Please sir, can I have some more?

Owlhelm

We ate at the Crown Grill (on the Grand) in January and my daughter and I asked for 2 filet mignons each when we made our orders. No problem, and the waiter didn't blink an eye. My husband had filet mignon and lobster, and same thing - no prob;em. If there is any change to this, it's a very recent development.

Not liking the cynics here. Doesn't add a thing to the thread, though this is CC.:(

I do wonder about the charge adder. I've seen a pic of the menu with it showing. I'm hoping it isn't fleet wide and only on the one ship (I forget which one it was.) Hopefully, it isn't on one I'll be sailing on.

Not cynics. Just realists disseminating information and opinions. Oh and not everybody gets a trophy here either. Sorry!

We ate at the Crown Grill (on the Grand) in January and my daughter and I asked for 2 filet mignons each when we made our orders. No problem, and the waiter didn't blink an eye. My husband had filet mignon and lobster, and same thing - no prob;em. If there is any change to this, it's a very recent development.

Yes, it appears to be very recent. On the Star in April they were charging for any extra's. It didn't bother us as we were both stuffed with one of each. Even the appetizers were large. :)

We did the Crown Grill on the Grand in December over New Years... had dinner there for 10 nights... tried many items on the menu... we love the sea bass, actually eat it the most, followed by fillet migon, lamb chops, veal chops, shrimp dish, enjoyed everything we had... my dh does not eat shell fish so did not try lobster. We are going on the Royal... plan to do the same thing... with the sides (mushrooms, asparagus, potato dishes, we did not have room for dessert.

I can't even eat the regular dinner let alone getting more. I'd love to order the ribeye but can't eat that much so I end up getting the filet which is not what I want. The last two times we have eaten specialty venue meals we have been underwhelmed by the quality of the food. When I have had lobster added on it looked like an overgrown crayfish tail and was cooked until it was like rubber.

That's exactly my experience. We generally go to the CG every cruise, at least once, but we barely can finish our one main course. We now don't even bother with the soups and only share a dessert. Our waiter in April made some sort of joke about how little we ordered. We felt stuffed yet my husband has a good appetite. I did notice that a table of 6 across from us were ordering multiple main courses with much of it going to waste. It wasn't just extra lobster but a variety of meat cuts, as well.

I'm not a fan of the lobster in the CG so I can't add any value to the OP's question.

In the past, when I have just ordered the lobster tails, I was served 6 of them initially, and about halfway thru the entrée portion of the meal, the waiter came back to ask if I was ready for more. I have never taken him up on the offer because I have never been able to eat all 6 by myself. I always share with my tablemates.

And I love it when you share...;p

So it all boils down to YMMV (your mileage may vary). In other words - sometimes there is an additional charge, sometimes not. Ask the waiter if you have a question.

We have only been to the CG once. Last year during our New England cruise. No additional charge for the lobster tail along with the filet. We usually tip in CG although not required.

Absolutely not! I expect the cutbacks, up-sells and shakedowns to increase. I would not be surprised if some day, the only food included in the fare is the buffet!

[/b]

I cringe when I read the rave reviews about how wonderful the buffet on the Regal and Royal are. Some even bragging how they didn't even eat in the MDR. To me this is the writing on the wall. Create wonderful buffet meals to wean us off of the MDR food and then once they eliminate the MDR the can dumb down the buffet.

I do agree that the buffet food on the Regal & Royal surpasses that on other Princess buffets but if they even consider charging for the DR food, we'll be gone to another cruise line in a flash. I would hate to start over again (near the bottom) but that would do it for us and I suspect for many others as well. :(

As of a month ago on the CB the CG did not charge extra for extra lobster tails. The food is so bad(really great) in the CG my stomach hurts when I leave... I can't seem to control by eating.

framer

The new menu in the Crown Grill clearly states that there is an additional charge for additional entrees. IMHO the lobster served on board, whether in the specialty restaurants or the MDR, is not particularly yummy. I would rather get some really good, sweet, large Maine lobster tails and prepare them at home the way we love them, with Hollandaise for dipping, than pay an up charge to have surf and turf in the Crown Grill, since we walk out of there stuffed anyway.

I can't even eat the regular dinner let alone getting more. I'd love to order the ribeye but can't eat that much so I end up getting the filet which is not what I want. The last two times we have eaten specialty venue meals we have been underwhelmed by the quality of the food. When I have had lobster added on it looked like an overgrown crayfish tail and was cooked until it was like rubber.

Here is how I figure it. Princess has lowered the cost of our normal Crowne Grill meal by four bucks each. As we don't order two main offerings, the additional charge does not affect us. Should one want to consume two mains, it will cost 6 dollars more than the previous price. It is hardly a scene from Oliver Twist.

Here is how I figure it. Princess has lowered the cost of our normal Crowne Grill meal by four bucks each. As we don't order two main offerings, the additional charge does not affect us. Should one want to consume two mains, it will cost 6 dollars more than the previous price. It is hardly a scene from Oliver Twist.

This is a recent change that seems to have started sometime in May with the printing of new menus.

As far as I know, only Sabatini's dropped their price by $4; the Crown Grill is still $29.

This is a recent change that seems to have started sometime in May with the printing of new menus.

As far as I know, only Sabatini's dropped their price by $4; the Crown Grill is still $29.

Hello FritzG,

If so, I stand corrected. I am known to make mistakes.

Sorry to hear that. I was planning on going there on Formal night hoping that it would be better than the rubber one they serve in the MDR.

My theory on rubbery lobster tail is that that the first ones served are prepared ahead of the crowd first sitting down & ordering. They have literary dozens of them sitting there prepared waiting to be served (and being overcooked).

I ask for no lobster on the first plate & double up on the prawns. Then after I finish my prawns the freshly made tails are ready to be served on my second plate (without the prawns).;)

I do agree that the buffet food on the Regal & Royal surpasses that on other Princess buffets but if they even consider charging for the DR food, we'll be gone to another cruise line in a flash. I would hate to start over again (near the bottom) but that would do it for us and I suspect for many others as well. :(

It will certainly do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My theory on rubbery lobster tail is that that the first ones served are prepared ahead of the crowd first sitting down & ordering. They have literary dozens of them sitting there prepared waiting to be served (and being overcooked).

I ask for no lobster on the first plate & double up on the prawns. Then after I finish my prawns the freshly made tails are ready to be served on my second plate (without the prawns).;)

Thanks for the tip but there shouldn't have to be a strategy in place when ordering a meal, especially if you are paying an up charge in the Crown Grill.

Thanks for the tip but there shouldn't have to be a strategy in place when ordering a meal, especially if you are paying an up charge in the Crown Grill.

Agreed! It's actually quite ludicrous to consider having to do that. I sure hope Princess execs read these threads and understand that people should not have to strategize in order to thwart quality control issues. Unbelievable!

Absolutely. Especially when you're paying extra to have them cooked to perfection.

No excuse.

Oh it's more than sufficient on most nights but there are certain meals in the DR that I would hate to miss if they were going to start a charge to attend.

I've never been a fan of buffets no matter how good they are. I don't like walking around searching for something decent to eat or walking around searching for somewhere to sit. They're good in a pinch, but not every night. Call me a snob, but on a cruise I want a quiet table and someone to wait on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agree! Same here.