Embarkation lunch

The Lido, Dive-in and adjacent Taco Bar on Lido deck, main dining room from 12 noon to 1:30pm, or the Neptune Lounge for sliders and cold appetizers, fresh fruit, and baked goods. Occasionally, the main dining room may be closed due to a travel agent's or charity lunch being held there. Also occasionally, the main dining room gets so busy they only have space for 3, 4, and 5 star mariners, and others are turned away. However, most of the time the mdr is open to all at the time mentioned above.

Also occasionally, the main dining room gets so busy they only have space for 3, 4, and 5 star mariners, and others are turned away.

Interesting. A recent blog/review of Oosterdam said it was almost empty - only a handful of people there. We've planned for a long time to go to MDR if we can board in time. I wonder if the staggered boarding for Oosterdam causes too many people to not board until after it closes. In theory, with earlier priority boarding for some, that would automatically give priority for MDR.

There is no special dining room just for the Neptune and Pinnacle Suites.

OF the dining room is open (and it usually is), it is open to ALL passengers.

The Neptune Lounge does have small, open face tea sandwiches -- not sliders -- as there is no top in them. There are small wraps. You can take as many as you want.

OF the dining room is open (and it usually is), it is open to ALL passengers.

The Neptune Lounge does have small, open face tea sandwiches -- not sliders -- as there is no top in them. There are small wraps. You can take as many as you want.

On our recent Eurodam cruise, there were sliders (cold) offered in the Neptune lounge midday.

Interesting. A recent blog/review of Oosterdam said it was almost empty - only a handful of people there. We've planned for a long time to go to MDR if we can board in time. I wonder if the staggered boarding for Oosterdam causes too many people to not board until after it closes. In theory, with earlier priority boarding for some, that would automatically give priority for MDR.

I generally like to eat in the MDR upon embarkation and I find it's usually pretty empty. It's been my experience that the service can be slow.

Experiences with MDR lunch on embarkation day seem to be all over the map. There was a recent thread, people received emails from HAL advising them when to report for processing. If people adhere to these, you will probably, see fewer people available for this lunch.

The embarkation lunch is some kind of heavily guarded secret. If you ask anyone at the entry area on the ship, they tell you lunch is at the Lido. But if you know better and head to the mdr, you'll usually find it open. On our last cruise, there were very few people in the mdr. While we were enjoying lunch, the CD kept making announcements that the buffet was open for lunch, but never mentioned the mdr, even though it was before 1 PM. Why do they have this nice lunch if they try to keep people from going to it????

Regardless of where you end up dining, if you're in a Neptune you'll find all the venues blissfully uncrowded if you get to port early and board first.

We had a Neptune in March and we were among the first two dozen people to board the ship. I had never experienced walking through an empty Lido before...it was eerily quiet but for the clanking of some dishes by the staff!

We did not eat in the MDR but instead chose to enjoy a Dive-In lunch (without the wait!) and a beer on the open deck.

The embarkation lunch is some kind of heavily guarded secret.

Yes, only Cruise Critic people know about it. ;) It's a surrogate "Meet & Greet" for CC.

But with priority embarkation it sort of becomes that with the early closing. Assigning 12:30pm or later for all others (who follow it) is sort of exclusionary.

The embarkation luncheon has been posted in our When and Where (formerly On Location) on our last two cruises, so it's not that big of a secret IF people read it when they board.

• 3 weeks later...

There is also room service available on embarkation day. Sometimes it's been the best thing for me if I've had a frazzled morning; quiet time to unpack with a nice lunch brought to me. DH usually searches out pizza, but he will join me in the MDR if I'm up for it and the timing works out. The MDR is a quite civilized start to a cruise. m--

We boarded at around 11:45 with the wheelchair crowd and had time to drop carry-ons in the cabin and head to MDR. We had been told at check-in to "go to deck 9 for lunch" and when I asked about MDR they said they did not think it was open. When we got on board and asked if we needed assistance finding our cabin ("No thank you, we're fine") I asked if MDR was open for lunch and was told again "lunch is in the Lido Market on deck 9" (no response in the negative to the MDR question). BUT when we actually got to the MDR (on deck 2, lower level) there was a large number of staff there to direct us to a table Like there were expecting people all along.

As far as all the negative answers about lunch in MDR I like the theory that Tinknock50 expressed when we met up onboard. The idea is that the check-in and other people are not always sure if it will be open so the safe answer is "no". Better to be proven ignorant if it is open after all than disappoint people if it happens to not be. Not sure how often this happens but it can get reserved for groups and visitors (like travel agents or HAL employees) and be closed to everyone else. Especially in Seattle where the HAL HQ is nearby.

What is the big deal with the embarkation lunch. It is only lunch. How special can it be? The last thing that we want on embarkation is to get stuck in the MDR.

The Lido can be very busy at embarkation, and wandering the area to see what's available, waiting in line, then trying to find a table to sit at may be the last thing that people want when starting a relaxing vacation. I can certainly understand why people would want the calmer atmosphere of the MDR.

The length of lunch in the MDR is nothing like dinner...it actually moves fairly smoothly.

When HAL started the embarkation lunches in the MDR, they were quite popular. But on our recent cruises, they have not been as crowded....despite being opened up to more cruisers. On our last cruise the topic came up at a large dinner table and the consensus was that the embarkation lunch menu left a lot to be desired. Most at our table preferred the buffet,,,,,even though it could be a bit crowded. Personally, we still enjoy the quiet and calm of the MDR....but will admit that the lunch menus are not great.

Hank

The embarkation lunch is some kind of heavily guarded secret. If you ask anyone at the entry area on the ship, they tell you lunch is at the Lido. But if you know better and head to the mdr, you'll usually find it open. On our last cruise, there were very few people in the mdr. While we were enjoying lunch, the CD kept making announcements that the buffet was open for lunch, but never mentioned the mdr, even though it was before 1 PM. Why do they have this nice lunch if they try to keep people from going to it????

Probably because of a shortage of staff. A lot of staff are distributing luggage around the ship and extra staff are usually constripted to helping to get the cabins turned over for the new passengers.

We usually eat in the MDR and it is very quiet and peaceful.

Two years ago we went to the embarkation lunch on the Noordam. There were only a few passengers dining there. I almost never go to a lido buffet on any ship, so being able to have a lunch in the MDR was appreciated. The relaxed ambience, fine china and silver almost made up for the poor quality of the food.

We didn't return for lunch until the Mariners' lunch. Again, the food was not what one would expect (tough short ribs of beef) but the interesting people at the huge table made it worthwhile and I would do it again. Fortunately we were in a Neptune stateroom and could take light lunches in the lounge. Technically that is a buffet, of course, but it was never a "bun fight".:)