Steakhouse on the Magic. As good as:

LadyBeBop

I know the steakhouse is an additional $35/person or $70.00 for the two of us.

I'm sure that the steaks are much better quality as a Ponderosa or Golden Corral. My question: Is it as good of quality as the higher end steakhouses? Say a Jeff Ruby's in Cincinnati and Louisville? Or an Eddie Merlot?

We'll pay the $70 for Ruby/Merlot quality. But not for a lower end steak.

I know the steakhouse is an additional $35/person or $70.00 for the two of us.

I'm sure that the steaks are much better quality as a Ponderosa or Golden Corral. My question: Is it as good of quality as the higher end steakhouses? Say a Jeff Ruby's in Cincinnati and Louisville? Or an Eddie Merlot?

While I have heard of neither of the two you mentioned, I would estimate something in between by closer to the upper side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

to mention Ponderosa or Golden Corral is an insult to food in general.

That's an understatement.

Also never heard of your other 2 choices.

Ruby is Cincinnati based. But I thought Merlot is national.

Comparing the Carnival steakhouses to...let's say Outback or Texas Roadhouse. I'm hoping Carnival is more than a couple of steps above those two national chains.

I think it would be quite helpful to put it on a scale between (or above or below) Outback and Ruth's Chris... I think a lot of folks know those two brands.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Our last visit was actually darn close to Ruth's Chris. My hubby could cut his well done filet with a fork. WELL DONE. (First, who the heck gets a filet well-done? My man. He can barely look at my medium rare, but I love him just the same.)

Seriously, he cut it with a fork. My medium rare was cooked beautifully and tasted fabulous. It was the best steakhouse meal we've had on a ship. Flat out yummy and, we thought, worth way more than the 35.00 charge. Add in that chocolate sampler and it was over the top. We left so pleased and both thought Ruth's Chris was a good comparison for THAT chef. We've hit the steakhouse before and thought Outback was closer. Still good and still worth 35.00.

I have never eaten at Outback.

My opinion is that the beef is comparable to Ruth's Chris. But beyond that the appetizers are truly incredible. Specifically the Lobster Bisque, the escargot, and my all time favorite, Beef Carpaccio.

I doubt you will regret dining there.

Enjoy your cruise!

We dine at the steakhouse overnight on all our Carnival cruises simply because the food is just ok in the MDR, that is where you find all their beef to be of what you would get at Golden Corral or maybe worse because its been many many years since I last been at Golden Coral, maybe Carnivals MDR beef is worse?

You won't get Morton's, David Burke, Prime, Peter Lugar quality but I don't care for Ruth Chris and to me Carnival's Steakhouse is better than Ruth Chris! I am a beef eater and trust me I have eaten over 42-49 times in my last 6/7 Carnival cruises all within the past three years time frame and never had a bad steak ever! I have to agree with the previous poster that its equivalent to Flemings Steakhouse and I been to CUT Steakhouse in Beverly Hills twice (two different trips) and I thought Carnivals steak was better than there! (To be honest all because a restaurant is rated 5 stars doesn't mean I think it is, I don't like any of Wolfgang Pucks restaurants at all, and two of his 5 star rated restaurants also in Beverly Hills named Spago and CUT I feel they are way overrated and not as good, all been disappointing in food quality, presentation and taste.

I do rate the Steakhouse 5 stars when you figure in the atmosphere, service and the food, its all excellent. Is it worth $35 you have no idea what we pay just for the steak at restaurants that we have been to (average 47-75) just for the steak and for $35 you getting all the courses, its cheap and so worth the meal and now you got my mouth watering lol.

Not quite at the Ruth's Chris/Mortons level (maybe on par with Flemings?), but way above Outback/Texas Roadhouse. Plus the wine list is way better than anywhere else on the ship.

Well stated, we find Outback mediocre at best. My wife does not eat meat and the Sea Bass was outstanding. Try getting a fresh Sea Bass ala cart in the states for $35, good luck. The Lobster Bisque and Onion Soup are to die for. We get one of each and share.

I'm not even a huge fan of steak, but the steakhouse is a must! Everything is excellent, from the service to the salads, appetizers, dessert, even the bread is delicious. I would be happy even just ordering a bunch of appetizers and eating the delicious rosemary focaccia. Yum.

[quote=LadyBeBop;53273798 My question: Is it as good of quality as the higher end steakhouses? Say a Jeff Ruby's in Cincinnati and Louisville? Or an Eddie Merlot?

Been to the steakhouse 5 times. 3X on Freedom. 2X on Breeze. We were unable to get reservations on the Vista a few months ago. It was sold out.

