Long-Zoom Camera with Decent-Sized Sensor?

dcinmb

I have a Canon S95 that still serves me well but I'm headed to Alaska in a few weeks and looking for a camera that offers a longer zoom. The challenge has been finding a long-zoom camera that also has a decent-sized sensor. My online research has led me to the following three options (B&H Photo pricing):

• Canon G3 X - $899 w/optional electronic viewfinder - 20.2MP 1" high-sensitivity CMOS sensor; 24-600mm; 25X zoom; Full HD video at 60p
  • Panasonic Lumix FZ 2500 - $1,098 - 20.1MP 1" high-sensitivity MOS sensor; 24-480mm; 20X zoom; 4K video
  • Sony RX10 III - $1,598 - 20.1MP 1" Exmor RS BSI CMOS sensor; 24-600mm; 25X zoom; Full HD video at 960 fps

These are all bigger than I'd like but I don't have much choice if I want the long zoom/1" sensor combo. It appears that the Canon is the least huge of the three.

Our local Best Buy sales reps weren't much help but B&H recommends the Canon simply because it's a better value.

Does anyone have experience with these cameras? Are there any other comparable options I've missed? The Sony generally gets the best reviews but is it worth an extra $500 - $700? It'll be years before I buy another camera so I might be willing to splurge if it really is that much better than the others.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Diana

Remember to compare the aperture of the 3 lenses. Makes a huge difference in using the camera in lower light, using faster shutter speeds, and actually getting usable shots at the long end.

In the end, you get what you pay for. The Canon will give you the zoom range, but as slower aperture than the other 2. And most reviews I've seen suggest rather poor autofocus performance.

The Panasonic lens is faster than the Canon, and has superior video features.

Then the Sony has a lens that is both faster and longer then the Panasonic and the camera offers superior burst rates, etc.

The Sony has been widely considered the best in this field - as Havoc mentioned, the combination of speed/performance, lens aperture, and reach, plus decent moisture resistance, make it a pretty solid all-rounder.

You might search around for open-box deals that do pop up. A quick search at Amazon shows they have one at $1199 fulfilled through Amazon warehouse deals...that can take the edge off the price if you trust the open box ones.

When It comes to cameras buy NEW retail. If anything goes wrong with it the manufacture normally will stand behind the NEW retail longer. Make sure it's not gray market or you might only have a store warrantee.

My 2 cents.

framer

You really do get what you pay for.

The photography site DPreview has a 'roundup' comparison article of Enthusiast Long Zoom Cameras

You may find that a useful starting place.

I would want a camera with a viewfinder - so that would exclude the Canon, unless the accessory viewfinder was included.

Since this is a big ticket item, you could consider renting the camera for the cruise - sites like 'lensrentals.com' and 'borrowlenses.com' have the Panasonic and Sony cameras in their inventory - about $80/week. I think the rental fee may be [partially] be used for purchase [check each site's terms and conditions].

Thanks for everyone's input. Sony it is! (Happy Early Birthday to me!;p) Although I'm kicking myself because it was $200 cheaper a few weeks ago when I was thinking there was no way I was going to spend that much!

Thanks again!

Diana

Thanks for everyone's input. Sony it is! (Happy Early Birthday to me!;p) Although I'm kicking myself because it was $200 cheaper a few weeks ago when I was thinking there was no way I was going to spend that much!

Thanks again!

Diana

Try buying it through greentoe.com .... I typically save 5-10%, and get a brand new USA warranty product.

I got lucky and Sony reduced the price by $200 again, so it was clearly meant to be (I can rationalize anything)! Placed my order with B&H today and will receive it by Thursday.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Thanks for the link, Don. While the super zoom capabilities and reasonable price points of these cameras are appealing, they all have 1/2.3" sensors, so their image quality is not going to be as good as that of the Sony, Panasonic and Canon models I mentioned in my original post above. The consensus here and in many reviews/comparisons I've read is that it's hard to beat the Sony performance-wise, so I went ahead and ordered it today.

Thanks for the link, Don. While the super zoom capabilities and reasonable price points of these cameras are appealing, they all have 1/2.3" sensors, so their image quality is not going to be as good as that of the Sony, Panasonic and Canon models I mentioned in my original post above. The consensus here and in many reviews/comparisons I've read is that it's hard to beat the Sony performance-wise, so I went ahead and ordered it today.

No argument. However, DPreview is one of my go to sites for camera reviews and they also do good "best of" camera comparisons.

DON