Island Princess vs. Coral Princess

quelah

I was getting ready to book a Panama Canal cruise on the Island, but then I read some of the complaints about the alterations that have been made on that ship. I"m wondering if the Coral would be a better choice. I've never been on either ship. What's to choose between the two? Any opinions?

Dennis

I was getting ready to book a Panama Canal cruise on the Island, but then I read some of the complaints about the alterations that have been made on that ship. I"m wondering if the Coral would be a better choice. I've never been on either ship. What's to choose between the two? Any opinions?

Dennis

CORAL PRINCESS!!!

You are doing the canal. Coral has viewing decks fore and aft on Caribe and Baja decks. Island had the aft viewing decks turned into cabins.

Coral has a promenade that goes all around. Island had the promenade truncated when the aft portion became all cabins.

Coral has International Cafe. Island only has the pathetic La Patisserie.

If you use the gym Coral Princess has windows. Island Princess moved the gym to an inside location with no windows.

Coral has the Universe Lounge. Island had the lounge removed when they added all the cabins.

Coral Princess is (to date) our favorite Princess ship. Island is our least favorite.

Edited by Thrak

Coral Coral Coral!!! Just got off that beautiful ship 2 days ago for the second time. Love that ship!!! Everything is just right as so many above have stated. We especially enjoyed the stern viewing area on Caribe. So peaceful and mostly private. I think most were not aware.

I echo what everyone else has said. The itinerary thru the Panama Canal is the same on both. The Coral is beautiful (they didn't get their hands on it to change it like the Island).

I'm actually going to be on the Island in January--round South America. Unfortunately, there is no other ship doing this exact route this year. I will miss the Universe Lounge, the International Cafe, and the scenic gym!

I will be the lone voice for the Island. We've done the Panama Canal twice - first on the Coral five years ago, and then on the Island this past Dec/Jan. We like aft Vista suites. The Coral has no cabins completely aft, so our cabin was on the side of the ship. With the changes to the Island we had the nicest Vista suite we'd ever been in, with an incredible balcony. The cabin is important to us, so for that reason, I vote for the Island. If you aren't going to stay in a completely aft cabin, then the Coral might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be the lone voice for the Island. We've done the Panama Canal twice - first on the Coral five years ago, and then on the Island this past Dec/Jan. We like aft Vista suites. The Coral has no cabins completely aft, so our cabin was on the side of the ship. With the changes to the Island we had the nicest Vista suite we'd ever been in, with an incredible balcony. The cabin is important to us, so for that reason, I vote for the Island. If you aren't going to stay in a completely aft cabin, then the Coral might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RSF Cruiser, you are not alone. I also love aft Vista suites and chose Island Princess specifically because it now has them. We had A728 and we had friends in A727 and A729, so we got to see all of them. A727 is not aft-facing but the balcony wraps around the corner so you have a 270° view. All the balconies were huge and the suites were fresh and new. We did not miss the International Café, the wrap around Promenade deck, the Universe Lounge, or the gym at all. The Horizon Court has been completely redone and is very nice. So there are some things in Island Princess' favor.

Is this a no brainer, or what??? CORAL!!

Unfortunately we don't have a choice, as Island is the only ship doing this itinerary when we can sail. Hopefully, more of those folks who have good feelings about the Island will chime in here as well.