Duties of a Travel Agency

richwmn

How often do travel agents give perks above and beyond what the cruise line gives (like Explore 4)? Is this something you negotiate in advance when you transfer the booking to them, or something they surprise the customer with?

What's considered a reasonable perk?

Read my above posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The benefits of using a TA are always a little confusing to me, except that I can talk directly to her. However, most of the reduction in fares, etc. are actually found by me. All she does (and I couldn't do it so she is giving service) is to contact the company and get the lower price for me.

I wish I could say that she is discounting my fares, but she isn't. She will give an occasional perk; for example, we recently returned from a European river cruise which probably totaled $15,000. When we returned, she sent us a "wine country gift package". Only because I was wondering about the wine included did I discover that the cost of the package was $99. So, since I assume that she (large company) did not pay that cost, I'm not thinking this was any great benefit.

But, I can talk to her in person; I'm a little afraid to go with the "voice on the phone". I did recently tell her that we are contemplating a cruise that a "voice" company discounts by $500 per person, and that I might go with them. Since I've been dealing with her for probably ten years I felt that I owed her the "heads up". I don't think she can match the price since it was for an inside cabin so not a particularly expensive cabin.

The benefits of using a TA are always a little confusing to me, except that I can talk directly to her. However, most of the reduction in fares, etc. are actually found by me. All she does (and I couldn't do it so she is giving service) is to contact the company and get the lower price for me.

I wish I could say that she is discounting my fares, but she isn't. She will give an occasional perk; for example, we recently returned from a European river cruise which probably totaled $15,000. When we returned, she sent us a "wine country gift package". Only because I was wondering about the wine included did I discover that the cost of the package was $99. So, since I assume that she (large company) did not pay that cost, I'm not thinking this was any great benefit.

But, I can talk to her in person; I'm a little afraid to go with the "voice on the phone". I did recently tell her that we are contemplating a cruise that a "voice" company discounts by $500 per person, and that I might go with them. Since I've been dealing with her for probably ten years I felt that I owed her the "heads up". I don't think she can match the price since it was for an inside cabin so not a particularly expensive cabin.

You REALLY need to read my previous posts....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have always booked through the cruise lines, and haven't gotten anything other than what is on the website. Recently, I learned that a major " club type" big box store has a travel agency, and they seem to offer many more perks than dealing with the cruise line. Some of the perks include a couple of hundred dollars worth of " cash cards" that you can use in the store, plus pretty good OBC. I am looking to book a TA on Koningsdam in October but have not yet booked.

Sorry for responding.

You shouldn't be sorry for responding. You, most likely, have been using a full service TA that you don't seem to need. If you are not getting value from the TA you are using, either in money or services, than you need to try something else like one of the big box stores.

Part of the reason for this thread is that I seem to be getting more and more solicitations from organizations I belong to that now have travel benefits. I am sure that these are not "in house" employees but rather that the organization has a relationship with one of the bigger TAs. Checking around, I found several that I talked to had similar deals including amount of OBC included.

Ymmv.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I certainly hope you're getting better service by dealing directly with the cruise line because you're paying 10% more for your cruise than I am.

Actually, we believe that our TA provides better service than a cruise line rep or PCC. And the agency certainly keeps better business hours than some cruise lines. For us it is better service, lower cost.

So what is the financial difference between booking with a PCC versus a high volume reputable online cruise agency? For us, having booked over 100 cruises by shopping around among a few of our favorite online cruise agencies our savings are generally in the 7-10% range. However, on longer more expensive HAL cruises we have sometimes saved up to 15%! The savings come in the form of a lower cruise price, on board credits, pre paid gratuities, etc. Consider a $20,000 HAL booking. We will generally save at least $2000 by NOT using our PCC. Our PCC has acknowledged the price differences and her solution is that we should book with her and then transfer the booking to our favorite cruise agency. But this scheme (used by many) takes away the leverage a customer has (with a cruise agency) when doing a new booking. Our favored cruise agencies are aware that we shop around among a few of their competitors.,,,so if they want our booking it is in their interests to "sweeten our offer" to get the business.

