Oasis of the Seas Incident

Just off the Oasis 5/28 Eastern. I don't know if this is related to either the deck 7 or deck 8 incidents. On Thursday we watched the crew prepare the ship to leave St Maarten. All aboard was 4:30 pm. Around 4:30 a cart drove up to the forward deck exit and 2-3 people brought there luggage off the ship and onto the cart. The people then left the cart and got back on the ship. We continued to watch until close to 5 and the cart and luggage were still there and the people had not come back out yet. We then went to dinner and the captain announced that there would be a delay leaving as there was a mechanical problem they were working on.

No kidding! Some people just can't wait to post snarky comments and seem to at every opportunity. It seems perfectly reasonable that someone on cruise critic might know whats going on. There might be others on Oasis that could post information or details. I would probably have done the same thing if I were onboard and looking for more information.

That's the reason so many people start out posts with, "Flame me if you must" or " I searched already and didn't find an existing thread"

A ship is never completely sold out. A certain number of cabins are left vacant in the event that parties need to be separated or for some other unforeseen emergency (Cabin flooded etc.) where someone has to be moved.

I have asked officers on the ship if this is true and I have been told it is not. The cruise line will not leave a cabin unsold "just in case". In fact, cruise lines (like the airlines) will over sell their ships. The difference is the cruise lines handle an oversold ship before embarkation day.

Just off the Oasis 5/28 Eastern. I don't know if this is related to either the deck 7 or deck 8 incidents. On Thursday we watched the crew prepare the ship to leave St Maarten. All aboard was 4:30 pm. Around 4:30 a cart drove up to the forward deck exit and 2-3 people brought there luggage off the ship and onto the cart. The people then left the cart and got back on the ship. We continued to watch until close to 5 and the cart and luggage were still there and the people had not come back out yet. We then went to dinner and the captain announced that there would be a delay leaving as there was a mechanical problem they were working on.

was there a deck 7 incident as well or is this exclusively deck 8? we are staying on deck 7 next week and would prefer not to stay in a horror story cabin or near it. :(

I have asked officers on the ship if this is true and I have been told it is not. The cruise line will not leave a cabin unsold "just in case". In fact, cruise lines (like the airlines) will over sell their ships. The difference is the cruise lines handle an oversold ship before embarkation day.

Interesting, I have often wondered about this. If a cruise is oversold, I wonder how far in advance the booted passengers are informed? I'm sure they're given generous compensation (I would hope so) but having your vacation pulled out from under you would be awful.

FYI you don't have to say "watching" or post in the thread just so you get updates. Just go up to the thread tools and subscribe.

Second, a cruise would not be deliberately oversold. It's not like an airline where they can just bump you to the next flight. Personal experience here, part of our party once had to be moved to another room and the only way they could do it was to wait until end day 2 when they could be sure the people in another room who hadn't shown up day 1 were not going to join us on day 2. That was the only room they had. (Not to say they don't have a spare room or two for emergencies, but I suspect they wouldn't be the best).

Third and more on topic, if anything further becomes of this, I'm sure it will be in the CC news. If not it will be in a certain "law" website related to cruising whose name I don't think we can mention here.

we are staying on deck 7 next week and would prefer not to stay in a horror story cabin or near it. :(

Considering that the ship is now 8 years old, there's bound to be a horror story in just about every cabin.;):eek:

I have read many times here where someone has had some sort of issue with their cabin, asked to be moved to another cabin and were told no cabins available

Interesting, I have often wondered about this. If a cruise is oversold, I wonder how far in advance the booted passengers are informed? I'm sure they're given generous compensation (I would hope so) but having your vacation pulled out from under you would be awful.

There have been numerous threads surrounding this, even some recently. Some people are getting calls on the way to the port to board the ship!

I seem to recall that the Oasis has a morgue.... I hope it wasn't needed.

All ships have morgues, back in the day when you got a ships tour you got to check it out. You can google how many people die on a particular sailing , theres a website. Most on any cruise i was on was 4

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

FYI you don't have to say "watching" or post in the thread just so you get updates. Just go up to the thread tools and subscribe.

