Anthem in Hurricane

Just saw a TV programme about scary weather. One part showed the Anthem caught up in a hurricane. The waves were over the windows of deck 11. Tables and chairs sliding around the place - definately scary stuff.

Feel sorry for the passengers. Same thing happened before in Feb last year while sailing to Port Canaveral.

Just saw a TV programme about scary weather. One part showed the Anthem caught up in a hurricane. The waves were over the windows of deck 11. Tables and chairs sliding around the place - definately scary stuff.

Well, while a video out the balcony door on deck 11 showed a wave filling the view, the waves were not that high, the ship was rolling so you were looking down towards the waves. Reported waves during that storm were 30 feet, while deck 11 is about 80 feet above the waterline. Also, if waves were striking the ship that high, the windows on decks 3-6, in particular, but all decks below 11 would have been subjected to enough force to break them out.

As with much news, this stuff has been edited to provide the most "thrill" per second to sell advertising space.

On my Feb. 2, 2015 Quantum cruise, as we approached Nassau the Captain informed of an upcoming storm. There was no rain or anything and it was very sunny and windy. The waves were as high as 25 feet, and other than an occasional wave hitting the side of the ship which made for a lot of noise the ship handled itself. There was a lot of creaking noise emanating form various areas of the ship. Afraid to get on the elevators. In one instance I was lounging in the Solarium looking out at the rough seas and suddenly a lot of spray reached the Solarium level--it was magnificent.

We stayed close to the Eastern seaboard, and the Captain mentioned that if he veered a bit further East, we would encounter an add'l 5 ft. This weather pattern went on for a day & a half.

LOL, you are so very wrong about the waves reaching deck 11...:')

I don't think sailing thru high seas or storms is fun at all... I think anything over 8-10 foot waves is too rough, even tho I KNOW the ship can handle it. It's simply not fun, for me!

We were on the Sea Princess in a force 11 in the Bay of Biscay and several Windows were broken and the staff Captain said it was the worst he had ever experienced.

We hated it and spent most of the day feeling and being sick in our cabins.

We will be on the anthem in January 2018, first time leaving from NY/NJ. I'm from Philadelphia, but out of the 17 past cruises, never left from up here (go figure). What's the cruising weather like December/January? How long might it take before we get to warm weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anthem is awesome! The indoor Solarium is beautiful. Warmer weather usually will be in the afternoon of day 2, so one full sea day and a half.

Bayonne is the easiest port to sail from and parking is very convenient, Drop of your bags before parking. Have a great cruise.:D

Carnival Valor 2012, a day behind Sandy, going through the Florida straits. We had a aft balcony, deck 6, say 60 feet above the water.

About 11 the swells were getting big, 20 feet maybe, kinda relaxing, giving you the uuuuup and doooown, at about 1 the waves were getting closer together, uppppp, doooown, bam, creaks and bangs, upppp, down, bang. Ok enough of this, got up, went out on the balcony. Perfectly clear night, not a cloud in the sky, moon on the water, wind probably 30 or 40 mph, went out just as the stern was in a trough, looked like we were even with the water, probably not though.

I watch many of those videos (because I am weird and enjoy watching disaster videos especially before going on a trip), and most of the videos I have seen of Athem during the storms have not had waves that high. I know there was some damage to the Anthem when it apparently sailed through a hurricane, but I think people dramatize things much more than they necessarily are in certain situations.This is especially true if there is media coverage or social media coverage. I mean at least they had electricity and flushing toilets for the rest of the sailing.

I was on this sailing on the Anthem when we were caught in the eye of the storm. Yes the media as we know over hypes things and uses any footage to over dramatize the events.

The motion started around 2 pm. We were watching the show "We Will Rock You" (no pun intended) when suddenly they had to stop and cancel the show due to the sets on the stage moving and becoming unsafe for the performers. As we exited the theater, you can see some water coming in through Deck 5 as the waves got higher and higher. The crew were clearing up the area as best they could and blocked all outer deck doors. An hour later, conditions worsened and we were all instructed to go back to our staterooms and to stay there until further notice.

The captain and cruise director made announcements and said we will most likely be out of the storm within 2-3 hours and that dining and entertainment will resume after that time. Well 2 hours passed, 3 hours passed, we were still in the storm. Now the ship wasn't rolling side to side or up and down constantly. It was more of we would list to one side for an hour and then the ship would "reposition" and then we would list / lean to the other side for another hour. That's where you see the video of when people would put something on a desk and it would slide off.

Walking to use the bathroom was quite interesting. One hour you would feel like you were walking up a hill to get to the bathroom and another hour it felt like you were walking down a ramp to get to the bathroom.

The storm lasted much longer than 2-3 hours. Dinner was cancelled and we were instructed to eat and drink what was in the mini bar free of charge. Free booze is always good! ;p

I heard afterwards that some people were displaced in to the Music Hall area because their rooms had some water coming through, which I think is quite frightening. They also had food available in the Music Hall. It was Superbowl Sunday and Music Hall was on of the venues that was hosting the event.

Anyway, long story short, the storm died down around 2:30am. Imagine 12 hours stuck in your room! At least the Superbowl kept most people occupied. They also offered free movies on demand and internet which surprisingly still worked in these conditions.

As far as the damages that occurred on the ship. There was some broken glass by the kid's swimming pool, some large flower pots tipped over and some cosmetic damages, but overall the ship did well in those extreme conditions. What you saw on the news with furniture being flung around because of the rocking was not true. The crew were instructed to put the furniture into a pile so it would contain it from scattering all over the place.

Was I scared? --of course!

We received 100% refund and 50% of what we spent for this cruise towards a future cruise. I said to myself, damn! I should've booked the Royal Loft Suite! I would've gotten at least $3,000 towards a future cruise! :p