QM2 Transatlantic - Embarkation and departure from Soughampton

scdreamer

We are booked on the westbound TA on QM2 in early August - I have looked at all the information we have received so far, and nowhere do I see anything letting us know what time we can go aboard (we are Brittania) or what time we MUST be on board.

We will be coming from central London - trying to plan our transportation and what time we should arrive at the port.

I am thinking when we get our actual boarding documents, the information will be there - but as we will be traveling for the five weeks prior to the TA cruise, I would like to have arrangements made well in advance.

Are there others in the same boat (excuse the pun) - who will be coming to the port from London? We have taken the train to Southampton for other cruises, but we will have an excessive amount of luggage this time, and I'm not sure about managing it on the train. Any suggestions beyond hiring a car and driver? Is there a shuttle?

Boarding usually starts a bit after noon. As a Britannia passenger I think you might want to be there between one and two. It is 80 miles from central London and Southampton and traffic can be difficult at least until you reach the motorway, so I would allow two full hours. If you take a bus say from the Victoria Coach Station, you will still have to deal with the luggage, so I would recommend a private car and driver. Your hotel concierge can arrange that for you. The one time I did it cost me about GBP 180, so they are not cheap. You might do a bit of Googling to find a better deal. Good luck!

We will be staying in an apartment in Marylebone in London. I am thinking we could taxi from our apartment to the train station, and then take a train to Southampton. I believe the train station in Southampton is not too far from the cruise ship port - so we could taxi from the train to the ship. Does that sound reasonable?

My only concern is managing our luggage on the train.

Big Mike gave you some good advice. We did exactly as you are planning last December, traveling from an apartment in Fulham (about 10 or 15 minutes west of Marleybone) with an excessive amount of luggage. Because of the luggage, we did not even consider public transit or a bus shuttle. Instead we arranged for a car from Smiths for Airports (recommended by many on this forum) that picked us up at the apartment at Noon and deposited us at the docks in front of the QM2 at 2:00 PM. I remember the cost as somewhere between $100 and $125. We've used Smiths several other times as well, traveling to Heathrow and Windsor. You can arrange Smiths on-line and arrange it a week before you need the car. Final note, I don't recommend that you arrive early, as you may have to wait a long time to board.

We are booked on the westbound TA on QM2 in early August - I have looked at all the information we have received so far, and nowhere do I see anything letting us know what time we can go aboard (we are Brittania) or what time we MUST be on board.

We will be coming from central London - trying to plan our transportation and what time we should arrive at the port.

I am thinking when we get our actual boarding documents, the information will be there - but as we will be traveling for the five weeks prior to the TA cruise, I would like to have arrangements made well in advance.

Are there others in the same boat (excuse the pun) - who will be coming to the port from London? We have taken the train to Southampton for other cruises, but we will have an excessive amount of luggage this time, and I'm not sure about managing it on the train. Any suggestions beyond hiring a car and driver? Is there a shuttle?

Good afternoon SCDreamer.

Your specific time for embarkation should be printed on your E-Ticket. I know that isn't a great help because they aren't available till nearer the time of sailing.

In the absence of a 'current' specific time I would therefore suggest that you plan to arrive between Midday and 1.00 pm and take your chance that embarkation is running smoothly and you don't have too long a wait at the terminal.

July and August are lovely times to be sailing from Southampton. I love the spillway parties as QM2 glides down the Solent, rounds Calshot Spit and does that sharp turn at Cowes on the Isle of Weight.

Not sure I would recommend a rail transfer from London, particularly with excess luggage.

A private hire would seem so much more efficient all round.

Boarding usually starts a bit after noon. As a Britannia passenger I think you might want to be there between one and two. It is 80 miles from central London and Southampton and traffic can be difficult at least until you reach the motorway, so I would allow two full hours. If you take a bus say from the Victoria Coach Station, you will still have to deal with the luggage, so I would recommend a private car and driver. Your hotel concierge can arrange that for you. The one time I did it cost me about GBP 180, so they are not cheap. You might do a bit of Googling to find a better deal. Good luck!

I pay £75 when taking a Private taxi to London Heathrow and I don't travel light.

Maybe a local southampton driver would be willing to offer a cheaper service.

