Cruise with Disparate Climates

zorrosuncle

I will be on the Prinsendam on a cruise that sails from Amsterdam, hitting the Shetlands, Faroes, No. Iceland, So. Greenland, So. Iceland, the Orkney islands, Scotland and back to Amsterdam -- many different types of climate.

Temps will range from mid 60's to low 30's with rain and wind in the more northern locales.

Was wondering what advice one can receive from this forum as to the clothing I should take; I am an older man. I am leaning towards spring shirts, supported by a fleece, sweater, and winter jacket. I anticipate doing a mile every day around the deck to placate some of my doctors back home.

I will be on the Prinsendam on a cruise that sails from Amsterdam, hitting the Shetlands, Faroes, No. Iceland, So. Greenland, So. Iceland, the Orkney islands, Scotland and back to Amsterdam -- many different types of climate.

Temps will range from mid 60's to low 30's with rain and wind in the more northern locales.

Was wondering what advice one can receive from this forum as to the clothing I should take; I am an older man. I am leaning towards spring shirts, supported by a fleece, sweater, and winter jacket. I anticipate doing a mile every day around the deck to placate some of my doctors back home.

Sounds like a good plan - I will add LAYERS.

layers can be useful in case I warms up during the day and you can remove one and useful to keep you warm.

You may find some beautiful sweaters(made especially for the climate, warm but breathe so you don't overheat) in your ports that may be worth an investment as well, not only to wear on the cruise and keep you warm, but to bring home as a souvenir of a fabulous journey.

We did a South America cruise in Feb. The cruise was 14 days of a 60 day trip that encompassed warm areas in South America, Panama, and Costa Rica. Plus, we only travel with 21 inch carry on bags. I wore jeans on the plane. One light pair of long cotton slacks and some shorts.

We dress in layers. I did not bother with any long sleeve shirts. I brought the usual cotton sweater that I take on most trips. The only adjustments I made were a lined waterproof shell and an earband. I used both twice. The rest of the time they lived at the bottom of my case. We also do/did a great deal of walking. Worked out just fine since I needed the lined shell to get to airport and the start and finish of the trip.

Buy a sweater in the Shetlands or Iceland - their wool is light weight, wind resistant and perfect for the weather you will be facing. The sheep up there know what to do when they grow their own wool coats to keep warm and brace against the wind and rain.

Keep your neck, head and ears covered and you will make it with pretty much normal layers and a good wind-breaker. Silk and wool work best. But others like Thinsulate too. Long underwear - a neck gaiter, ear muffs and a cashmere scarf and gloves. All easy to pack and I take them on every trip - because you never know when just those few extras will make or break the comfort quotient.

We have faced this same challenge in the past and I am in the middle of packing for exactly the same challenge again too - RT Voyage of the Vikings and then back home via the Panama Canal. Cold to Hot. 60 days. My hooded, zip up Shetland Sweater from a prior cruise is going on the top of the packing list. And for once I am even taking my own advice, and packing everything I just recommended for you.

One thing HAL has always been good about is they have climate appropriate clothes available in the shops- and often at half off prices. So when we found ourselves lacking something, we always were able to bail ourselves out mid trip. Plus if you are Mariner you get a discount if there is a HAL logo on it.

Our solution is to not pack light :). You are going to need lots of layers, a heavier coat, and also some kind of lightweight jacket. And the coats should be water resistant. You also need adequate footware...and need to plan for some rainy days and getting soaked. Many would accuse us of overpacking....but we usually have what we need :). We just booked a Princess cruise (next year) that goes from Singapore to Vancouver via Alaska. This means tropical weather to possibly freezing weather. DW had the perfect solution. Fly business class so we can take lots of luggage :).

Hank

Our solution is to not pack light :). You are going to need lots of layers, a heavier coat, and also some kind of lightweight jacket. And the coats should be water resistant. You also need adequate footware...and need to plan for some rainy days and getting soaked. Many would accuse us of overpacking....but we usually have what we need :). We just booked a Princess cruise (next year) that goes from Singapore to Vancouver via Alaska. This means tropical weather to possibly freezing weather. DW had the perfect solution. Fly business class so we can take lots of luggage :).

Hank

Agree, these are two suitcase cruises.

Hank

Next year we are away for 3 months. We commence in Spain/Portugal, go to UK, Ireland and then cruise from Copenhagen to among other places Iceland, Faroes and Shetlands. We fly business class but we will not be taking lots of luggage as we have to lug them at times. I can tell you what we won't be taking. FORMAL CLOTHES :') We have done this before and layers is the answer.

