Accident while on Cruise

easyboy

Oh, security can get passports out of any safe and get them to the harbor master in situations like this.

Actually if they were on a closed loop cruise from the US, they may not have had passports on the trip at all??

Another great reason to have trip insurance AND a passport.

Actually if they were on a closed loop cruise from the US, they may not have had passports on the trip at all??

Another great reason to have trip insurance AND a passport.

Which is what most of the seasoned travelers advise on these boards. Unfortunate, there are always some who go on and on that they aren't required and we shouldn't be suggesting people waste money on them.

Which is what most of the seasoned travelers advise on these boards. Unfortunate, there are always some who go on and on that they aren't necessary and we shouldn't be suggesting people spend money on "unneeded" items.

Well, if they don't need it why should they spend money on it? I agree that a passport is the gold standard but everyone's travel needs are different. Personally I wouldn't let the fact that this regrettable incident occurred influence my decision to get a passport if I didn't otherwise need it.

Well, if they don't need it why should they spend money on it? I agree that a passport is the gold standard but everyone's travel needs are different. Personally I wouldn't let the fact that this regrettable incident occurred influence my decision to get a passport if I didn't otherwise need it.

If you look at it as insurance, you may think it is worth it. And even for closed loop cruises, that is what it can certainly be if problems occur. Like any kind of insurance, the hope is to never need it. But, since life is full of surprises, and not all of them positive, having something even though it is not absolutely required may pay off huge dividends in the long run. If you prefer to gamble that nothing will ever happen, then go for it. I like to be a bit more responsible and do whatever I can reasonably do to protect myself in case of unexpected emergencies. And that includes having a passport easily available just in case, as well as a good travel insurance policy. In over 50 years of travel I have never needed either in an emergency. But I don't regret one iota any money I have spent on "insurance" that I have never needed. Instead, I am thankful for the protection it has provided, even if not used. There is a certain peace-of-mind as the result.

Just had a need to use travel insurance. Biggest advantage (besides monetary) is that they took care of flights and transportation for DD. They knew exactly what she needed to make her flights safe for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you look at it as insurance, you may think it is worth it. And even for closed loop cruises, that is what it can certainly be if problems occur. Like any kind of insurance, the hope is to never need it. But, since life is full of surprises, and not all of them positive, having something even though it is not absolutely required may pay off huge dividends in the long run. If you prefer to gamble that nothing will ever happen, then go for it. I like to be a bit more responsible and do whatever I can reasonably do to protect myself in case of unexpected emergencies. And that includes having a passport easily available just in case, as well as a good travel insurance policy. In over 50 years of travel I have never needed either in an emergency. But I don't regret one iota any money I have spent on "insurance" that I have never needed. Instead, I am thankful for the protection it has provided, even if not used. There is a certain peace-of-mind as the result.

Very nice passive aggressive response, insinuating that anyone that chooses something differently than you is somehow being irresponsible;p. Yes, someone can certainly look at having a passport as being insurance and that is a perfectly valid viewpoint. But I don't see them as insurance because they aren't- they are government travel document that both costs money and comes with an expiration date and insurance is insurance. When we first started cruising passports would have set us back around $850 for a 4 day cruise. You might have decided that expenditure would be worth it, I decided it wasn't after looking at all of our risk factors and our future travel plans. Your choice works for you and mine works for me. People should look at their risk factors, their travel needs and plans, and use the documentation that works best for them.

Very nice passive aggressive response, insinuating that anyone that chooses something differently than you is somehow being irresponsible. ....

You can read between the lines and be offended all you want. I have no control over that. As a famous philosopher once said: "No one can offend you unless you let them. You have then given them all the power."

I will always feel it is a more responsible approach to ensure that adequate protection is taken when traveling. I will make no apologies for that. Do as you please, and happy cruising. I genuinely hope you never encounter a situation that you aren't prepared for. :halo:

BTW: isn't lecturing someone on their opinions, as you have just done, considered a form of ACTIVE aggression?? :confused:

It has been said that 'If you cannot afford Travel insurance, then you cannot afford to travel' . I think it is a personal choice and determined by each individuals risk threshold. That said, I think it is too big a gamble to travel internationally without insurance and depending on the trip that may include domestic travel as well. I also think that any cruise can be considered as international travel.as the medical bay does not charge under our normal medical insurance..

You can read between the lines and be offended all you want. I have no control over that. As a famous philosopher once said: "No one can offend you unless you let them. You have then given them all the power."

I will always feel it is a more responsible approach to ensure that adequate protection is taken when traveling. I will make no apologies for that. Do as you please, and happy cruising. I genuinely hope you never encounter a situation that you aren't prepared for. :halo:

BTW: isn't lecturing someone on their opinions, as you have just done, considered a form of ACTIVE aggression?? :confused:

I haven't been offended by anything that you've said and I agree with the philosopher that you quoted. I also feel that one should ensure that adequate protection is taken, but when that comes at a cost it is something that needs to be weighed.

Sharks don't like human flesh. If you are in that predicament just wait, the odds are the shark will let go and spit you out. (Per my ex husband who has been a professional surfer around the world for 50 years).

I am real curious on these cases of where large fees are involved if you have to pay up front and then file the insurance. I have read before that is the case.

