Driving to cape liberty

ranchette

Driving from long island to the pier any detours from the bayonne bridge?

Since the Bayonne bridge often is closed, we typically detour. You can go through Manhattan or via the NJ turnpike..If you have the Waze application on your phone (or similar) , it is a great resource and can provide you with actual up to the minute traffic information.

We will also be travelling to Port of Bayonne in a couple of months.

Have a nice cruise.

The Bayonne Bridge has reopened! We were able to use it for our last cruise in March!

Just check the website to make sure that there won't be a closure on your date/time!

The Bayonne Bridge has reopened! We were able to use it for our last cruise in March!

Just check the website to make sure that there won't be a closure on your date/time!

The bridge was always open at different times. It still closes from 7pm until 5am. The construction will be ongoing until sometime in 2018.

Since the Bayonne bridge often is closed, we typically detour. You can go through Manhattan or via the NJ turnpike..If you have the Waze application on your phone (or similar) , it is a great resource and can provide you with actual up to the minute traffic information.

We will also be travelling to Port of Bayonne in a couple of months.

Have a nice cruise.

Unless you're driving early in the morning on a weekend would never recommend driving through Manhattan. Just too much opportunity for delays.

Now that long term construction on the Staten Island Expressway is over with I've found it to usually be pretty smooth sailing. As others mentioned, the Bayonne Bridge construction has transitioned from daytime to mostly nighttime hours, so hopefully it will be open for you (the Port Authority website posts weekly construction closure info). If not, it's only about 20 minutes from the Goethals Bridge to the pier.

Good luck.

Verrazano Bridge to SI Expressway over the Goethals Bridge to the NJ Turnpike.

That's the way to go.

Enjoy your cruise.

That's the way I would go for sure as you never know about the Bayonne Bridge. Off the Turnpike at Exit 14A.

Another option, depending on where you are on Long Island, it may be easier to take the LI Expressway, B/Q Expressway ,Holland Tunnel and NJ Turnpike South to Bayonne.

I would only consider this if I were leaving on a Saturday or Sunday.

The Bayonne Bridge is so much easier. For the last 3 months the bridge has been open from 5am in the morning until 7pm during the week and on Saturdays it's been open from 8am. Just check the website in the morning. I have friends that come from LI and they haven't had a problem the last 3 cruises coming over the bridge. There are also alert signs posted on the SI expressway if the bridge the bridge is closed, You can then go to the Goethels Bridge and turnpike.

The turnpike has been having backups on and off too, due to construction, My friend got stuck for over an hour just trying to get from exit 14 to 14A in April. If you plan to go that way check the TP website to see if there is any construction scheduled, and plan for extra time.

I get alerts emailed to me every day. (I'm originally from Bayonne and go there at least once a week to see family) I'll post the alert when I get it for Saturday.

That's the way I would go for sure as you never know about the Bayonne Bridge. Off the Turnpike at Exit 14A.

Always check the Port Authority link posted by others above to see if the Bayonne Bridge is closed during the time you are traveling. Since they have now opened part of the new roadway daytime closures are rare.

If you are coming over the Verrazano Bridge you pass the Bayonne Bridge before you get to the Goethals Bridge. There is usually a digital sign announcing if the Bayonne Bridge is closed. No need to directly head to the Goethals Bridge and travel the long way around.

The distance from he SI Expressway exit 9 to Cape Liberty via the Bayonne Bridge is about 7 miles. So it's a pretty quick ride.

If you travel to Cape Liberty via the Goethals Bridge the distance is about 20 miles plus an extra $3 for the turnpike toll. Going this way you also have a great chance on getting stuck in traffic, the road is heavily traveled.

Unless there are high winds or extreme bad weather, the bridge is now open and you'll have a quick run to Cape Liberty.

You can always check the Port Authority's page for alerts: http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.cfm

The bridge is not always open, and it's not always closed just to high winds, they are still doing construction and will be until 2018. It's been closing every weekday night at 7 and reopening in the morning.

From the south shores of Long Island, I would recommend taking the SSP/CIP to the Belt Parkway, weekend morning - traffic is light & generally flow nicely to Bay Ridge for the VZB and over toward NJ ... beach traffic for the shores always a given during the summer months. Aside from possible closure/maintenance for the Bayonne Bridge - you still have Goethals Bridge nearby as alternative, one or the other is usually kept open ... not going to see another *Gate incident again, anytime soon - fingers crossed.

From north shores of LI, one possible route is go over the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge, to I-95 South across the Bronx (yes, done it many times on weekend morning, where traffic flow & fewer 18 wheelers pounding on the left lanes ... yet) as shortcut to M.C.T. / Pier 88 & 90 - then, pickup the NJ Turnpike South to Exit 14, etc.

I would advise NOT taking the LIE to the BQE because that new section Kosciuszko Bridge over Newtown Creek, between Queens & Brooklyn is still not done, just 50% finished with lane closures & switchovers - very, very unpredictable even at midnight, let alone on weekends - crossing into Manhattan on the East River (WBB, MB or BB) is a coin toss & rolling the dice, then, you got traffic lights going across town/Canal Street, etc. before you hit the entrance to Holland Tunnel & then out ... there are still work being done on the Jersey side.

Before putting wheels into gears & Drive mode, double check Google Maps/Navigation and Waze, I highly recommend & use it all the time to plan routes ahead - forecast for next several weekends showing weather ... rain/showers in the forecast, that's mother nature's monkey wrenches ... all it take is a little urban flooding on the Belt Parkway or one of the many entrance/exit ramps and/or a minor fender bender, tow truck & police on scene & all bets are off.

Good luck & happy cruising !

From the south shores of Long Island, I would recommend taking the SSP/CIP to the Belt Parkway, weekend morning - traffic is light & generally flow nicely to Bay Ridge for the VZB and over toward NJ .

Just note on the Verazzano Bridge going Staten Island bound, construction on the cashless toll system (overhead camera/readers) has started in the area slightly before the current toll boths blocking the extreme left lower and extreme right upper lanes that feed the toll booths which may add some time due to construction backups.

After that is up and VZ Bridge is converted to cashless tolls they will be removing the toll booths so more construction.

So far in my biweeklty travels have hit slight delays only under 10 minutes. Something to keep in mind.