Shore tours

Peanutz24

There are no guarantees when it comes to cruising. Ports get canceled due to weather, safety, or other factors; can end up docking late or leaving early for a variety of reasons. We generally book tours independently and prefer to book tours you pay in cash upon arrival so if we miss it we aren't out anything. There's no 'best', just what works best for you. In my experience independent tours are bette tours for last money but some people prefer to security if the cruise ship excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Usually passengers booked on ship excursions debark the ship before everyone else. You will be directed to a meeting place on board and then move as a group to your tour bus.

If this is your first cruise it's a good idea to book with the cruise line. If the tour is late returning to port the ship will wait for you. If you return late on your own the ship will not wait.

We have done many cruise line tours and enjoyef them all. Do some research. There are some ports that can easily be explored on foot. You can enjoy a nice combination of both ship tours and touring by yourself.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

Usually passengers booked on ship excursions debark the ship before everyone else.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

Errrr, no, Jonathan.

At most ports there's no pecking-order for disembarkation - when the gangway is open anyone and everyone can disembark. Often a long queue forms, impatient passengers ready to disembark as soon as the gangway is open, but after that initial rush it's quick and easy. Even if you don't join the queue you'll be off the ship about 20/25 minutes after the gangway has opened.

The only exception is at ports where the ship doesn't berth - instead it moors offshore and passengers are tendered ashore in small boats (sometimes they're ship's own tenders, sometimes they're contracted local boats). Those on ship's own excursions get priority for tenders when disembarking. Tender ports are normally noted on itineraries as something like "ashore by tender", or marked with an anchor icon.

Yes, with ships' tours if the tour is delayed in returning to the ship it will wait, because getting you back is the ship's responsibility. But the risk of missing the sailing is grossly exaggerated by cruise lines, in order to sell their over-priced tours.

Since the routine is very similar for all ships, the Ports of Call forums are a better source of information and advice than the P&O forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=5

You don't mention where you're cruising, but as a general rule

- the Caribbean is very easy to DIY by negotiating with taxis & minibuses at the pier. Minibuses charge a price per person (in US dollars) and drivers organise sharing with others from your ship. Drivers are friendly and trustworthy, they know their island and they know the importance of "back-on-board" time. They can replicate ships' tours for about a quarter to a third of ships' excursion prices (though that's transport only, no food or drink or admission charges included) or suggest alternatives. Take your beach gear if you want to be dropped at a beach at the end of the tour.. Much the same in many Asian and South American ports.

- In most European ports you can use public transport - trains, local buses, metro, hop-on buses, ferries etc, again for a fraction of ships' excursion prices. Or fix a private or shared tour in advance. But negotiating a tour with taxis at the ports is a very very expensive business, and pot-luck on the quality, so hail a taxi at the port only for a short A to B hop such as to the train station. Needs more research (transport options etc) than the Caribbean but just as feasible.

We use ships' excursions only in very specific circumstances

- when the destination is more an hour or two from the port, time in port is limited, and local transportation is unreliable

- and for group activity excursions like snorkelling from a catamaran or zip-lining, which are difficult or impossible to fix up on-the-fly.

Whether to DIY also depends on your own attitude. Some are very wary everywhere and use ship's excursions, some are more adventurous and either DIY or book independent tours everywhere, most will choose according to the individual port and what they want to see / do.

We can be more specific if you quote your ports and the make-up of your party (eg two adults & two teens, or mature couple, or a person with limited mobility).

For a Brit, P&O is the ideal line for a first cruise. You have lots to learn about cruising, but much will be very familiar - food, ship's currency etc. Sailing a US or Italian ship is fun but involves a few pitfalls for the unwary - mebbe try one once you've experienced your first cruise.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Errrr, no, Jonathan.

At most ports there's no pecking-order for disembarkation - ....

JB :)

Yes, that's quite true JB, but, my point was that if you book an excursion you will definitely get off of the ship in time provided you show up at the meeting spot in a prompt fashion.

Jonathan

And remember, RESEARCH on your ports (a guidebook is a great resource) is a must if you will DIY..the more you know about the places you visit, the better. There is seldom a need to do ship's excursions, but you do need to do your own research if you are going to DIY!

For P&O tours, you meet your group off the ship, on the pier. There's no meeting up inside the ship.

Check the tours being offered, then look on here to see whether you can find your own way.

The cruise tours will show how much walking, steps, visiting time etc allowed, and generally give a feel for the area.

I personally always prefer to book independent tours from reputable companies because I find their prices to be better, the tours less crowded, and they usually have better tours to begin with.

However, if we are talking about traveling a far distance, like when you visit the ruins on mainland Mexico and have to take a ferry to the mainland from Cozumel, I always book through the cruise line because I don't want to risk missing the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I checked your posts, and you're with P&O Australia... there's a forum for Aus and NZ on here, if you scroll down the index... people on there might have done the same Pacific cruise.

Have a wonderful time! :)