Fco

mra9955

How do-able is an 11:00'ish morning flight out of FCO back to the states?

If you arrange private transfer, you could get off the ship at 7:00am and get to the airport by 8:00am. Shouldn't be a problem.

Assuming you mean this is after disembarking from a cruise.

In general, at this particular airport you are advised to be at the airport at least 3 hours before departure for an international flight to the US (according to Trip Advisor). Therefore, you need to be there at 8:00am. If you have to factor in getting your luggage, disembarking, and traveling to the airport...then no. you don't have time to make that flight in my opinion. .

If you were getting off the ship early, at 7, then you wouldn't be waiting to get your luggage, you'd be walking off with it. You would keep it with you overnight.

That's what I have scheduled...an 11:10 flight from FCO direct to the states. I've arranged private transportation from the port at 7am and am planning on disembarking w/ our luggage...hoping for the best. Booked through ChoiceAir and when I spoke to them they said that 10:00 am was their cut off for an acceptable flight.

Assuming your ship arrives in Civitavecchia by 0500, you have kept your luggage, and you have arranged for 0700 pickup for private transportation to FCO, you should be able to make your flight. We had a 1050 flight from FCO earlier this month. I had arranged for 0700 pickup by a private transport service. We kept our luggage overnight, left our cabin at 0615, and were able to walk off the ship at 0650. Allow 90 minutes to reach FCO, though with light traffic and a fast driver you can make it in 60 minutes. This time, we were fortunate to encounter light traffic, and fairly fast check in and security lines. Last time we flew out of FCO we needed 90 minutes to travel from the port to the airport, and the check in & security lines were horrendous. Be aware that if a lot of people are doing express walk off for early flights, the elevators can be slow and crowded.

That's not enough time to travel from the port to FCO then navigate Terminal 5 and leaving no cushion for traffic and other issues.

You need to be at the terminal 3 hours prior to departure.

We flew out of Terminal 5 recently and their is a series of security, customs (areas) then a shuttle to the gate area.

All US bound flights depart from this terminal.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

That's not enough time to travel from the port to FCO then navigate Terminal 5 and leaving no cushion for traffic and other issues.

You need to be at the terminal 3 hours prior to departure.

We flew out of Terminal 5 recently and their is a series of security, customs (areas) then a shuttle to the gate area.

All US bound flights depart from this terminal.

g

This information is incorrect. Only US-based airlines uses terminal 5. And generally while recommending that you arrive to the airport early, usually the cut off time for checking bags is 60 minutes.

Booked through ChoiceAir and when I spoke to them they said that 10:00 am was their cut off for an acceptable flight.

10.00am :o - I wouldn't even book that for a European flight. You can sometimes experience very heavy traffic back to FCO, especially in peak summer months. I suppose it's whatever you are comfortable with.

Not sure if you use this site or not but it may help you in terms of traffic on your day of travel to FCO.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

Look up your ship and date and you can see how many other ships will be in port that day. Our cruise in September will be returning to Civitavecchia with five other ships! Not all will be disembarking but traffic to FCO is expected to be heavy where a lot of tours to Rome will also be heading in that direction. Also, it wouldn't hurt to ask your transportation company what they recommend since they do these transfers every day.

You do NOT any longer go to terminal 5 to check in for US bound flights. T5 is closed. As I said earlier, I flew from FCO earlier this month. I went directly from the port to terminal 3 to check in for my 1050 United flight. If the OP leaves the port in private transport at 0700, he should make his 11-ish flight with no problems.

Not sure if you use this site or not but it may help you in terms of traffic on your day of travel to FCO.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx

Look up your ship and date and you can see how many other ships will be in port that day. Our cruise in September will be returning to Civitavecchia with five other ships! Not all will be disembarking but traffic to FCO is expected to be heavy where a lot of tours to Rome will also be heading in that direction. Also, it wouldn't hurt to ask your transportation company what they recommend since they do these transfers every day.

I couldn't get it through that link, but found it through this one...http://crew-center.com/civitavecchia-cruise-ships-schedule-2017

It looks like one other ship is getting in at 5am like the one I'll be on, and another arriving at 7am when I hope to be in my car heading for the airport. Hopefully this will all work out. The transfer company said that 7am was the time to pick us up...

We just got home through FCO. Terminal 3, gave ourselves 3 hrs prior to departure time, got through everything - baggage drop off, security... all under 30 min. Ended up sitting in the lounge for an hour before going to the gate. Flight was at 11:15am.

We decided to stay an extra night in Rome. It gave us an extra day to enjoy Rome and we didn't feel the stress of making the 11 am flight. We got up the next morning, had breakfast and our private transfer was waiting on us to take us to the airport. We just didn't want to end our wonderful trip stressing out...and we were willing to endure the hardship of another night in Rome. ;p

You do NOT any longer go to terminal 5 to check in for US bound flights. T5 is closed. As I said earlier, I flew from FCO earlier this month. I went directly from the port to terminal 3 to check in for my 1050 United flight. If the OP leaves the port in private transport at 0700, he should make his 11-ish flight with no problems.

That's good news. We flew out last year having to go through Terminal 5, and it was a PIA to say the least.

We have had really quick easy disembakations and journeys to the airport, and some really awful, long delayed ones, I wouldnt want an 11am flight even back to the UK, ans I would stress about the what if's all holiday, last time Rome airport was in chaos, with security queues so long I felt my life slipping away from me!

A later flight is so much nicer, you can even do the 'extend your stay' option if they still offer it on european cruises, where you can stay onboard until approx 3pm, and enjoy that last day a bit longer.... we did this and loved it.

We've done two 10:50am flights back to the US from FCO the past two years and never had an issue at terminal 5. As mentioned, we walked off our luggage and had car pickup waiting for us at 6:50-7:00am. We've always had ample time to purchase food, etc and not be rushed. Plan on doing same this september and good to hear if it's improved.