We also agree with another post about the clout of high volume cruise agencies. Unlike the PCCs....our cruise agents work for us! Since we cruise on many different cruise lines our cruise agents are able to compete for our bookings with any cruise line (unlike a PCC). And our cruise agents also pass along things they have heard and know about different lines. So, for example, if I call one of my favorite cruise agents (her name is Jennifer) and tell her I am thinking about booking a HAL cruise to Asia....she might mention that they have a great deal on a Crystal cruise doing a similar itinerary. If I do book the HAL cruise I can do it in a few minutes online or via the phone...our payment is processed by HAL (not the cruise agent) and our booking will show up on our HAL online account within seconds. It is just like booking directly with the cruise line...except that we save money (sometimes thousands of dollars per booking).

My PCC does seem like a very nice lady, but I am not willing to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars more,,,,,just to book with her :).

Hank

You shouldn't be sorry for responding.
I suspect the comment you were replying to was about the tone of the responses not their content.

Actually, we believe that our TA provides better service than a cruise line rep or PCC. And the agency certainly keeps better business hours than some cruise lines. For us it is better service, lower cost.

Ymmv.

Edited by bUU

Our PCC has acknowledged the price differences and her solution is that we should book with her and then transfer the booking to our favorite cruise agency. But this scheme (used by many) takes away the leverage a customer has (with a cruise agency) when doing a new booking. Our favored cruise agencies are aware that we shop around among a few of their competitors.,,,so if they want our booking it is in their interests to "sweeten our offer" to get the business.

:)

Hank

Why does that scheme take away leverage. It's a booking. I've booked on board and then 'shopped' that booking with multiple agents. Why can't you do the same with a booking through a PCC?

Why does that scheme take away leverage. It's a booking. I've booked on board and then 'shopped' that booking with multiple agents. Why can't you do the same with a booking through a PCC?

I have booked most of my cruises with a PCC and with her blessing transferred them to a Travel Agent. In doing so, I have contacted several agencies, picking the agency that gave me the best overall deal. I don't think I have lost any "leverage" I might have by doing the initial booking with the agency

Sorry for responding.

I suspect the comment you were replying to was about the tone of the responses not their content.

I don't think calteacher should be "sorry for responding", no matter what the content or tone of a post responding to her. This forum is for all views.

I don't think calteacher should be "sorry for responding", no matter what the content or tone of a post responding to her. This forum is for all views.
I agree completely.

Call me naive, but:

Would the practice of booking with a PCC then transferring the booking to a TA benefit both? The PCC would get a tic mark on her quota/get credit for booking someone, then the TA would get whatever kickback/perk/etc he would get from taking over the booking? A TA does get something, right? If not, what ROI would the TA have for doing this? A possibility of future business?

I'm genuinely curious to know. I have used both, but now that I travel lowest possible cabin class and travel solo, the OBC and other perks are usually nonexistent or not enough to go through the machinations of transfer.

You can certainly try. On the other hand, why deal with both a PCC and a cruise agent (double work). As to leverage, in some (not all) cases we have been able to negotiate additional benefits from our various cruise agents because of several factors. 1. We are very good customers,,,,often booking over 100 cruise days a year, 2. We do not demand hand holding. We know what we want, and will book with very little hesitation. Once booked, we have only canceled 2 cruises out of more then 100.

Calling or e-mailing an agent and telling them I am going to book a $20.000 (or more) cruise in the next 2 days...and the agency that gives me the best deal gets the booking....gives me some leverage. Telling an agency I have transferred an existing booking to their agency...gives me much less leverage. Its like buying a home from another owner. If you tell the owner you want some improvements (before you close the deal) you are likely to get some satisfaction., But once you sign that sales contract...you have less chance of getting additional concessions.

I will say that when it comes to short cruises (no more then 10 days) we generally don't try to negotiate deals...and simply price out the cruise package (including OBCs and other amenities) with 3 or 4 of our favorite online agencies...and then check the deal on the cruise line's web site. The best overall deal gets our booking...and all this price comparison generally takes me no more then a half hour on the computer. But when we book long and more expensive cruises....we will often spend more time trying to maximize our savings. To be honest, I don't want to waste my time trying to save a few more dollars. But when we are talking many hundreds or even thousands....that is worth some time and effort.