Here's the one I use...malcolm@lee-2000.co.uk

Big Mike gave you some good advice. We did exactly as you are planning last December, traveling from an apartment in Fulham (about 10 or 15 minutes west of Marleybone) with an excessive amount of luggage. Because of the luggage, we did not even consider public transit or a bus shuttle. Instead we arranged for a car from Smiths for Airports (recommended by many on this forum) that picked us up at the apartment at Noon and deposited us at the docks in front of the QM2 at 2:00 PM. I remember the cost as somewhere between $100 and $125. We've used Smiths several other times as well, traveling to Heathrow and Windsor. You can arrange Smiths on-line and arrange it a week before you need the car. Final note, I don't recommend that you arrive early, as you may have to wait a long time to board.

We always fly into London Gatwick Airport and have lots of luggage usually. Three large cases and two cabin cases. Two adults . We use Smiths Cars every time.

Cost for a large car /van with very smartly dressed driver is around £ 90. This is in to Southampton to our hotel.They will pick up in London.

http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

Just returned from the May 8-15 west bound crossing on the QM2. We choose to use the Cunard sponsored bus from London Victoria Bus Station. The night before we stayed at the DoubleTree just two blocks from the station and walked to the there the next morning in about 5 minutes time. We arrived at the station at 10:30AM and departed on our bus at 11:00AM. Our luggage was taken from us at the bus station and managed all the way to our state room.

The ride took two hours and the bus was clean, comfortable and had a bathroom. We probably could have saved a few dollars arranging our own transportation but it was worth the peace of mind that if anything happened to delay our arrival Cunard would have held the ship, at least for awhile.

We arrived at the departure terminal at 1:00PM, showed our e-tickes and were given a green card with the letter "T" on it designating our processing group. At the time they were on green "A". It took about one hour for our group to be called up for processing. The waiting area in the terminal is comfortable but sparse. Fortunately there was food and drink available for purchase, including liquor. There are a few tables around the food area. The prices were fair. While waiting we shared a table and some interesting conversation with a young couple from outside of London. There were dressed in formal wear from the Titanic era and the time passed quickly.

Once called up, the actual processing took only a few minutes as did the security screening and then we were on the ship. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and professional. All things considered, I don't see how the process could reasonably be improved.

Harold Green

Oh, and I forgot to mention that we will be doing the same thing on June 7 when we board the QM2 Eastbound. We'll be booking a Smiths car once again from Fulham to the docks in Southampton.

• 3 weeks later...
Just returned from the May 8-15 west bound crossing on the QM2. We choose to use the Cunard sponsored bus from London Victoria Bus Station. The night before we stayed at the DoubleTree just two blocks from the station and walked to the there the next morning in about 5 minutes time. We arrived at the station at 10:30AM and departed on our bus at 11:00AM. Our luggage was taken from us at the bus station and managed all the way to our state room.

The ride took two hours and the bus was clean, comfortable and had a bathroom. We probably could have saved a few dollars arranging our own transportation but it was worth the peace of mind that if anything happened to delay our arrival Cunard would have held the ship, at least for awhile.

We arrived at the departure terminal at 1:00PM, showed our e-tickes and were given a green card with the letter "T" on it designating our processing group. At the time they were on green "A". It took about one hour for our group to be called up for processing. The waiting area in the terminal is comfortable but sparse. Fortunately there was food and drink available for purchase, including liquor. There are a few tables around the food area. The prices were fair. While waiting we shared a table and some interesting conversation with a young couple from outside of London. There were dressed in formal wear from the Titanic era and the time passed quickly.

Once called up, the actual processing took only a few minutes as did the security screening and then we were on the ship. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and professional. All things considered, I don't see how the process could reasonably be improved.

Harold Green

Thank you for this review of the process. We are taking a west bound TA next June (our first TA and first cruise out of Southampton).

Thank you for the very good advice regarding Smiths. We will arrange for them to pick us up in Marylebone and deliver us and our luggage to the ship. Glad that was so easy! :cool:

And not only that, but you'll arrive in style ! Bon Voyage:)

We will be travelling to Southampton from Essex and may well be catching trains and tube . Will be our first time on a TA early Aug . Considered travelling by train night before and staying close by and also been checking out Taxi firms cheapest so far £140. ! Will be making a decision nearer the time .