Question: About Breakfast in the Lido Market on Koningsdam.

Gnoelj

We will be traveling for the fist time on the Koningsdam and with HAL, so both the ship and cruise company will be new to us.

We saw a copy of the breakfast menu in the Lido Market on http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Lido-Breakfast-Menu.pdf . We realise every cruise line is different but we noticed certain "standard" breakfast buffet offerings (which one would see in many other cruise lines ) seemed to be missing.

Although their "Breadboard" section offers breads/cakes like croissants, bagels, raisin breads , muffins, etc (which are relatively higher in calories), they did not seem to list any breakfast bread rolls (white or wholemeal) - apart for some toasted breads (toasted bread , we found , were not always fresh). Can anyone who have experience on the Koningsdam inform us if they have something as fresh, soft bread rolls or untoasted fresh breads rather than just those ones listed?

On the same note, does the Lido Market have muesli, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, and mushrooms in their breakfast offerings? Those items also seem to be missing from that menu.

We will be traveling for the fist time on the Koningsdam and with HAL, so both the ship and cruise company will be new to us.

We saw a copy of the breakfast menu in the Lido Market on http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Lido-Breakfast-Menu.pdf . We noticed certain "standard" breakfast buffet offerings (which one would see in many other cruise lines) seemed to be missing.

Although their "Breadboard" section offers breads/cakes like croissants, bagels, raisin breads , muffins, etc (which are relatively higher in calories), they did not seem to list any breakfast bread rolls (white or wholemeal) - apart for some toasted breads (toasted bread , we found , were not always fresh). Can anyone who have experience on the Koningsdam inform us if they have something as fresh, soft bread rolls or untoasted fresh breads rather than just those ones listed?

On the same note, does the Lido Market have muesli, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, and mushrooms in their breakfast offerings? They also seem to be missing from that menu.

Hello Gnoelj,

I did a 13 day crossing, Ft. Lauderdale/Rome last month on the Koningsdam. Breads are baked daily and there is a wide variety of wholegrain and refined flour rolls and breads. they can't list everything, but it is safe to say that you'll have a choice of 12-15 different breads/rolls each morning. "Yes" to muesli and all of your other favorite breakfast foods. I had a sensational time on the Koningsdam and it is now my favorite HAL ship.

Look for the section marked 'English Breakfast', that's where you will find the Baked Beans (not always warm tho'), mushroooms, grilled half tomato and English Bacon Rashers ;p

The breads are also available, though sometimes finding them can be a bit of a scavenger hunt. For soft rolls start at the Bakery section. You can even get Bread Pudding for breakfast :D:D

Look for the section marked 'English Breakfast', that's where you will find the Baked Beans (not always warm tho'), mushroooms, grilled half tomato and English Bacon Rashers ;p

The breads are also available, though sometimes finding them can be a bit of a scavenger hunt. For soft rolls start at the Bakery section. You can even get Bread Pudding for breakfast :D:D

Thanks for the info. I don't mind Baked Beans not being warm, but offering bread pudding for breakfast? Which community in the world have bread pudding for breakfast? That's rather , ahem, unusual ! Think I would skip that one out!!!:D:D

Thanks for the info. I don't mind Baked Beans not being warm, but offering bread pudding for breakfast? Which community in the world have bread pudding for breakfast? That's rather , ahem, unusual ! Think I would skip that one out!!!:D:D

Better then thsat you don't cast your eyes on the Japanese breakfast offerings. ;) People from different parts of the world eat different types of food at breakfast. Someone might ask: "who eats grilled tomatoes and baked beans for breakfast?!" Bread pudding... French Toast... same basic ingredients.

Slightly off topic, but when we were pre-cruise in Barcelona the hotel had the most amazing chocolate tart on the breakfast buffet..... and yes, I did have some ;)

What I find strange is the countries, mostly Northern Europe, that have cold hams, salamis and cheeses for breakfast. I think maybe cold fish in some places too. :eek:

Slightly off topic, but when we were pre-cruise in Barcelona the hotel had the most amazing chocolate tart on the breakfast buffet..... and yes, I did have some ;)

What I find strange is the countries, mostly Northern Europe, that have cold hams, salamis and cheeses for breakfast. I think maybe cold fish in some places too. :eek:

....and when we were in Rome, the hotel had some of the best dessert/cakes/tarts on the breakfast buffet. It was so delicious we pretended it was dinner time and enjoyed them!:D

...and if you are in Bangkok, Thailand, your hotel may even serve Western, Japanese and Thai breakfast on their buffet!

...and on Princess Cruises, in addition to Western fayre for breakfast , they offered Chinese style rice porridge with chicken. Not bad actually!

