St Martin Motorcycle rental. Anyone ever don't this?

Porsche4fun

I am sailing on the Gem leaving NY on December 2 2017. When we dock in St. Martin I was hoping to rent a motorcycle and explore the island. I see that the Harley Davidson dealer on the island rents motorcycles at a very reasonable rate and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with doing this it the dealer. I am an experienced and licensed motorcycle rider so it seems a national option.

Any comments are welcome.

As long as you are experienced riding, it should be OK. I've rented scooters as a low cost alternative - much closer to the port, which saves a lot of time. It is a fun way to get around, but you need to watch for the pot holes and broken pavement.

Thank you for your reply. It's good information and an alternative. I am looking for something a little heftier as I want to make the full island circle. I've been to St Martin before and want to revisit some sights.

Ahhhh, so you want something a bit more powerful then a scooter :). How about a "hog." You can e-mail these folks and work something out.

http://www.h-dstmartin.com/rentals/

Given the quality of the roads, and the drivers, you should also make sure you have decent medical insurance that will cover you in St Maarten.

Hank

I have commented on this topic many times ... let's cut to a short version

My organization eventually 'banned' renting 2 wheeled vehicles 'cuz of the accidents and BIG medical bills

IME the people who had the biggest problems where "experienced riders" who assumed they could deal with driving on the other side and a lot of sand (more slippery than ice)

I STRONGLY suggest you NOT ........

IME the people who had the biggest problems where "experienced riders" who assumed they could deal with driving on the other side and a lot of sand (more slippery than ice)

They drive on the same side of the road as in North America

we rented a harley in Aruba. Driving was on the regular side of the road. There were three bikes available and 3 couples going. 1 sportster and 2 soft tails. We were able to get a soft tail! I was the passenger my DH was the driver. It was very hot and lots of traffic. It was hard to stay in a group when going around traffic circles or roundabouts. After the trip was over I asked DH if he had fun He said he wouldn't do it again. Because of traffic and sand he had to really concentrate on the driving instead of seeing the sights and just having a relaxing ride. We do have our own soft tail that we ride frequently so I would consider him an experienced driver. Better to rent a car and save the biking for USA.

A few years ago a RCCL ship docked next to us in St. Maartin. A door opened next to the pier and we watched, amazed, to watch more then a dozen motorcycles be driven off the ship - by passengers! There was a lead car ahead of them as they all drove off the pier! We saw them at the Harley dealership then all parked together on the shore. I am sure they were celebrating at a bar before all returned to the ship!

Only question we had was what about all the gas the motorcycles had on the ship?

A few years ago a RCCL ship docked next to us in St. Maartin. A door opened next to the pier and we watched, amazed, to watch more then a dozen motorcycles be driven off the ship - by passengers! There was a lead car ahead of them as they all drove off the pier! We saw them at the Harley dealership then all parked together on the shore. I am sure they were celebrating at a bar before all returned to the ship!

Only question we had was what about all the gas the motorcycles had on the ship?

If you do a google search on Harley motorcycle cruises you can find them, Rccl does one every year. I always wanted to do one but my DH didn't want to put baby in the bottom of the ship where she might get banged up! :eek:

I have commented on this topic many times ... let's cut to a short version

My organization eventually 'banned' renting 2 wheeled vehicles 'cuz of the accidents and BIG medical bills

They drive on the right hand side of the road (both the French and Dutch sides), just like in the US. We rent a car each time we visit St. Maarten to drive around the island.

They do not fill the tanks & have to drain them down to a small amount just enough to drive on/off the ship

we rented a harley in Aruba. Driving was on the regular side of the road. There were three bikes available and 3 couples going. 1 sportster and 2 soft tails. We were able to get a soft tail! I was the passenger my DH was the driver. It was very hot and lots of traffic. It was hard to stay in a group when going around traffic circles or roundabouts. After the trip was over I asked DH if he had fun He said he wouldn't do it again. Because of traffic and sand he had to really concentrate on the driving instead of seeing the sights and just having a relaxing ride. We do have our own soft tail that we ride frequently so I would consider him an experienced driver. Better to rent a car and save the biking for USA.

Good point about the heat- traffic is slow on much of the island, and an air conditioned car is a lot more comfortable (and less expensive) than a couple of motorcycles. Also, if a beach stop is contemplated, it's good to be able to bring towels, etc. with you.