Star Princess to Alaska - Need Help Choosing!

Summerprincess

We are looking at taking a cruise to Alaska on the Star Princess this July. I would love anyone who has sailed on the Star Princess, especially in Alaska, to share their experience. Also, we are trying to choose between the itinerary that goes to Hubbard Glacier or the one that goes to College Fjord. The other stops are the same on the itinierary - Anchorage to Vancouver or Vancouver or Anchorage. Thank you very much!:) Oh, and if the Coral Princess would be a much better choice than the Star Princess, please tell me that too! Thank you again!

Last year we did both the Coral and Star in Alaska.

Went Vancouver-Whittier on the Coral and Whittier-Vancouver on the Star. We liked both ships equally. The Coral is a bit smaller.

If this is your first time, you can't go wrong with either. Depending on where you are flying from, you might want to check flight times to see if one routing is better than the other. Usually the southbound cruises cost a little more for some reason.

With the northbound cruise, the anticipation builds before you get to the glaciers with your port stops of Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway coming first then the glacier days.

Going southbound it's just the opposite. Glaciers first then port stops.

Good luck making your decision.

Yes!! The Coral is a much better choice than the Star. ;)

Hi Keith, Thank you for your reply. Would you mind giving me an overview of why you would recommend the Coral so much more than the Star? Thanks again for your help!

Hi Keith, Thank you for your reply. Would you mind giving me an overview of why you would recommend the Coral so much more than the Star? Thanks again for your help!

We have sailed both the Star and the Coral many times.

The biggie for us would be that the Coral has less than 2000 passengers and the Coral is actually longer than the Star.

Only 2 main DR's. Bayou Steakhouse/Sabatini's/Crooners Martini Bar. Forward facing buffet.

International Cafe. @ level Universe Lounge. Forward and aft viewing decks.

Extra wide promenade deck.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

photo-e.jpg

You can't go wrong with either.

We were quite pleased with the Star Princess and we loved College Fjord. Personally I thought the scenery was better than Glacier Bay. The Star was great. Never felt crowded. Great viewing from the open jaw deck 7 and from Deck 14, 15 and 16. The additional space on the bow was also opened during Glacier Bay. I have not been on the Coral, but have been on the Island. I do not think the Star is lacking at all compared to the Coral (IMHO). Plus the elevated Skywalkers is a great place to relax.

I have cruised the Star (southbound) and the Island Princess (northbound) - before it was modified and the back viewing decks were eliminated.

I actually prefer the port times on the southbound and Hubbard Glacier. The Star does have lots of outdoor viewing space and viewing Hubbard Glacier from the open bow viewing area was really fantastic. If you cruise southbound you can do the 26 Glacier Cruise from Whittier into Prince William Sound - before you depart (which I highly recommend). The transfer by train from Anchorage to Whittier is also a plus for me on any southbound sailing.

So, I would pick the one that works best for the date you want. My preference would be southbound though....

We've sailed on both ships and liked both. I'd give the nod to the Star simply because I love the full, open, wraparound promenade deck at the front of the ship. That's my favorite thing about all the Grand class ships.

We have sailed on the Star twice and the Coral three times. We prefer the Coral for all the reasons others have posted. We really love the Bayou Cafe specialty restaurant. The steaks their are the equal of those in the Crown Grill on other ships plus it has Cajun dishes on the menu that we like. The library on the Coral is great is you want a comfortable place to read that has a view. The stage show called "On The Bayou" that is performed on the Coral is our favorite show of any Princess has offered on our 30 or so Princess cruises.

We would prefer a southbound cruise over a northbound one because we would rather do the longest flight before the cruise rather than after.