Gala nights

suesinger

For most people it is just another smart casual night.

HAL no longer requires men to wear a jacket and a tie on Gala nights -- slacks and a collared shirt will do. And that applies to the specialty restaurants as well.

Ladies wear nice slacks or skirts with a fancy top or a dress.

Each cruise is different but there are still many that choose to be dressy. On our January Caribbean cruise there were many tuxes and even full length gowns. It was like going back in time ten years and surprising.

As mentioned on previous post the minimum will work.

January was a exception and maybe our next cruise will be the same. You never know.

Dress up or do the minimum. Either will work.

Each cruise is different but there are still many that choose to be dressy. On our January Caribbean cruise there were many tuxes and even full length gowns. It was like going back in time ten years and surprising.

As mentioned on previous post the minimum will work.

January was a exception and maybe our next cruise will be the same. You never know.

Dress up or do the minimum. Either will work.

We do not care what other do, my dh will take his tux and dinner jackets for sure... and I dress up too... makes our ev ening special... after 30 years of crusing would not do any other way.

We do not care what other do, my dh will take his tux and dinner jackets for sure... and I dress up too... makes our ev ening special... after 30 years of crusing would not do any other way.

That's awesome! Good for both of you! I loved wearing beaded gowns for formal nights on our first few cruises as well! The more relaxed dress we've noticed as of late has made me less inclined to pack my best gowns but we always wear nicer attire on formal night. Your post makes me excited about pulling out some of those older overlooked gowns in my closet for our upcoming sailings! Happy cruising! ☺

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For most people it is just another smart casual night.

HAL no longer requires men to wear a jacket and a tie on Gala nights -- slacks and a collared shirt will do. And that applies to the specialty restaurants as well.

Ladies wear nice slacks or skirts with a fancy top or a dress.

KK said it perfectly!!!!

Enjoy your cruise.

Denise:)

Cruised a few weeks ago--jacket for man was required for some but not others(HAL supplied)--no rhyme or reason

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Interesting observation. I see on your countdown clock you were on the Zaandam. Was that the ship where this occurred?

I prefer to continue the tradition of wearing a tux on Gala nights, and my wife will wear a fancy dress. We have observed that although in a minority, formal wear is more prevalent on longer cruises.

I prefer to continue the tradition of wearing a tux on Gala nights, and my wife will wear a fancy dress. We have observed that although in a minority, formal wear is more prevalent on longer cruises.

No facts to back up my perception, but it seems "late" fixed upper dining room - the 8pm slot - tends to be more traditional too. We like these more traditional cruise customs too. Nice that it has been retained for those who still enjoy this option.

"Black tie optional" is the way Crystal cruise handles this now and that seems like a good way to set the tone for that night on HAL ships too. Encouraged, but not mandatory.