It's as good as Ted's of Beverly Hills. http://www.tedsofbh.com/home.html

Ate there last night on the magic and it was completely worth it. It wasn't as good as the one my BF makes at home in the cast iron skillet, but it was very good!!! The whole dining experience is wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an understatement.

Ruby is Cincinnati based. But I thought Merlot is national.

Comparing the Carnival steakhouses to...let's say Outback or Texas Roadhouse. I'm hoping Carnival is more than a couple of steps above those two national chains.

I've had the ribeye on a couple Carnival ships and loved it. The whole experience is way above the main dining room on the ship. I have had a filet at Rubys and would compare the atmosphere and quality to the Carnival steakhouse. I live relatively close to Eddie Merlots in Cincy but have only had appies there so can't compare but again the atmosphere is comparable. Outback and TRH aren't even in the running to compare. They are more than a few steps below.

Seeing as how the $35 gets you an appetizer, bread, entree and dessert I don't think you will feel like you overpaid at all. I can't think of anywhere on land that can match the steakhouse quality for the price, you would easily pay over $100 for a comparable meal for two in my opinion. My wife loved her filet and my ribeye was delicious. I also recommend the beef carpaccio, I think my wife got the onion soup, whatever she had she really enjoyed it. If the sea bass is anything like what we had at the chef's table it will be very hard to pass up next time, and I really like my steak lol. Also the staff is more than happy to serve your dessert to go since you will probably be much too full to eat it there and you don't want to pass on it!

To be honest, I was skeptical of paying the extra money to dine there before we went the first time. But my wife wanted to try it so I figured why not, if we don't feel it's worth it we don't have to do it again and it is cheaper than most excursions... Needless to say we both enjoyed it and will most likely dine there once each cruise if the ship has one.

The atmosphere is also nice, just a cut above the normal dining room experience. We were there while in port at Curacao on the Splendor and watched the sunset and the skyline go from day to night, pretty awesome view.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Edited by nc762shooter

Seeing as how the $35 gets you an appetizer, bread, entree and dessert I don't think you will feel like you overpaid at all. I can't think of anywhere on land that can match the steakhouse quality for the price, you would easily pay over $100 for a comparable meal for two in my opinion.
The counter argument as I typically have seen it expressed is grounded in the idea that you're already paying for a meal from the cruise line. A direct comparison is dodgy because even though we know that the cruise line is spending roughly $10 per day at most for the food ingredients that they use to feed you in the free venues, that doesn't accurately reflect how much cost they are incurring to acquire, load, store, prepare, and present the food to you in the free venues, nor does that account for a number of other aspects of the dining experience in the free venues. Still, add all that up and you're still not at $100 a person.

By the same token I've seen a lot of folks challenge that estimate that what you are getting for $35 is worth $100 a person. And that's what has kept us from trying this option on any of our previous cruises (along with the fact that we would only consider the seafood entree there, and I see less posted about that). Reviews like yours along with a move toward a more YOLO attitude are getting us closer, I think.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The counter argument as I typically have seen it expressed is grounded in the idea that you're already paying for a meal from the cruise line. A direct comparison is dodgy because even though we know that the cruise line is spending roughly $10 per day at most for the food ingredients that they use to feed you in the free venues, that doesn't accurately reflect how much cost they are incurring to acquire, load, store, prepare, and present the food to you in the free venues, nor does that account for a number of other aspects of the dining experience in the free venues. Still, add all that up and you're still not at $100 a person.

By the same token I've seen a lot of folks challenge that estimate that what you are getting for $35 is worth $100 a person. And that's what has kept us from trying this option on any of our previous cruises (along with the fact that we would only consider the seafood entree there, and I see less posted about that). Reviews like yours along with a move toward a more YOLO attitude are getting us closer, I think.

And that's part of my thinking. Last time we went to Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse in Cincinnati, I think our bill was about $145 for us two. That included drinks. That was for our anniversary in 2015.

It looks like their prices went up considerably in the past 18 months. Here is their menu.

http://www.jeffruby.com/Portals/jeffruby/Documents/Menus/2017-05-23%20JR%20Letter%20Sized%20Menu%20-%20for%20email.pdf?cache=1497181048023

I've never eaten at Ruth Chris or Morton's even though Cincinnati has them. We just consider Ruby's to be the gold standard around here. And I also think, at the pricees Carnival charges, we may be expecting Ruby quality.

I was meaning $35 for 1 person, therefore $70 for two. On land I said $100 for two, or $50 for one. Don't think the steakhouse equals a $100 per person meal nor is it trying to.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Carnival is equivalent to Ruth's Chris - way beyond an Outback or other such chain. It is a "classic" steakhouse with everything served ala carte (yet included in the price). There is no comparison and worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums