Deposit refund from TA - how long?

Recently canx a Royal Carribbean cruise to NZ for early next year (2018). After 2 weeks of no refund, I followed up with Australian TA re the refund. Told it can take up to 6 months for RCI to refund the deposit. This seems absurd. What's the longest you have had to wait for a deposit refund?

I had a Costa cruise cancelled by the Line a few years ago because of redeployment of the ship, took 3 months to get the $ back.:evilsmile:

6 months seems a bit long though.:halo: Good luck with it anyhow.

I just cancelled an RCI cruise, it was a direct booking, and I received the refund in about 8 working days. It certainly didn't take months, and that is unacceptable that it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently canx a Royal Carribbean cruise to NZ for early next year (2018). After 2 weeks of no refund, I followed up with Australian TA re the refund. Told it can take up to 6 months for RCI to refund the deposit. This seems absurd. What's the longest you have had to wait for a deposit refund?

I had to ask for a deposit refund for a Royal Caribbean cruise through a travel agent group last November. The delay wasn't with Royal Caribbean or the Travel Agent but the cruise booking agency that did the bookings with cruise companies in the US. It took about 2 months

Royal are a lot better than they used to be for refunds, but they still take their sweet time (I'm an agent). Royal normally take around two months or so and I've been waiting since the beginning of April for P&O to refund money to me for a client. :(

Have cancelled at least 3 cruises booked direct with Royal, money has been back on CC within about 10 to 14 days.

I think your problem may be with your TA perhaps hanging on to the money......or maybe TA's take longer to be refunded.

If directly, Royal and Celebrity refunds come back in a few days.

BUT if through an agent, I waited 2 months for a return of the deposit - when the cruiseline cancelled. Because agents get commission, it seemed to be tied up in that and the agent didn't want to return til they had all funds from the cruiseline - and then sent it out by cheque, taking even more time.

If directly, Royal and Celebrity refunds come back in a few days.

BUT if through an agent, I waited 2 months for a return of the deposit - when the cruiseline cancelled. Because agents get commission, it seemed to be tied up in that and the agent didn't want to return til they had all funds from the cruiseline - and then sent it out by cheque, taking even more time.

Until recently, Royal and Celebrity would refund via a cheque in USD. They have a system set up now where they can issue refunds electronically. As mentioned though, they can still take their time. It's nothing to do with commission. They send back the nett amount to the agent.

Carnival Corp still issue refunds via cheque. It's ridiculous!

But hey, why let anything get in the way of agent sledging? This place is the worst for it. No wonder I stopped coming here.

But hey, why let anything get in the way of agent sledging? This place is the worst for it. No wonder I stopped coming here.

Perhaps you came back to make this point?

Don't discount the experience of others with agents just because you may not engage in the same practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until recently, Royal and Celebrity would refund via a cheque in USD. They have a system set up now where they can issue refunds electronically. As mentioned though, they can still take their time. It's nothing to do with commission. They send back the nett amount to the agent.

I referred to directly with RCL/Celebrity, not via an agent. This was including up to 5 or so years (so not what I would call recent), and the refund was not issued via cheque, but returned to the credit card on each occasion.

Carnival Corp still issue refunds via cheque. It's ridiculous!

Yes, this was with P&O, hence Carnival.

I fail to see how describing real experiences is sledging. Perhaps those real operators are sledging the customer!

I see no reason for customers to be told in tight terms to pay immediately, in specific forms, and with brusque consequences for changing their minds, yet when the cruise line does something wrong, the agent and cruise line take their own exceedingly long time (beyond any standard payment terms of 30 days), don't give any justification or consideration, and pay in inconvenient ways, inconveniencing the customer more. As the saying goes, "fair's fair."

i've cancelled bookings with Princess & RCI and the refunds have been quick but also cancelled out with p&o and they are hopeless, that one took months to get the money back