When it comes to HAL.,,,we have never been able to get a deal from the cruise line that is even close to what we can get from some cruise agencies. We have also priced out our HAL cruises with a particular Northwest US cruise agency that is very popular with many frequent HAL cruisers. This is because several other HAL cruisers keep singing the praises of this one agency who often has a presence onboard HAL cruises., Despite numerous attempts, we have never been able to get a deal from this agency that comes close to what we can find elsewhere. In the final analysis we simply have a philosophy that it is usually worthwhile to shop around.

Hank

We have only used that big box Washington State based TA once. Our last cruise. And only because it was Princess special for Canadians that essentially gave us US dollars at par (we live in Canada). We did get a small OBC...about 4 percent of the comm. fare as I recall. Our go to is usually a US on line TA as long as there are no benefits in the currency conversion on booking/paying.

When we have priced cruises at this big box store in the past directly with their US team they did provide OBC's however the bottom line price was never competitive when compared to what our on line TA was able to offer. Since this is a straightforward booking exercise we go with the best price. No different than buying gas for our car.

Call me naive, but:

Would the practice of booking with a PCC then transferring the booking to a TA benefit both? The PCC would get a tic mark on her quota/get credit for booking someone, then the TA would get whatever kickback/perk/etc he would get from taking over the booking? A TA does get something, right? If not, what ROI would the TA have for doing this? A possibility of future business?

I'm genuinely curious to know. I have used both, but now that I travel lowest possible cabin class and travel solo, the OBC and other perks are usually nonexistent or not enough to go through the machinations of transfer.

This is exactly what I have been saying for years whenever certain people post their feelings that the discount TAs are the only way to go. I do book outside cabins, but as a solo, the net result is the same. I am generally not offered enough to go somewhere other than my PCC unless the cruise is more than 12 days or so.

That being said, I do place the initial booking with my PCC so she gets the credit she needs and then, with her blessing, transfer to a TA if it makes sense.

You can certainly try. On the other hand, why deal with both a PCC and a cruise agent (double work). As to leverage, in some (not all) cases we have been able to negotiate additional benefits from our various cruise agents because of several factors. 1. We are very good customers,,,,often booking over 100 cruise days a year, 2. We do not demand hand holding. We know what we want, and will book with very little hesitation. Once booked, we have only canceled 2 cruises out of more then 100.

Calling or e-mailing an agent and telling them I am going to book a $20.000 (or more) cruise in the next 2 days...and the agency that gives me the best deal gets the booking....gives me some leverage. Telling an agency I have transferred an existing booking to their agency...gives me much less leverage. Its like buying a home from another owner. If you tell the owner you want some improvements (before you close the deal) you are likely to get some satisfaction., But once you sign that sales contract...you have less chance of getting additional concessions.

I will say that when it comes to short cruises (no more then 10 days) we generally don't try to negotiate deals...and simply price out the cruise package (including OBCs and other amenities) with 3 or 4 of our favorite online agencies...and then check the deal on the cruise line's web site. The best overall deal gets our booking...and all this price comparison generally takes me no more then a half hour on the computer. But when we book long and more expensive cruises....we will often spend more time trying to maximize our savings. To be honest, I don't want to waste my time trying to save a few more dollars. But when we are talking many hundreds or even thousands....that is worth some time and effort.

When it comes to HAL.,,,we have never been able to get a deal from the cruise line that is even close to what we can get from some cruise agencies. We have also priced out our HAL cruises with a particular Northwest US cruise agency that is very popular with many frequent HAL cruisers. This is because several other HAL cruisers keep singing the praises of this one agency who often has a presence onboard HAL cruises., Despite numerous attempts, we have never been able to get a deal from this agency that comes close to what we can find elsewhere. In the final analysis we simply have a philosophy that it is usually worthwhile to shop around.

Hank

You make several good points.

I've found that PCC can sometimes have access to more information than a TA. For example, a PCC can see more cabins. Sometimes a PCC can get a cabin which is in a status that precludes it being booked can get that cabin reassigned. Small things, but useful never the less.

I wouldn't tell the TA that you've transferred a cabin and then try to negotiate. You say you contact multiple TA when you want to make a booking to see who has the best deal. Why not contact multiple TA with the message that you have a booking to be transferred and see what they offer?

I think one of the reasons some report finding few rewards for booking with a TA is because they book cheaper cruises. Nothing wrong with that but one would expect the rewards from the TA to be greater on more costly bookings. For example, 10% is a commonly cited as a perk given by a TA. Ten percent of an inside guarantee on a three day cruise does not approach 10% of a suite on a two week cruise.

