San Fran to Hawaii in April how are the seas?

soaknitup

We've done this itinerary in April. First day was cold but it was quite nice after that. Seas were more rough coming back which is normal. We booked starboard side to get afternoon sun on the way there and ended up spending a lot of time on our balcony. Great cruise - enjoy it!

Well this might help! I just sailed April 23rd and made a video showing some elements of the cruise. This is a link to youtube, where I posed the video. Enjoy the cruise, I've done it 4 times. One of the times with Nina (working 2 cruise) and her husband on the Golden Princess :-)

We've done the SanFran-Hawaii trip twice during April. First trip was uncomfortable during most of the ocean days, rain, churning water and noro. Hawaii was amazing though.

Second trip had some roughness the first night leaving SanFran and again the last night coming back. Other than that, the weather was amazing.

From what I understand by talking to the crew, getting in and out of SanFran bay is always rough. One explained, but I didn't really listen well enough to give you the why's.

The first few days out will be chilly and could be rough.

We also found the last day or day and a half to be colder and rougher. It just depends on the trip. Obviously nobody can tell folks what the sea or the weather will be like on a specific cruise or a specific day. In general though, the first couple of days and probably the last day or so will likely be rougher and chillier than the main crossing. The weather and the sea don't really care what we want or like. It can be pretty interesting at times though. ;)

Just back from this cruise on the Grand, 4/23-5/8.

The seas were lumpy the first two days going out and it was chilly and windy. By the third day, seas had calmed and the temps started to climb.

Coming back, it was fairly lumpy and the weather deteriorated drastically. We didn't even get off the ship in Ensenada because it was blowing, rainy and COLD. The next sea day back to SF was very rough.

We had scheduled the Ultimate Ship's Tour, which took place on the last sea day to SF. My wife and I were fine until we got to the ship's bridge, which was pitching up and down about 15-20 feet. The ship was banging into the waves so hard you could hear the booming as the bow hit the rollers.

I was fine, but my wife took one look at the snacks and champagne provided and said to me, "I gotta get out of here or I'm going to lose it". So we left and headed down to deck 7 to recover. After a bit she felt better, so we headed up to our cabin in the stern of deck 12. As we were walking to the cabin she said, "RUN!", and she barely made it to the bathroom before losing it. I felt so bad for her.

A couple of Bonine and and an hour or so on the balcony staring at the horizon and she was fine.

So yes, the seas can be rough. Pay attention to the forecast in the Patter and take Bonine or something and you should be fine.

At least she didn't get sick on the bridge, we would have been banned for life!

The trip back from Ensenada is usually choppy as you are sailing against the cold southbound current. Sailing out of S.F. the first few days can be rough and cool. It really does not get tropical until the ship crosses the Tropic of Cancer around day 3. We have done this crossing 3 times, each time it was as described. We were inside a lot the first few days. Of course, seas are not predictable and can be rough or calm any time of the year.

You never know about the weather. I made that trip three times in March aboard an aircraft carrier when I was in the Navy. We hit typhoons on two of those crossings. Talk about some serious rocking and rolling. Hope you have better weather.