I do know that we were on a cruise in mid April and had to take grandson to the ship doctor. I had to pay the total bill then and there. We came home and had to file with his parents insurance (still waiting on them to say no we want pay) then I have to file with the cruise insurance.

I talked to a lady in the ship doctors office that got real sick and been getting antibiotics by IV everyday and she went on and on what all had been done . Her bill so far was well over 3,000. And she had to pay each time.

Long story short after hearing/reading stories I now travel with two credit cards in the event of a large large event.

I am real curious on these cases of where large fees are involved if you have to pay up front and then file the insurance. I have read before that is the case.

I do know that we were on a cruise in mid April and had to take grandson to the ship doctor. I had to pay the total bill then and there. We came home and had to file with his parents insurance (still waiting on them to say no we want pay) then I have to file with the cruise insurance.

I talked to a lady in the ship doctors office that got real sick and been getting antibiotics by IV everyday and she went on and on what all had been done . Her bill so far was well over 3,000. And she had to pay each time.

Long story short after hearing/reading stories I now travel with two credit cards in the event of a large large event.

I'm thinking "it depends" on the facility and the type of insurance involved. I have not had a medical issue onboard a ship. But, on my one trip in Italy, I had to have EMTs carry me off a trail (yep, the old fireman's carry - too rocky for a sled) to an ambulance, then drive from Montalcino to Siena. Reduction of the dislocation of my ankle at the tibia and reduction of the fracture of my fibula 4 night hospital stay until I was cleared to fly back home (needed 4 flights over 2 days with an overnight at CDG) for surgery. I did not pay anything. My travel insurance carrier took care of it all. I did see the bill from the hospital - over 10,000EU, but I owed nothing. I had very good travel insurance from Travel Assured that time.

Sharks don't like human flesh. If you are in that predicament just wait, the odds are the shark will let go and spit you out. (Per my ex husband who has been a professional surfer around the world for 50 years).

The problem with sharks is by the time they realise that they don't like the taste of you, it may be too late.

The problem with sharks is by the time they realise that they don't like the taste of you, it may be too late.

I pray not. And I am grateful in that they have small children, she lived through it. Certainly the family needs her. The family has my heartfelt wishes for a speedy recovery.

7 and 3 of them were under 16 so their passports would have expired in 5 years instead of 10.

So you personally were paying for all 7?

If you have 5 kids then travel is expensive for you anyway you look at it. Especially short cruises so that's why I don't take them. Lol

If your group of 7 included a different family makeup then those not directly in your down line should just pay for themselves

IMHO I think all too often one person in a travel group thinks they must pay for the entire group. I.e. A grandparent paying for all. Or an adult child paying for their parents. Or a parent covering a kids friend to join them.

That's all fine and well of course but there is also nothing wrong with not doing that either

My family loves to travel. it's costly as we are 2 parents and 4 kids

3 are self supporting now and 1 in high school but I'll tell you something...

Every time a pp was needed to be initiated or renewed it always came out of their own funds

And many of the bigger trips they also each kicked in a lot

Now that 3 have good paychecks of course they cover themselves 100%

The high schooler about 50%

I of course treat them to many extras on any trip be it land or cruise or foreign or domestic

I know this isn't everyone's scenario but honestly when kids get monetary gifts and parents save it for them...is there any law that says it can't be used to take them on a great trip? I believe too many parents let their kids miss out on too much great stuff as say a 10 yo because they are so crazed about never ever touching that gift cash the kid got at birth. Lol

Any law that says a highly paid 23 yo RN can't pay their way to the Med? This one actually looked at me and said " mom you are not going to pay my way!!"

The well paid (babysitter) high schooler asked "how much do you want me to kick in?"

You get the idea I'm sure but what I'm really getting at is when stuff is just too costly for one person to handle then the costs are just handled differently

Disclaimer: Yes I know it's a totally different situation if you are talking about traveling with a 3 yo etc.

Edited by luvtheships

The medical bills on board are huge and it is wise to have a cc with a high limit to make sure you can cover any expense.

I've said that on these boards for years

Especially when someone posts that they don't use credit cards That's cringeworthy

So you personally were paying for all 7?

Yes, they are all of our children and all were under 18 at the time. Had passports actually been required for the trip then in all likelihood we would have chosen a different form of vacation but after reading through the regulations and assessing our risks we determined that the passports weren't really needed so we decided to wait to get them until we actually needed them for the travel we were doing.

Especially when someone posts that they don't use credit cards That's cringeworthy

Each to their own I suppose. I prefer to be covered for a multitude of mishaps and scenarios, 'Be prepared' is a good motto .

Each to their own I suppose. I prefer to be covered for a multitude of mishaps and scenarios, 'Be prepared' is a good motto .

lol I'm always prepared. I not only have a plan B but plan C and sometimes plan D at the ready

Sharks don't like human flesh? Ha! :') :D That's just something said to make people feel better. Unfortunately, in all my years working for the USCG and conducting maritime investigations, not to mention 20 years living in the Keys diving, snorkeling and spearfishing, I've seen my fair share of shark incidents ranging from bites to complete human consumption. Most of the bites can be attributed to human stupidity (messing with the sharks), but the total consumption incidents, well, those sharks seemed to like the taste just fine.

One can have credit cards but not use them.

There's this thing in America called bankruptcy that is the biggest insurance policy ever invented :'):')