, next year is different. Dover, 3 ports in NORTH Norway, 2 in Iceland, Halifax, NY.

Next year has Greenland I think.

Edited by casofilia
Addition

How about ship movements/rough seas on a TA ?

We are considering a TA for next year, westbound probably Bliss as those dates works for us. Now we are wondering about weather/rough sea issues. We have never got any issues about seasick on any cruises except for one that did the Dover Barcelona route. The day after departing Dover, the ship was very rocky and it really was a bumpy ride ! Everyone explained to us that it is because of the Atlantic ocean ! Weather wise it looked very good, no rain, no wind etc but it still made many passengers sick including us.

So we love to try a TA but are still undecided because we are afraid we won't enjoy the cruise if we get seasick because of heavy movements sailing across the ocean.

How is everyone's experience on this issue ?

We are considering a TA for next year, westbound probably Bliss as those dates works for us. Now we are wondering about weather/rough sea issues. We have never got any issues about seasick on any cruises except for one that did the Dover Barcelona route. The day after departing Dover, the ship was very rocky and it really was a bumpy ride ! Everyone explained to us that it is because of the Atlantic ocean ! Weather wise it looked very good, no rain, no wind etc but it still made many passengers sick including us.

So we love to try a TA but are still undecided because we are afraid we won't enjoy the cruise if we get seasick because of heavy movements sailing across the ocean.

Well, your Dover to Barcelona cruise took you through the Bay of Biscay, which is notorious for high seas and bad weather. Many TA's are perfectly calm, many are moderately rough, and some are a beast. Really no way of knowing in advance.

We are wondering if anyone has ever crossed over....and at some point, perhaps a week or 2 later, come back on the same ship? Is that doable on the same ship?
It's not currently doable on any NCL ship, or any pair of NCL ships, but as suggested already, you may be able to combine one NCL TA with a crossing in the other direction on another cruise line (probably Cunard, although not currently on the Queen Victoria).

The Rotterdam (HAL) is doing a pair of back to back TAs from Rotterdam to Boston and back again this summer via Greenland Iceland etc. but you will not get any extra time in the US. The Queen Victoria is also doing a round-trip from Southampton to the Caribbean in November/December.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Almost every ship that crosses will then do a regular cruise the next day. So, you can easily extend your time on the ship if you want.

We have crossed twice and enjoyed it. One way airline flights can be a cost issue sometimes. We once took the Queen Mary to England in April and used the first part of the ticket to get home. We then used the 2nd part to fly to Barcelona in October and took the cruise back to the states.

On another trip, we found buying a RT ticket was cheaper than one way and never used the other half. (called a throw away ticket)

I'm considering a transatlantic cruise for my honeymoon next year. We would like to fly to Rome and spend some time doing the tourist thing and then cruise on the Star from Rome to Miami. I'm pretty excited for it. I just wish it would be a month other than November. It looks from the schedules that is the only time they do this one cruise is once a year in November.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm considering a transatlantic cruise for my honeymoon next year. We would like to fly to Rome and spend some time doing the tourist thing and then cruise on the Star from Rome to Miami. I'm pretty excited for it. I just wish it would be a month other than November. It looks from the schedules that is the only time they do this one cruise is once a year in November.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes she needs to come "home" for the winter season.

For 2018, your choices for westbound TAs with NCL are:

• Jade: September 29 Southampton – New York October 12 (or continue to Miami October 15)
  • Breakaway: October 2 Copenhagen – October 16 New York
  • Epic: November 4 Barcelona – November 17 Port Canaveral
  • Star: November 5 Civitavecchia – November 19 Miami

So there are a couple of choices earlier in the autumn (and it's easy to fly from Rome to either of those embarkation ports).

As you can see from my signature, we did a 13-day Mediterranean/Transatlantic in 2008, leaving from Barcelona, going around the Med, then crossing the Atlantic. The only day of rough seas was the night we passed through the Straits of Gibraltar into the Atlantic, and then all the first day in the Atlantic. After that, it was smooth sailing. I've heard from others that the Atlantic close to Gibraltar can sometimes be really bumpy.

--Michael

Edited by numberguy
correcting "Straits"

• 1 month later...

We did our first TA this past April on Celebrity's Eclipse. As we were leaving Bermuda for the 6 sea day leg the Captain informed us that weather ahead was getting bad. starting around midnight the seas got a little rough and high winds. It wasn't too bad. We didn't see anyone get sick or affected in any way. If you remember the old Monty Python show.... for about 24 hours the "ministry of funny walks" were in control. After that we had nice calm seas. I'm glad to reportthatthe cruise was so relaxing we just booked NCL's Breakaway TA for April 2018.

usIf you are interested in a very long Pacific Ocean cruise, try The Norwegian Jewel beginning on the 3rd of October 2017 from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada to Sydney, Australia. I think the total time for the entire cruise is 40+ plus days. If you do not have that much time, you can do it in segments.

It's not currently doable on any NCL ship, or any pair of NCL ships, but as suggested already, you may be able to combine one NCL TA with a crossing in the other direction on another cruise line (probably Cunard, although not currently on the Queen Victoria).

The Rotterdam (HAL) is doing a pair of back to back TAs from Rotterdam to Boston and back again this summer via Greenland Iceland etc. but you will not get any extra time in the US. The Queen Victoria is also doing a round-trip from Southampton to the Caribbean in November/December.

I think Cunard's Queen Mary II does more TAs. Southampton to/from NYC.

The only ship that makes that frequent of a TA crossing is the Queen Victoria, which does weekly crossings most of the year. .

The Queen Mary does the week to week crossings not the Victoria as shes the only 'ocean liner' still working in the world.

OP, maybe you could see if you could mix part of a world voyage that did a transatlantic,spend time somewhere then go with a repo that was going back?

Not sure if this would match up but it could be possible.

We would really like to do a transatlantic but as we have to go when schools are out the timing is never right and we feel we are too young for Cunard at present.

Our TA was on Celeb on the Eclipse... Superb Itinerary for the fall (Southampton - crossing - boston/ny/ny/bermuda/nassau/miami- weather was either sunny nice or quite swelly and fun.. But never wet and then too hot once we moved down to bermuda and nassau

TR around somewhere or a copy is in the blog