Second, a cruise would not be deliberately oversold. It's not like an airline where they can just bump you to the next flight. Personal experience here, part of our party once had to be moved to another room and the only way they could do it was to wait until end day 2 when they could be sure the people in another room who hadn't shown up day 1 were not going to join us on day 2. That was the only room they had. (Not to say they don't have a spare room or two for emergencies, but I suspect they wouldn't be the best).

Third and more on topic, if anything further becomes of this, I'm sure it will be in the CC news. If not it will be in a certain "law" website related to cruising whose name I don't think we can mention here.

Following

Just kidding.

I usually reply with "following what"

I always wondered why they dont just subscribe to the post rather than type following.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

When a cruise line has oversold its ship, it starts making offers to the passengers to move to another sailing. The cruise line will know after final payments are made if the ship was oversold. Those in the guarantee bookings are where you will find the extra passengers. The move offers are usually made to passengers that don't have to fly, and yes, some sort of incentive is offered.

Here is a link to a very recent thread where the OP was made an offer to change his cruise ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2503500&highlight=oversold

Here is another example, though this one is one year old ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2366445&highlight=oversold

Here is another recent one in which the OP is not very happy ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2480927&highlight=oversold

And another recent one where the OP is being asked to move to a different cruise ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2498486&highlight=oversold

So yes, cruises do get oversold.

Maybe bc CC seems to be the source of so many answers in the past, couldn't hurt to try.

I'm sure the OP regrets it after some of the follow up comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some people are just arrogant.

I just got home from the Oasis and was on the 8th floor, about 8 doors down from the door that was padlocked. I took a picture of it because at the time I found it to be extremely odd. I don't know exactly what happened, but wanted to add facts that have not been mentioned here to add to the sleuthing.

-We stayed on the Starboard side, Deck 8 aft, with views of the Boardwalk. 8 doors down from the incident cabin. Not sharing the cabin number only because I'm not sure I'm allowed to.

-I believe it was Thursday we observed Security speaking to a woman in the hallway near the incidenct cabin where she was telling them that a guy (I think in her cabin) was acting odd because of the medication he takes and that he was going to be ok.

-A few days earlier we observed Security sitting with a chair in front of a door on deck 14 for 2+ days. When we asked our Stateroom attendant about it, he said that's usually indicative of a domestic situation rather than say, quarantine.

-On Friday, a sea day, we were at the pool in the afternoon and heard an "alpha alpha alpha" call for deck 8, but not for the same room that had the padlock. The call was for 2 doors down. We were not in the hallway when it was evidently locked down.

-Later that afternoon when we came back from the pool (after the alpha call) we observed four Security team members putting the padlock on the room. After that, we saw a crew member with a "Front Desk Manager" tag checking out the hallway and the room (from the outside).

-Things were mostly quiet the rest of the trip. That cabin and the few surrounding it did not have any coming and going activity. Previously, I had seen individuals - I thought I had seen younger folks (early 20s?)

-I asked our steward if he knew what was up with the padlock and the alpha call, but he was coy. So kudos to him for privacy protection.

-This AM when bills were left with each room, there was a "Medical Services bill" left on the door when I left for the final breakfast, and it was gone when I returned to clean out my cabin. This suggests the occupant of the cabin was traveling in a party.

-On the shuttle to Park n Cruise, folks noted an ambulance arrived immediately when we reached Port Canaveral, but I did not see or hear any police or other investigation going into the room. We left for good at approximately 7:00 AM.

I concur with thespeculation that something bad happened in the room that required it to be preserved. My best guess at the time was either a sexual assault or domestic violence incident. In the latter case, I was racking my brain how you would handle the logistics of allocating people to other cabins on a sold out ship after that happens. So, I can certainly see the potential of a death as well, but I did not hear any rumors of that until I read this post.

Are the doctors able to determine cause of death on a ship? I imagine not, and any determination would have to be performed by a coroner when the ship returned, meaning the cabin would need to be sealed regardless...