Seeking advice- snorkeling versus beach

jmcinnc

Hi there,

We're going on RC Adventure of the Seas in August, stopping in St, Thomas, St. Kitts, Curacao and Aruba. We are thinking about doing snorkel excursions on two of the islands, a beach day on one island and swimming with dolphins on one island (our daughters' first choice for excursions). Would love some advice on which islands have the best snorkeling. Thanks so much for your help!

In St. Thomas you can take a taxi to Coki Beach and snorkel from shore. There are a lot of Sargent Majors in the area - bring along large size Milk Bones Dog Biscuits and they eat right out of your hand! You can bring your own snorkel equipment and have a beach day/snorkel for very little money.

St. Kitts, I'd do a boat snorkel tour.

Curacao has an interesting pontoon bridge and Dutch downtown that is really cool to wander around.

Aruba is kind of blah so I'd do a boat snorkeling tour there or go power snorkeling at seabobaruba.com

I honestly believe that dolphin interactions are a bad idea and I want to urge you to reconsider this idea. They can be extremely dangerous to both the human and the animal. You might want to read this information before you decide whether or not to participate in this activity:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/10/14/swimming-with-dolphins.aspx

https://www.thedodo.com/swim-dolphins-caribbean-1094674999.html

here is video of an accident at Dolphin Academy Curacao:

And someone being bitten during a dolphin encounter:

In St. Thomas you can take a taxi to Coki Beach and snorkel from shore. There are a lot of Sargent Majors in the area - bring along large size Milk Bones Dog Biscuits and they eat right out of your hand! . . .

DO NOT FEED FISH MILKBONES. They are fish not dogs and if nature wanted them to eat dog bones they would provide them to the fish. All this irresponsible behavior does is harm the fish and the reef system.

Hi there,

We're going on RC Adventure of the Seas in August, stopping in St, Thomas, St. Kitts, Curacao and Aruba. We are thinking about doing snorkel excursions on two of the islands, a beach day on one island and swimming with dolphins on one island (our daughters' first choice for excursions). Would love some advice on which islands have the best snorkeling. Thanks so much for your help!

I personally don't care to snorkel from shore. I prefer snorkeling off of a boat. St. Thomas had a few excursions where a boat will take you out and you can snorkel. St. Thomas also has Magen's Bay beach. It's beautiful, but a bit crowded. You can also head over to St. Johns from St. Thomas. It is quite nice there also. Aruba is a suppose to be a beautiful place to snorkel. I will find out this Nov. :D