To Drink Package or Not to Drink Package (on the Oasis)

Just booked the Oasis and I am so excited! I have done the drink package before so I know it is well worth it for me but that was on a cruise with my boyfriend who also likes to drink on cruises. This one will be with my family who will definitely not purchase one and only have a drink or so a day.

My question is what are the specials, deals, or happy hours like on the Oasis? I am wondering if it would be more worth it to just drink where and when these are going on then to buy the package for just myself. I am sure each cruise is a little different with what it offers but just wondering generally what good deals you all have found!

Just booked the Oasis and I am so excited! I have done the drink package before so I know it is well worth it for me but that was on a cruise with my boyfriend who also likes to drink on cruises. This one will be with my family who will definitely not purchase one and only have a drink or so a day.

My question is what are the specials, deals, or happy hours like on the Oasis? I am wondering if it would be more worth it to just drink where and when these are going on then to buy the package for just myself. I am sure each cruise is a little different with what it offers but just wondering generally what good deals you all have found!

I've heard of happy hours on the past cruises, and if I remember, there was a happy hour of some type on our last cruise on Anthem, it was in the Cruise Compass and they even announced it over the 1mc first thing.

I actually just googled this interesting blog item, but it's two years old:

https://www.******************.com/2016/09/23/friday-happy-hour-margaritas-sabor-royal-caribbeans-freedom-of-the-seas

Make sure that you sign up though for the meet and mingle events, including the "welcome back" activities. We signed up for the M&M on our next cruise, because on that last cruise, they were handing out free mimosas and peach bellini's like mad - at like 0930am, and since DW didn't want hers and our table mates weren't drinkers, I imbibed rather cunningly well that day....er, morning.

I wish you well and a happy time on Oasis!

I've seen occasionally a dollar or two off drinks for an hour or two in some venues and things like beer bucket deals. By and large though, if you already know the package would benefit you these won't save you enough to make much of a difference at all. Really comes down to how much you think you'll drink during the week.

Each person can buy (or not) the package...do what suits YOUR drinking habits! If your parents only drink one or two drinks a day, they are better off buying as they go. If you like the package....get it! You will likely get your money's worth!

I've never been one to like the "drinks of the day" and I've NEVER seen a true "happy hour"....

If you enjoy to have a few drinks on vacation then the package is a must. It also includes bottled water and soda . So it may seem like a big price to pay in advance but trust me its better then getting a huge bill at the end of your cruise. Depending on what you like to drink if you consume the following on average per day the package will pay for itself . 2 bottles of water 1-2 soda 3-4 drinks . It honestly does not take much. a few pre dinner drinks some wine at dinner and then a few drinks after dinner.

I saved 800 dollars by not buying the drink package for me and my wife (14 night cruise). We drank tap water, ice tea, black coffee, flavoured water and bought two 24 can packs of soda (wich is better then machine soda). Also brought on a couple wine bottles.

People keep saying "if you drink more then 4 drinks a day bla bla" but often seem to forget that:

1: People buy drinks when in port.

2: People dont allways drink every day, atleast not as much. Example day: 3-4 drinks while in port and 1 on board, leaves my budget to 6-7 drink on board tomorrow to catch up with my drink package. and maybe i dont drink at all one day of the cruise and i can suddenly drink 5 drinks every day instaad of 4.

3: Wine brought on board.

If they have a happy hour of any type, it's usually in a venue that no one would go to otherwise during that time. I've really only seen bloody Mary's as a special.

I saved 800 dollars by not buying the drink package for me and my wife (14 night cruise). We drank tap water, ice tea, black coffee, flavoured water and bought two 24 can packs of soda (wich is better then machine soda). Also brought on a couple wine bottles.

People keep saying "if you drink more then 4 drinks a day bla bla" but often seem to forget that:

2: People dont allways drink every day, atleast not as much. Example day: 3-4 drinks while in port and 1 on board, leaves my budget to 6-7 drink on board tomorrow to catch up with my drink package. and maybe i dont drink at all one day of the cruise and i can suddenly drink 5 drinks every day instaad of 4.

I saved $120,000 yesterday when I decided not to buy a Porsche.

It all depend on the individual . My wife is a very light drinker and could have a few in port but still enjoys her wine with dinner and a post dinner drink . So that's 3 right there if bought with no package would be $39 per It does not include the 3-4 bottles of water she will get during the day also covered under the package so already at a daily total for her at $52 plus what ever she may want at a show . It really does not take that long to add up. She wanted to part of the package before we left. I purchased it for her for Christmas and she was glad I did.

I would still say get it. Our most recent trip was an eye opener for us for the value. The booze is a no brainer to us because our tabs at the end of the week have always been over $1500 (:o I know....that's sad-and it's truly mostly drinks and extra tips....I only usually buy a single ornament otherwise) but we paid a bit more attention this time and feel we really got our money's worth. We realized we are getting older and gone are the days of drinking nothing but alcohol all evening then waking up and starting again....while we still pretty much do that (lol) we've learned that we also need LOTS of water to go along with it. It was wonderful to grab a bottle of water every couple drinks and another before heading to bed. And of course as we were heading off to an island we would get a nice latte and a bottle of water. So it's not just booze-I would bet our tab would have been closer to 2k+ this past trip but because of the package our bill was about $200 (extra tips, some of our daily grats and a few other small purchases)

My family was with us as well as another couple of friends. Everyone got the package. My parents are not huge drinkers but they were able to be "adventurous" this trip. My dad and I had the dining room beverage server bring us a different martini every night. I wouldn't feel guilty for ordering a drink and not liking it with the package vs. paying $12-$15 for a drink and not wanting it. And don't worry...there was only one that I didn't like and my dad finished mine for me...we don't waste things in our family! And even though we had a few people that were straight beer drinkers, they still felt that the package was the way to go with the water and such.