I'm a bit of a newcomer at this PCC/TA transfer thing. I've done six cruises. The second was with a PCC and I didn't understand TA discounts, etc., so I didn't attempt a transfer. My 3rd through 6th cruises were through a TA with great discounts. I've booked my next (7th) cruise through a PCC and she knows I intend to transfer it at the appropriate time. It's a bit of an experiement so we'll see how that works out. She was able to pull a room out of reserve for me. My next (8th) cruise after that was booked direct with the TA.

This is exactly what I have been saying for years whenever certain people post their feelings that the discount TAs are the only way to go. I do book outside cabins, but as a solo, the net result is the same. I am generally not offered enough to go somewhere other than my PCC unless the cruise is more than 12 days or so.

That being said, I do place the initial booking with my PCC so she gets the credit she needs and then, with her blessing, transfer to a TA if it makes sense.

I do the same thing, and in fact my PCC transfers the booking (for which she has the credit) to the TA herself, prior to final payment date. The TA offers me excellent OBC and has also gotten me an upsell to Neptune on every cruise when they start to be offered.

Well, I plan to follow this strategy for the first time.

I am going to use a PCC (if all goes well) and then transfer it later if it is worth while.

I have a flight air credit and in order to be able to see the available flights and not take up a lot of the TA's time I need to book with HAL.

So, I'm going to give it a shot. It will be an interesting comparison - at least, for me ;)

It is unclear to me why booking a cruise is such a big deal for experienced cruisers. We generally know what we want, when we want it, and where in the ship we want. No guesswork involved. What is there to control once you have your cruise line reservation number other than to monitor prices prior to final payment (and perhaps after as well).

No different than buying a bag of flour or a gallon/litre of gasoline. Get the right price, make the deal. End of.

Is there something that we are missing? This formula has worked for us for years.

It is unclear to me why booking a cruise is such a big deal for experienced cruisers. We generally know what we want, when we want it, and where in the ship we want. No guesswork involved. What is there to control once you have your cruise line reservation number other than to monitor prices prior to final payment (and perhaps after as well).

No different than buying a bag of flour or a gallon/litre of gasoline. Get the right price, make the deal. End of.

Is there something that we are missing? This formula has worked for us for years.

You are, of course, correct. The initial booking, whether you use a PCC or TA, is an easy process for most of us. My PCC knows what type of cabin I like and has been good about taking care of me. I keep her in the loop until just before final payment and then transfer it, if warranted, to an agency. I don't have to worry about emails being in a spam folder at some agency until final payment and I talk to the same person for most of the life of the booking. For those of you who do the original booking with a TA, what is the harm in making that booking with a PCC that you build up a relationship with, followed by using the transfer to "leverage" 3 to 5 agencies to give the best deal?

You the customer should always be your own advocate.:)

Again, you are right. However, you need to talk to someone in order to book your cruise and make any changes you might want / need. Not everything goes perfectly. Do you talk to a PCC - the same one every time, a known agent at an agency that you use regularly, or a random agent at whatever agency gave you the best deal today?

You are, of course, correct. The initial booking, whether you use a PCC or TA, is an easy process for most of us. My PCC knows what type of cabin I like and has been good about taking care of me. I keep her in the loop until just before final payment and then transfer it, if warranted, to an agency. I don't have to worry about emails being in a spam folder at some agency until final payment and I talk to the same person for most of the life of the booking. For those of you who do the original booking with a TA, what is the harm in making that booking with a PCC that you build up a relationship with, followed by using the transfer to "leverage" 3 to 5 agencies to give the best deal?

Again, you are right. However, you need to talk to someone in order to book your cruise and make any changes you might want / need. Not everything goes perfectly. Do you talk to a PCC - the same one every time, a known agent at an agency that you use regularly, or a random agent at whatever agency gave you the best deal today?

No wonder cruise fares are going up! You use the resources of the cruise line to get your vacation all arranged and then at a select time you transfer it to a TA who gets 10% from the cruise line , then gives you a small perk and pockets the rest of the commission for doing absolutely nothing in relation to the booking. I'm surprised the cruise lines allow these transfers as they are paying two people to do a single booking.