Back from Breakaway

BostonGal35

I'll be doing my full review at some point this week, but three key points:

1. We are platinum and asked for the concierge #. Guest services did not want to give us this number. After repeatedly going back and forth with the person who tried to say we werent entitled to the benefit, and us then quoting the latitudes program, then finally asking to speak with a manager, we were told we'd get a call back. 10 minutes later, the man from teh Cruise Next Desk called us with the number. We talked to Anoop with our one request which he accommodated and then told us to call if we needed anything else.

2. The Cirque show while still great, has changed in format. They now rush you thru the 3 courses in about 20 minutes so that they are done serving before the show starts. Sorta defeats the idea of "dinner theater".

3. I talked to a lady in the Haven who also said the Haven was a mob scene and there were frequently no loungers available. She suspects its because they now fill every Haven room via the Upgrade DISAdvantage program.

This was our 3rd time on BA. The first 2 times were much better. We felt the crowds for sure as the first 2 times we had the Vibe and Spa to escape to.

NCL has ALWAYS filled the Havens and Suites on their ships. They always used the upsell department with manual upgrades and emailed offers to fill suite rooms. Upgrade advantage just automated the process, somewhat.

The Havens sundeck was its normal, crowded self. Nothing unusual with the number of people there.

For the Cirque show, we went on Sunday and seating started around 6:30. Dinner was served from 6:45-7:45 (all three courses and coffees). 1 hour for a comfortable, nonrushed meal. Show started around 7:45 running for 40 minutes. No more "intermission" for dessert. I believe the total performance time was the same as before, just avoids the interruption/intermission.

During dinner, animals and plants periodically wander through the dining room for dining entertainment/distraction. Lot of folks anxious to take pictures with them (personal photos and ships's photographer).

As far as the ship, it was a holiday weekend with lots of people. Most cruises for the last month have been running at capacity (around 4000 passengers). Last week's cruise was well over capacity.

Breakaway Capacity 3963

Last week total passengers 4764

Total US 4379

Total Non-US 394

Total Crew 1627

1-10 years old 200

11-20 years old 476

21-50 years old 2023

51-70 years old 1496

71+ years old 382

Average Age 42.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was surprised to see as many kids on board (parents would only need to pull them out for 4 days, but still). interesting figures on the stats. so how does that work? If capacity is 3963, then how can they have more than that on there?

im guessing they changed Cirque because i know many complained about missing the show while they ate. we still liked it, but would probably not go again, at least on BA. if we do end up on GA next year, i guess their show will be new?

I'll be doing my full review at some point this week, but three key points:

1. We are platinum and asked for the concierge #. Guest services did not want to give us this number. After repeatedly going back and forth with the person who tried to say we werent entitled to the benefit, and us then quoting the latitudes program, then finally asking to speak with a manager, we were told we'd get a call back. 10 minutes later, the man from teh Cruise Next Desk called us with the number. We talked to Anoop with our one request which he accommodated and then told us to call if we needed anything else.

2. The Cirque show while still great, has changed in format. They now rush you thru the 3 courses in about 20 minutes so that they are done serving before the show starts. Sorta defeats the idea of "dinner theater".

3. I talked to a lady in the Haven who also said the Haven was a mob scene and there were frequently no loungers available. She suspects its because they now fill every Haven room via the Upgrade DISAdvantage program.

This was our 3rd time on BA. The first 2 times were much better. We felt the crowds for sure as the first 2 times we had the Vibe and Spa to escape to.

We are Platinum Plus sailing in a Haven suite on the Breakaway in a few weeks. I have a couple of questions for the Concierge that I would love to get answers to before we board. I've been contemplating calling the 800 number on our Haven Welcome Letter but from posts that I've read on here the customer service is lacking and they rarely follow through on special requests.

So my question is, were you able to actually verbally reach Anoop on the ship before your cruise to talk to him?

Thanks for any help! :)

I'm also curious about running over capacity. Isn't that kind of the point of "capacity"? That should be the maximum allowed on the ship. The numbers you quoted have the ship 20% over capacity, which is a lot, IMO.

It's not necessarily running over capacity..the capacity at 2 persons per cabin is typically quoted.

I'm also curious about running over capacity. Isn't that kind of the point of "capacity"? That should be the maximum allowed on the ship. The numbers you quoted have the ship 20% over capacity, which is a lot, IMO.

Breakaway can hold over 5,000 passengers.

i did not have the concierge number ahead, as i was not a suite guest.

there was also no letter in my room upon arrival as a platinum guest with this information. i had read on here that it was mixed - seems the smaller ships often provide it to the Plats, but the larger ones dont. so i wasnt entirely surprised to get the push back, but we pushed back harder and got it.

ive stayed in the Haven before and all our needs/requests were met. well, except the one we had for Jello Shots on new year's eve. but the Butler did try (he didnt understand what Jello Shots were, he offered to get us jello from teh buffet and vodka from the bar!)

We are Platinum Plus sailing in a Haven suite on the Breakaway in a few weeks. I have a couple of questions for the Concierge that I would love to get answers to before we board. I've been contemplating calling the 800 number on our Haven Welcome Letter but from posts that I've read on here the customer service is lacking and they rarely follow through on special requests.