I get what you're saying...but from my perspective I saved $1400+ by buying the package

1. We don't get that many drinks when in port, depending on what we're doing. For example, Cave tubing doesn't allow for much time to have a few drinks other then right at the end...and we were just tired at that point. The other two islands we did do all inclusives, but some specific drinks are just not able to be had. We had a bud light only drinker with us...neither of the places we went to had that so he just had a few of the local beers and then got a bud light as soon as he got back on board. That's always been the reason we like cruises over all-inclusives....when you want a specific drink, cruises will have it (for what we drink) If you only like certain types of drinks (beer especially) it can be hard to get that on certain islands.

2. I've never felt the need to "catch up" or get my money's worth. Plus it's not just alcohol. The coffee and water that we drank would have probably been $20+ a day. It's so nice to have a couple extra bottles in the cabin to throw in your bag and go.

3. We don't bring wine, water, or pop on board. We like walking on the ship with usually just my purse with our paperwork and exploring the ship without lugging anything with us. The package allows us to not even have to think about bringing anything with us.

If you want to not think about getting fresh squeezed oj, cocktails, soda, specialty coffee and bottles of water then go for it. Its easy to get your moneys worth without becoming a drunk all week cruiser.

I ended up getting the alcohol and internet package for our cruise. I am looking forward to not having to think about what I order and how big my bill is getting.

If you want to not think about getting fresh squeezed oj, cocktails, soda, specialty coffee and bottles of water then go for it. Its easy to get your moneys worth without becoming a drunk all week cruiser.

I ended up getting the alcohol and internet package for our cruise. I am looking forward to not having to think about what I order and how big my bill is getting.

This is what I'm thinking of doing!

For experienced cruisers, I know there is a limit to the dollar value of the drinks per day ($12, right?). Hubby and I drink craft beers, wines (low to mid range supermarket prices), and a variety of cocktails. We don't drink bud light or white zin is my point, I guess -- no offense to anyone who does. :D My question is this: Are the drinks that are available in the deluxe package worthwhile? (If you were to tell me that bud light is the only beer and white zin is the only wine, I would reconsider purchasing the package.)

I want to know that when I spend $800+ that I won't have a surprise bill at the end of the week because "normal" drinks were actually $15/glass. Does that make sense? We're not super picky, promise... I just want to make sure I'm budgeting correctly. :)

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!

For experienced cruisers, I know there is a limit to the dollar value of the drinks per day ($12, right?). Hubby and I drink craft beers, wines (low to mid range supermarket prices), and a variety of cocktails. We don't drink bud light or white zin is my point, I guess -- no offense to anyone who does. :D My question is this: Are the drinks that are available in the deluxe package worthwhile? (If you were to tell me that bud light is the only beer and white zin is the only wine, I would reconsider purchasing the package.)

I want to know that when I spend $800+ that I won't have a surprise bill at the end of the week because "normal" drinks were actually $15/glass. Does that make sense? We're not super picky, promise... I just want to make sure I'm budgeting correctly. :)

$12 ($13 on Oasis class) plenty of top shelf is included. You pay difference if you order a $15 glass of wine, not the total

Loyal2Royal

MOTS 11/04, NOTS 4/18,

Allure 9/17, Anthem 4/18

When we sailed Oasis last year, we did the specialty coffee/bottled water package. For us, the access to Pelligrino and lattes makes it a much better vacation :)

For this cruise, when we looked at the pricing between the coffee/water package and the alcohol package, we felt like what we would add on in alcohol would definitely make it worthwhile. For us I think that's really just 2-3 drinks/day, which my DH and I will most certainly hit.

For experienced cruisers, I know there is a limit to the dollar value of the drinks per day ($12, right?). Hubby and I drink craft beers, wines (low to mid range supermarket prices), and a variety of cocktails.

I was able to get an excellent Black & Tan under the $13 (I know everything says $12, but the Allure was $13) at the pub. We drank some very nice wines for under the limit also. Duck Horn and Rombauer to name a few.

It's not the price, but the availability for craft beers at some locations. I was able to get Becks at the pool bar and I would guess if you find it on ship at one location and ask a bartender to have it for you at another it would happen ($$$).

I was able to get an excellent Black & Tan under the $13 (I know everything says $12, but the Allure was $13) at the pub. We drank some very nice wines for under the limit also. Duck Horn and Rombauer to name a few.

It's not the price, but the availability for craft beers at some locations. I was able to get Becks at the pool bar and I would guess if you find it on ship at one location and ask a bartender to have it for you at another it would happen ($$$).

Awesome! Thank you!!:D