I second the layers! Have done it. I bring a rain jacket which I spray with Camp Dry water repellent from WalMart. I also spray my/our Rick Steve's shoulder bags to help improve their water repellent surface.

We have thin, long underwear, tops and bottoms, of lightweight silk or polypropylene. I carry a thin scarf and a knit headband to cover my ears, plus a hat with a brim so the rain runs off it and not in my eyes; the rain jacket hood cocoons all this and keeps me cozy. Also now I have thin silk glove-liners which are just enough to keep the cold off my skin but I can still manage the buttons on the camera.

Under the rain jacket/windbreaker I wear a fleece over a thin silk turtleneck and even a long sleeved hooded t-shirt layer if it's really bitter out like it was at North Cape, Norway.

I don't go for the thick fluffy sweaters, I get the insulating air pockets between my light layers. Shoes/socks that will keep you warm even when wet are a must. And I have been happy to have a small folding umbrella but that takes a hand so no camera work with that but it's good for walking back to the ship.

No such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes! Go see the world! m--

It depends on the time of year. We have been in this part of the world in July/August. Apart from in the Orkneys it wasn't that cold, around 15-18c, but it was quite wet. So I would take layers and a waterproof jacket plus waterproof over trousers.

We were very thankful that we did not take loads of luggage. Hauling around a pair of jeans and a jacket that I only used for the flight down, six or seven days on the ship, and the flight home out of 60 days was enough. Especially since we did numerous flights on small aircraft, car rental, and a few buses. If I had not needed the jeans and the jacket for the return flight to colder weather I would have abandoned them for the remaining six weeks or so.

It also depends where you live. We are used to the cold climate. The thought of packing longjohns, thick sweaters, parkas etc. makes us snicker a little. Only because our winters are very cold. We did not find it particularly cold on our SA cruise. It was more the dampness on a few days and the wind.

What you pack and how much you take really depends on your itinerary, your travel plans, and your ability to carry it when necessary.

I keep seeing reference to having recommended "thick sweaters or thick and fuzz sweaters" - just the opposite, in fact the Sheltand wool sweaters are light weight, breathable, comfortable and also a perfect souvenir. No wonder you are laughing. We found the best way to tell what to wear is to seek out other travel photos online for the same locations about the same time. Agree, few ever look like Nanook of the North.

Keeping in mind also that wet wool is far more comfortable than wet anything else. Plus it also has a natural water repellency, until it is badly soaked. Often just enough to get you through the mists and fog in this part of the world. In fact we always keep a fully wool emergency "muster" outfit on hand .....if or when that might actually be required. Heaven forbid.

Why not just take a waterproof nylon shell with a thinsulate lining? Does not take any room, very light, waterproof, and drys faster than any sweater. We have one that has been on many trips. Rolled up in ball for a pillow on a train or bus, kept us dry as a bone when in a sudden downpour, and warm in damp weather.

Go on line and check out the travel stores. The trick is to take a piece of clothing that serves multiple situations and takes up as little room as possible. A high quality garment will take a beating, wear well, travel well, and last for a good long time.

Edited by iancal

We did a driving trip of Scotland in May. Had all four seasons in one day on the way to the Isle of Skye. We did have to take one extra bag for boots and warmer gear, and did use it all. Light layers worked the best, but still needed that warm jacket for the sleet and hail days. We did a lot of outdoor activities in all kinds of weather, and always turned to our double jackets, with a fleece inner jacket covered by a waterproof outer layer. We took the waterproof layer off when it was dry. That jacket alone got us through a lot of weather!

I did these ports last July and we never went into the low 30's. Do bring a pair of gloves and a hat. I had a rain jacket, hoodie and two long sleeve turtleneck tops. Plus a few t-shirts and a pair of capris. If you have binoculars bring them too.

My answer is always the same. Layers. Sounds like you've got it down pat already,

Personally I think your packing list was quite good. But since you will be stopping in the Shetland Islands, the best wool sweaters come from there. Nice light weight wool, and very warm. For sure you should purchase one, for your future trips. You won't need many layers with that, maybe a good rain jacket or wind break should be added. I know the trip you will be on, I've been looking at it myself. I just might decide to hop on board. I like the Prinsendam a lot and that ship always has such interesting itineraries. I know you will enjoy that cruise. :halo:

Marianne