Need Advice on Different Routes Traveled on Alaska Cruises

MsSoCalCruiser

I have a question that's a bit different than any I've seen or asked.

I've noticed on the Maps for the different Alaskan cruises that some routes swing out into the Alaskan ocean and others look like they stay inside of the Inside Passage. The only alaskan cruise I've done to date has been the round-trip Seattle cruise and we had some rough seas to the point where I was a little bit seasick.

We might be bringing a newbie on our next trip so I'm wondering if you have cruised the different routes did anyone appeared to be smoother than the others (not because of ocean conditions but because of the area traveled through)?

Once again, your comments and advice are much appreciated. Thank you!

Your inside passage voyages (usually from Vancouver) are much calmer. Unfortunately, they only do one way passages (Vancouver to Whittier/Whittier to Vancouver). The good is that the smaller ships like the Coral Princess make this run. Given a choice...I would do the inside passage with Glacier Bay.

Your inside passage voyages (usually from Vancouver) are much calmer. Unfortunately, they only do one way passages (Vancouver to Whittier/Whittier to Vancouver). The good is that the smaller ships like the Coral Princess make this run. Given a choice...I would do the inside passage with Glacier Bay.

Do you mean the Vancouver, one-way, with inside passage and Glacier Bay? My round-trip Seattle said that it was the inside passage with Glacier Bay but it looks like it wasn't in the passage very long.

Do you mean the Vancouver, one-way, with inside passage and Glacier Bay? My round-trip Seattle said that it was the inside passage with Glacier Bay but it looks like it wasn't in the passage very long.

"Inside Passage with Glacier Bay" is the name of the itinerary as assigned by Princess.

But as your examination of the map reveals the ship never actually sails on the true inside passage between Vancouver Island and mainland British Columbia. To do that you need to take the itinerary that Princess has named "Voyage of the Glaciers". Now isn't that simple :confused:

"Inside Passage with Glacier Bay" is the name of the itinerary as assigned by Princess.

But as your examination of the map reveals the ship never actually sails on the true inside passage between Vancouver Island and mainland British Columbia. To do that you need to take the itinerary that Princess has named "Voyage of the Glaciers". Now isn't that simple :confused:

LOL. Thank you for explaining that to me. For me, that was extremely confusing but now it's making sense. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In this case, believe they consider the route from half a day before Ketchikan to Skagway/Glacier Bay and back to be 'inside passage, because it really is. But if you choose to do the one way to/from Vancouver you will be crossing the north edge of the Gulf of Alaska, which can also have rougher seas. EM

If you have the choice, do the one-way cruise. You see two glacier areas instead of just one and you get the whole inside passage. I'm so glad we did that route. The northbound route is usually cheaper if you're looking to be price conscious. From OC, the flights were better for us if we did the southbound route.

The true inside passage is generally going to be smoother, as it is more sheltered, but storms can pop up and produce rougher seas anywhere. Honestly, you might want to explore the range of remedies for mal de mer and be prepared, as it can get less than smooth in unexpected places. When we travel with newbies, for whom we feel responsible, we make sure to carry a few items that might help them if they do begin to suffer, in case they haven't heeded our warnings to be prepared.

My husband and I do just not have a problem at all, we like knowing we are at sea, but my poor niece is so sensitive she just cannot cruise and find it at all enjoyable. So, do go prepared....hoping you won't have a problem this coming cruise. Oh, and some seasoned cruisers are so addicted to cruising they do so despite their sensitivities, for months at a time sometimes.

It's my understanding that speeds are limited in the Inside Passage and, to make the round trip cruise from Seattle, ships need to sail in open water at higher speeds to make the schedule. The Inside Passage cruise from Vancouver doesn't need to stop at Victoria to satisfy the PSVA and can remain in the Inside Passage for most of the cruise.

The Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary also has sufficient time to to stay in the Inside Passage from Vancouver until after Glacier Bay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

We were on the Emerald in May - Round trip inside passage from Vancouver. It may have been the only one of the season, but that is the reason we took it.

Pals also just returned from the "Inside Passage with Glacier Bay" on the Emerald. They selected it for their first cruise because it gave them the opportunity to experience the splendid inside passage, Glacier Bay AND fly in/out of Vancouver. Having cruised out of Seattle and Vancouver, I'd go with Vancouver (B2B if you can swing it) for the terrific scenic sailing.

While MOST Princess cruises to Alaska from Vancouver are the one ways, I think this is the third year in a row that they have scheduled 2 to 4 round trips from Vancouver at the beginning of the season (this year at both the beginning and the end of the season) so you can get a round trip from Vancouver on Princess still. In some prior years Princess has had a ship doing round trips all season long but not lately.

As for "Inside Passage" I too see them (and other cruise lines as well) calling cruises from Seattle up the west coast of Vancouver Island "Inside Passage" which is rediculous. I think it is a case of the usual Alaska stops being between islands or they are islands which (barely) qualifies them to brand it as "Inside Passage". From Vancouver all cruises do go between Vancouver Island and the mainland which is much more scenic but the vast majority of these still don't do what was traditionally the "Inside Passage". They can and have in the past travelled in behind many more islands and through fjords all the way up the BC coast that are what was traditionally known as the Inside Passage.

A year or two ago someone here said how they always do two (B2B) Alaska cruises out of Seattle each summer and I had to bite my tongue to not ask why on earth he wouldn't do the N bound and S bound as a B2B from Vancouver instead if he has two weeks available. Slightly easier out of a Seattle if he lives in the USA but miss out on all the extra Glaciers, seeing a lot more of Alaska much further Northwest and much more of the Inside Passage both ways!

That was our last cruise to Alaska but a bit more of a no brainer since we live in Vancouver.

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector

It's been discussed.... there are TWO inside passages.