So my question is, were you able to actually verbally reach Anoop on the ship before your cruise to talk to him?

Thanks for any help! :)

ChesneyGirl -

Are you on the June 18th Breakaway? If so, we look forward to meeting you in the Haven. We loved it so much after our Christmas cruise that we booked 3 more Havens over the 18 months! It was a holiday cruise, and yes, there were a lot of kids, but everyone was on their best behavior, there was no lounger hogging (even on the 1st two cold and snowy days at sea), and we did not notice any crowding except for embarkation day.

There is a pre-concierge number that you can call to make all your arrangements that is a shore-based operator who notes your requests and forwards them to your Haven concierge. We called 3 weeks ago to request having our fridge emptied and to be filled with iced tea and almond mild, to note my special diet (vegan - not usually a problem, but we've learned the hard way from other cruises to notify staff), and to request memory foam and reading pillows off the Haven pillow menu. The pre-concierge woman was lovely and patient...but we are "please and thank you" kind of folks, so I find most people respond in kind. The number is: 855-625-4283 (M-F, 0900-1700).

Anoop was our concierge in December, and he was AMAZING!!! Kind, professional, hard-working. Could not have asked for a better person to help us navigate all of the Haven and ship amenities. Am so excited to see him again - he and his staff are (to quote Men in Black) "The best of the best of the best".

Hope to see you - I love to meet fellow Cruise-lovers! Warm Regards, Amy

Ship capacity is quoted as double occupancy for all rooms (except solos). When you are 20% over capacity, there are a lot of passengers in the 3rd and 4th bunks in the rooms. The true capacity is driven by the number of seats in the lifeboats (or lifeboat seats in each zone). Remember the Titanic :)

That being said, there were 800 more passengers last week, than the week before. All being served by the same crew.

What is a "reading" pillow? I was overwhelmed by the pillow choices for next week and wondered what that was :)

ChesneyGirl -

Are you on the June 18th Breakaway? If so, we look forward to meeting you in the Haven. We loved it so much after our Christmas cruise that we booked 3 more Havens over the 18 months! It was a holiday cruise, and yes, there were a lot of kids, but everyone was on their best behavior, there was no lounger hogging (even on the 1st two cold and snowy days at sea), and we did not notice any crowding except for embarkation day.

There is a pre-concierge number that you can call to make all your arrangements that is a shore-based operator who notes your requests and forwards them to your Haven concierge. We called 3 weeks ago to request having our fridge emptied and to be filled with iced tea and almond mild, to note my special diet (vegan - not usually a problem, but we've learned the hard way from other cruises to notify staff), and to request memory foam and reading pillows off the Haven pillow menu. The pre-concierge woman was lovely and patient...but we are "please and thank you" kind of folks, so I find most people respond in kind. The number is: 855-625-4283 (M-F, 0900-1700).

Anoop was our concierge in December, and he was AMAZING!!! Kind, professional, hard-working. Could not have asked for a better person to help us navigate all of the Haven and ship amenities. Am so excited to see him again - he and his staff are (to quote Men in Black) "The best of the best of the best".

Hope to see you - I love to meet fellow Cruise-lovers! Warm Regards, Amy

What is a "reading" pillow? I was overwhelmed by the pillow choices for next week and wondered what that was :)

The "reading wedge" is listed on the suite pillow choice list. It is very elusive...I"ve only seen one person ever mention getting one.

As long as there is a promo for a free 3rd and 4th person being offered for a particular sailing you can expect to see lots more children on board:D!

Our balcony cabin could only hold 2, no overheads or couch that opened up into a bed. But near by cabins held more passengers and our next door neighbors had 4 kids with them. No noise from the cabin or its occupants but someone loved to flush the toilet over and over and over all night long!;p

MARAPRINCE

NCL has ALWAYS filled the Havens and Suites on their ships. They always used the upsell department with manual upgrades and emailed offers to fill suite rooms. Upgrade advantage just automated the process, somewhat.

The Havens sundeck was its normal, crowded self. Nothing unusual with the number of people there.

For the Cirque show, we went on Sunday and seating started around 6:30. Dinner was served from 6:45-7:45 (all three courses and coffees). 1 hour for a comfortable, nonrushed meal. Show started around 7:45 running for 40 minutes. No more "intermission" for dessert. I believe the total performance time was the same as before, just avoids the interruption/intermission.

During dinner, animals and plants periodically wander through the dining room for dining entertainment/distraction. Lot of folks anxious to take pictures with them (personal photos and ships's photographer).

As far as the ship, it was a holiday weekend with lots of people. Most cruises for the last month have been running at capacity (around 4000 passengers). Last week's cruise was well over capacity.

Breakaway Capacity 3963

Last week total passengers 4764

Total US 4379

Total Non-US 394

Total Crew 1627

1-10 years old 200

11-20 years old 476

21-50 years old 2023

51-70 years old 1496

71+ years old 382

Average Age 42.6

How can it be over capacity? They can't fill the ship with more people than lifeboat spots.