Transportation from JFK to hotel in Wall street?

fire&teacher

We flew into JFK to go on the Queen Mary last year... did not arrange any ground transportation... thought we just get a taxi. As we approached exit... we flew Virgin America by the way, that may have a bearing on the terminal... there was a very long line... we look at and though god this awful... we head a lot of luggage... we were approached by a limo driver... we negotiated a price and off we went... worked out very well.

A few years back we stayed at the Embassy Suites around the corner from Wall Street in NYC... took a taxi to JFK... it was not unreasonable in costs... don't recall how much.

I would recommend using a car service rather than a metered taxi cab for the drive from JFK to the Wall Street area.

Depending on the time of day,traffic could be very heavy going into lower Manhattan from the airport.

You could be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with the taxi meter clicking away.

Better to use the car service for a flat rate plus tip.

If you have luggage, use Uber or Lyft. NYC taxis have a flat rate to specific areas, but I've had drivers who want to charge me a toll for using the 59th Street bridge (of song) which has no toll. I've found the long lines waiting for taxis intolerable, especially when you drive past the taxi lot and see how many are waiting.

If you have no luggage, Airtrain to Jamiaca, and subway (E Train) into Manhattan. NYC subways system is not suitable for luggage at all, although I've done it with a Briggs & Riley carry-on.

If you have no luggage, Airtrain to Jamiaca, and subway (E Train) into Manhattan. NYC subways system is not suitable for luggage at all, although I've done it with a Briggs & Riley carry-on.

I disagree, but I live here so I'm well used to subways.

I take two trains to the airtrain. Both trains have elevator access, which is a must with larger luggage. I also walk with a cane, so it really can be done as long as you have only one bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would recommend using a car service rather than a metered taxi cab for the drive from JFK to the Wall Street area.

Depending on the time of day,traffic could be very heavy going into lower Manhattan from the airport.

You could be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic with the taxi meter clicking away.

Better to use the car service for a flat rate plus tip.

Taxi fares from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is a flat rate, so traffic would not have an effect on how much your final fare is.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

To/From JFK and any location in Manhattan:

• Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #02 – JFK Airport.’
  • This is a flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge, and $4.50 rush hour surcharge (4 PM to 8 PM weekdays, excluding legal holidays).
  • Passenger is responsible for paying all tolls.
  • Please tip your driver for safety and good service.

I live in the city and if using a car service for airport transportation, I usually use DIal 7. They are very reliable. But I have used Carmel on occasion in the past.

Never take Super Shuttle (Blue Van) because you will wait until it's filled and they will drive you around NYC dropping off everyone else. (seems like I'm always last to be dropped off) It could be awful.

I just wouldn't want the hassle with the subways for any amount of savings while transporting luggage.

As a single, I often take the bus service NYC Airporter, but for 2 people, Dial 7 is cheaper. And then you need to take a cab or public transportation to your final destination from the bus drop off point.

So yes, my vote is for Dial 7.

Edited by lolane1
spelling

We use Uber and Dial 7 to get to and from JFK to home. I would use Dial 7 because if you are arriving at a busy time there may not be Uber drivers available. Dial 7 is extremely reliable and user friendly. You can make the booking on line. Use Uber to get around the city.