HAL site - out of business again!

freestyling

I know we discuss the numerous issues with HALs website but I still cant believe how often it is down or not functioning correctly. I really don't understand how and why HAL's IT dept can't get it right or how management continues to give IT "the benefit of the doubt" rather than outsource it's IT's needs.

II really don't understand how and why HAL's IT dept can't get it right or how management continues to give IT "the benefit of the doubt" rather than outsource it's IT's needs.

I figure HAL's IT department has got it just right. They have so thoroughly pimped up the website that it takes a bunch of experienced people to maintain it. It gives job security to the current team as no outsourced company could possibly figure out what the heck is going on with the site.

There are so many easy to use websites that would allow me to find and book any cruise on almost any line plus hotels, flights, rental cars, and all inclusive resorts that you would think HAL's management would figure out that HAL is doing it all wrong. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Sadly, cruise line web site issues are not unique to HAL. See., e.g., this current and very active thread in the Celebrity forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2499237

Celebrity has just launched a new web site that is a total mess.

Not sure why these major business entities can't get this stuff right.

Let's not forget what happened at the end of last year. Here's just one link, there are many, many others. All sorts of problems since then -- but I don't read the other lines' boards so I don't know if the problems are corporate-wide, or just ours.

http://www.investopedia.com/news/carnivals-strange-job-transfer-situation-ccl/

Let's not forget what happened at the end of last year. Here's just one link, there are many, many others. All sorts of problems since then -- but I don't read the other lines' boards so I don't know if the problems are corporate-wide, or just ours.

http://www.investopedia.com/news/carnivals-strange-job-transfer-situation-ccl/

I knew CCL outsourced the tech for the new wearable technology...Ocean Medallian but was unaware of the other outsourcing. Thanks for attaching the link.

We have found a vast difference between Carnival subs. We find the Princess site far superior to the HAL site in both performance and design. It has always been that way.

HAL seems to be so far behind the curve from an IT perspective-both corporate and on board IT systems. Not certain why this has been the case for so many years. I put it down to incompetence at the leadership team level.

You don't have to a management genius to understand the marketing and sales advantages of having functional, let alone state of the art, IT systems. Web and on board.

I thought I had read here on CC that the HAL web site maintenance (not all of IT) in Seattle got folded into Princess web dev in California and not CCL in Miami. Seattle is a tech rich environment, especially web development, but all the talent gets sucked up by the big players like Amazon and Microsoft. Many companies can't compete locally so send their IT and web development elsewhere.