• The Northern Alaskan segment that nearly every ship goes through for Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. A lot of cruise description is describing this segment.
  • The Southern Canadian segment that gets you into Vancouver and rewards cruisers with calm waters.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Passage

I get a chuckle now when I see some cruise lines advertise Tracy Arm.... however they never enter the 31 mile Fjord. It's a short service call to let passengers go on a sold out excursion. My HAL ship just went straight to Juneau.

Then there's the early season cruisers who think they are going to Tracy Arm.... but go up Endicott instead.... but getting confused which arm they are in.

In this case, believe they consider the route from half a day before Ketchikan to Skagway/Glacier Bay and back to be 'inside passage, because it really is. But if you choose to do the one way to/from Vancouver you will be crossing the north edge of the Gulf of Alaska, which can also have rougher seas. EM

It sounds like every route has its own areas that may be rough. I guess there's no way to totally avoid rough seas.

If you have the choice, do the one-way cruise. You see two glacier areas instead of just one and you get the whole inside passage. I'm so glad we did that route. The northbound route is usually cheaper if you're looking to be price conscious. From OC, the flights were better for us if we did the southbound route.

I really hope we do the one-way cruise. First my friends need to decide if they want to do the land tour. If they do then we would need to do the southbound route. If they don't do the land tour then they would probably want to do the northbound. And yes, price is a factor in our decisions.

The true inside passage is generally going to be smoother, as it is more sheltered, but storms can pop up and produce rougher seas anywhere. Honestly, you might want to explore the range of remedies for mal de mer and be prepared, as it can get less than smooth in unexpected places. When we travel with newbies, for whom we feel responsible, we make sure to carry a few items that might help them if they do begin to suffer, in case they haven't heeded our warnings to be prepared.

My husband and I do just not have a problem at all, we like knowing we are at sea, but my poor niece is so sensitive she just cannot cruise and find it at all enjoyable. So, do go prepared....hoping you won't have a problem this coming cruise. Oh, and some seasoned cruisers are so addicted to cruising they do so despite their sensitivities, for months at a time sometimes.

We sound a lot alike. I always take care of the ones I love. I carry anything and everything in case my friends or I may need it. They always laugh at me for packing so much but then they are so happy when they need something out of my medicine chest.

I feel bad for your niece. I've only been sick twice. Once when hurricane Norbert was in the area and the second time was on my one and only Alaskan cruise. I woke up in rough seas feeling nauseated. I laid there and I probably would've been OK but then the man next-door got sick and I heard him.... That did it :(

It's my understanding that speeds are limited in the Inside Passage and, to make the round trip cruise from Seattle, ships need to sail in open water at higher speeds to make the schedule. The Inside Passage cruise from Vancouver doesn't need to stop at Victoria to satisfy the PSVA and can remain in the Inside Passage for most of the cruise.

The Voyage of the Glaciers itinerary also has sufficient time to to stay in the Inside Passage from Vancouver until after Glacier Bay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello! This makes sense. I wondered why those itineraries did not stop at Victoria. The Voyage of the Glaciers sounds wonderful.

Pals also just returned from the "Inside Passage with Glacier Bay" on the Emerald. They selected it for their first cruise because it gave them the opportunity to experience the splendid inside passage, Glacier Bay AND fly in/out of Vancouver. Having cruised out of Seattle and Vancouver, I'd go with Vancouver (B2B if you can swing it) for the terrific scenic sailing.

I'm not sure if we could swing it or not but I would love to do a B2B out of Vancouver!

It's been discussed.... there are TWO inside passages.

• The Northern Alaskan segment that nearly every ship goes through for Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. A lot of cruise description is describing this segment.
  • The Southern Canadian segment that gets you into Vancouver and rewards cruisers with calm waters.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Passage

I get a chuckle now when I see some cruise lines advertise Tracy Arm.... however they never enter the 31 mile Fjord. It's a short service call to let passengers go on a sold out excursion. My HAL ship just went straight to Juneau.

Then there's the early season cruisers who think they are going to Tracy Arm.... but go up Endicott instead.... but getting confused which arm they are in.

Thank you for posting this link. I had no idea that the Inside Passage was so large!

From Vancouver all cruises do go between Vancouver Island and the mainland which is much more scenic but the vast majority of these still don't do what was traditionally the "Inside Passage". They can and have in the past travelled in behind many more islands and through fjords all the way up the BC coast that are what was traditionally known as the Inside Passage.

Do you think they still do this???

I don't think so. Today's ships are too big for the middle section past Bella Bella and up the Grenville Channel. Today people call ships like Coral Princess small but compared to years ago, they are huge.

Our first Alaska cruise was in 1993 on Sky Princess. Sky was a 1,200 passenger ship - mid-sized in a day when most ships were in the 600 to 2,000 passenger range. We were inside the whole sea day between Vancouver and Ketchikan.

We did the same itinerary again in 2001 on Dawn Princess. After passing through Seymour Narrows (north end of Vancouver Island) very early the first morning, we spend that sea day outside on the ocean until the middle of the night when we started the approach to Ketchikan.

I don't think so. Today's ships are too big for the middle section past Bella Bella and up the Grenville Channel. Today people call ships like Coral Princess small but compared to years ago, they are huge.

I don't think this has to do with the size of the ships. A few years ago, Princess did round trip Alaska cruises out of Vancouver on one of the small ships (Pacific Princess, I believe) and even it avoided the middle section of the Inside Passage, through Grenville Channel, etc. On the other hand, I've seen a photoblog on line showing Celebrity Millennium going through the Grenville Channel - and it's a bigger ship than the Island or Coral. Grenville channel is about 400 meters (roughly 1300') wide at its narrowest point.

I'm not sure why Princess doesn't do this route, but it is a shame since the scenery is stunning, having done this route on a ferry.