I am always puzzled by folks to only want to eat the stuff they eat at home. I'm a cereal or oatmeal plus fruit girl at home, but.... when in Britain, bring on the "Full Fry" : eggs, bacon that bears no resemblance to American bacon, beans, fried tomato, mushrooms, dry cold toast......). And in Northern Europe, if you want to give me cured meats and cheeses, do it!

If not willing to try new things, how else would I have learned that I REALLY like the "Dutch" breakfast in the MDR (with mustard!) or - (EEK!) that in Scotland, haggis, well made, is oh-so- delicious.

Sometimes travel should be about pushing yourself beyond your "comfort zone". It's just a meal, for goodness sake! Try something new and weird!

I can highly recommend ordering breakfast brought to your cabin. We did that several mornings on the Koningsdam when we had early excursions. Always arrived promptly and hot. Even available on disembarkation day.

I hope you more adventurous people try Aussie breakfast; vegemite and toast. I love it with Italian gorgonzola cheese! I was happy to find vegemite on the Koningsdam last year but it what was funny was that they did not know how to serve it (here it usually comes in little packets at hotels but on the ship they had a proper jar.) they brought it with silver spoons, amongst other ways.

I loved the breakfast when we were in Matera in Basilica, Italy, last year. Apart from pastries and cakes they had amazing potato faoccacias.

I found the breakfast offering on the Koningsdam fine, but not exceptional. The Lido was a scene of chaos and they took 45 minutes to bring a coffee in the MDR. Our favourite breakfasts are in Singapore and Malaysia;the variety is overwhelming.

...and on Princess Cruises, in addition to Western fayre for breakfast , they offered Chinese style rice porridge with chicken.
I often get congee for breakfast on HAL ships. If not on display at the Asian station in the Lido, when I ask they go in the back someplace and get it.

grilled tomatoes, baked beans,
to which on RCCL they added Black Pudding, which I had never seen but quickly became a fan of. Would love to see that on HAL. Trying new things for meals, even breakfast, is part of the adventure of cruising.

We have sailed on the Koningsdam twice now and ate the majority of our breakfasts in the Lido buffet. There is so much to choose from. Yes there are all sorts of fresh rolls, breads, bagels etc. I would suggest first do a walk around the entire Lido to see what all the stations offer. Some stations are duplicated on both sides of the Lido, but some are not, so make sure you check out both sides. We also loved having breakfast at the New York deli. It was very quiet there. They have all sorts of bagels and do a great toasted breakfast bagel - egg, ham, cheese. They also have coffee, juice, yogurt, fruit etc.

We loved the Koningsdam - hope you enjoy it.

Breakfast at the Lido on Koningsdam is not really set up like with the other HAL ships. I searched high and low for eggs Benedict on our December cruise aboard the Koningsdam. I am used to seeing a section with poached eggs along with eggs benedict and then several 'international' varieties of eggs benedict. That was not the set up on Koningsdam. The food you are used to is there, just not in the format you may be used to. Anyway, lovely ship and food was great. We always have a great time on HAL.

to which on RCCL they added Black Pudding, which I had never seen but quickly became a fan of. Would love to see that on HAL. Trying new things for meals, even breakfast, is part of the adventure of cruising.

We know some people like black pudding, but did you know it is made from clotted blood and fat? The thought of that made us squirm , sorry but black pudding is not for us .

We know some people like black pudding, but did you know it is made from clotted blood and fat? The thought of that made us squirm , sorry but black pudding is not for us .

It's sold everywhere in the UK, even in the employee canteen where I work. I see so many people with their plates pilled high of black pudding, sausages, bacon, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried egg and fried bread - it can't be good for them. I'd rather have some muesli myself! :D

Koningsdam also had black pudding, fried bread and proper bangers! :D:halo:

If we called it a rare sirloin chop with maitre d' butter ......:cool:

to which on rccl they added black pudding, which i had never seen but quickly became a fan of. Would love to see that on hal. Trying new things for meals, even breakfast, is part of the adventure of cruising.

absolutely! Can't wait for the amazing international variety;)

It is scary what passes for breakfast in some cultures: blood pancakes, Dutch herring, biscuits and gravy, vegemite on toast, I'm sure there are those whose stomachs would turn at the thought of eggs over easy with liquid yolks -- that is why it is good to have lots of small tables - so you only have to look at your own breakfast.

It is scary what passes for breakfast in some cultures: blood pancakes, Dutch herring, biscuits and gravy, vegemite on toast, I'm sure there are those whose stomachs would turn at the thought of eggs over easy with liquid yolks -- that is why it is good to have lots of small tables - so you only have to look at your own breakfast.

If one is so easily offended room service breakfast seems more appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums