MDR dinner menus displayed and steak questions

39august

Are the MDR dinner menus displayed somewhere each day, and which night is steak, filet, typically offered, please? We will be on a 9 night cruise on Silhoutte. Also, does Celebrity have a ",lobster night"?

MDR menus are displayed outside the dining room each day. Lobster tails are served on the last chic night of the cruise.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using Tapatalk

There are three items which are on the everyday menu, steak, chicken and a salmon dish. Also, someone had reported awhile ago that the menus are now on the TV also, can't confirm that.

The lobster served is warm water lobster. For lobster lovers who are used to the great cold water lobsters of North America,it's disappointing. But the ones served on the ship are acceptable.

As for the steak,it's not something we order. We always order the prime rib when it's offered and we've never been disappointed.

Yes, you will have lobster tail as a choice on the last Chic night. They are small. Order two. They can be good or very disappointing.

Check on the menu posted outside the dining room each afternoon to see what is being served.

Personally, I love the salmon. It is grilled to perfection.

Anyhow, you should like your dinners. If the menu doesn't appear to have good choices one or two nights, go to the Oceanview Buffet and have steak, fish, or chicken fresh grilled. Sit at an outside table and enjoy a great evening.

No, the MDR is only open for lunch on sea days. No reservations are required for lunch on those days, just show up during the hours of operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you !

When we were on the 7 nights cruise, I don't remember seeing filet mignon on the adult menu in MDR. The always available New York Sirloin Steak (Timeless Entrees) and the steak of the day tasted about the same. I had the New York Steak 3 of the 7 nights. If I know they have filet mignon on the kid's menu, I would have tried it. :p

The buffet has a thin steak at lunch time. It is actually pretty good.

And there is only one lobster night. The captain told us they served over 3000 lobster tails on lobster night. It is a small lobster tail served with some rice and 1 large broccoli.

So, is there no filet ever offered in the MDR? Not interested in the always available type of steak. I just saw a children's menu posted and a small filet is on that menu every night!

Does it specify filet mignon though? If it just says filet, it is probably a slice of sirloin.

I would avoid the steak and the lobster as the quality is very poor.

If you want any near decent you need to visit one of the specialty restaurants. MDR food quality is not the best so don't build your expectations too high because you will be disappointed.

During a food program in Tuscan Grill on the Summit last fall, the Chef described the different cuts of beef used in the various venues. The thinnest cut is in the buffet followed by the MDR and then the Specialty restaurants.

The better grades of beef are also reserved for the paid venues. Some cuts even require an additional charge on top of the Specialty restaurant dining charge on top of the MDR fee you paid included in the cruise fare. :D

During a food program in Tuscan Grill on the Summit last fall, the Chef described the different cuts of beef used in the various venues. The thinnest cut is in the buffet followed by the MDR and then the Specialty restaurants.

The better grades of beef are also reserved for the paid venues. Some cuts even require an additional charge on top of the Specialty restaurant dining charge on top of the MDR fee you paid included in the cruise fare. :D

A 3rd charge/fee for a super duper high end steak?!

On Tuscan Grille menu. These charges are additional to the Specialty restaurant charge. This is special specialty. ;p

Tuscan%20extra%20charge_zpsopuzzxio.jpg

Based on paying $30 for dinner at Speciality Restaurant, and adding $16 for 16 oz, and then attributing some amount for the MDR dinner, I will use $20, that would be a $66 meal and of course there is the expectation of an additional tip otherwise why is there a line for it if it is included and at least not hoping for more money from us, so we add $6 more bucks to get $72. This for, in theory, a really nice steak dinner.

Getting rid of the MDR allocation, puts you back to $52. A little more than nickel and diming. Not sure I would try the extra fee steak in the extra fee restaurant on the cruise I have already paid for my dinner in theory. :)

I guess if we are willing to pay, they are willing to accept our money! :rolleyes:

Based on paying $30 for dinner at Speciality Restaurant, and adding $16 for 16 oz, and then attributing some amount for the MDR dinner, I will use $20, that would be a $66 meal and of course there is the expectation of an additional tip otherwise why is there a line for it if it is included and at least not hoping for more money from us, so we add $6 more bucks to get $72. This for, in theory, a really nice steak dinner.

Getting rid of the MDR allocation, puts you back to $52. A little more than nickel and diming. Not sure I would try the extra fee steak in the extra fee restaurant on the cruise I have already paid for my dinner in theory. :)

I guess if we are willing to pay, they are willing to accept our money! :rolleyes:

Those are actually reasonable prices for dry aged prime. Ordering such at a steakhouse in an urban area is going to cost about $65 to $70 - and that is just for the steak, no sides, no appetizers, no salad, no dessert, no gratuity or tax. Celebrity would not be able to offer the option of dry aged prime without a surcharge beyond the normal specialty restaurant fee. The wholesale price for dry aged prime is high, so they would be losing money on it otherwise. The problem I had was when I ordered the prime dry aged porterhouse on Summit they overcooked it. If steak is cooked much past medium rare it loses the special characteristics a properly cooked prime dry aged steak has and one might as well have just ordered a lower grade cut of beef.

Why do people upgrade their cabin? Because they believe it will enhance their holiday. Why upgrade to premium economy when flying, same reason. The same applies to choosing to dine in Murano or Tuscan. Glad we have the choice but it does not explain why Celebrity continue to downgrade the MDR, to me their have cut the standards to an unacceptable level.