Dress policy help

golfer1903

Non formal nights ,shorts and t-shirt

Elegant night jeans and a polo shirt never a problem

First 2-3 cruises , 10 years ago we would dress up

Now , see no reason to haul dress wear along to wear

for 2-4 hours total . I could care less what others are

wearing

This thread really shows me the difference in mentality between a certain group of people that cruise Carnival which is noticeably absent on Princess. There are multiple replies her of the variety of anything goes or wear what you want, I have violated the code for years and never been turned away. Yet there is a current Princess thread encouraging people to wear their tux and gowns (which by the way a tux under traditional terms is semi-formal and women don't wear gowns...gowns go with tails which is classic formal).

The OP asked what the dress code was and what qualified. Neither of these types of answers are true or correct.

I used the courtroom analogy for this very reason - you are willing to break the Carnival dress code, but the same code for court is a different matter??? You aren't going to be kicked out for jeans but it is frowned upon. So why would you comply with one and not the other? It is logically inconsistent. Also, using court as a reference clearly distinguishes what a "dress shirt" is as REQUIRED by the Carnival dress code...it is NOT a polo.

Now, do I ultimately care if you wear jeans and tennis shoes on formal night? Will it ruin my dinner? Nope. But for those of you that wish to bend and twist the rules, where do YOU draw the line? What if I want to wear flip flops and pick my toes next to you? What if I am a man and want to wear a tank top and have my arm pit hair exposed to your food? Or a man that wants to wear shorts so short my junk is hanging out? What if I want to wear my wet bathing suit? Slippery slope...:')

The rules are the rules. They aren't hard. No one makes you dress for elegant evening...you can always eat in the buffet.

This thread really shows me the difference in mentality between a certain group of people that cruise Carnival which is noticeably absent on Princess...

The rules are the rules. They aren't hard. No one makes you dress for elegant evening...you can always eat in the buffet.

Yet here you are! And you and the rest of us know that Cruise Elegant on Carnival means wear pants. The rest is just details.

Seriously, vacations are expensive. If what is the norm for attire on Carnival doesn't work for your style then why not book vacations on Princess and be happier?

Yet here you are! And you and the rest of us know that Cruise Elegant on Carnival means wear pants. The rest is just details.

Seriously, vacations are expensive. If what is the norm for attire on Carnival doesn't work for your style then why not book vacations on Princess and be happier?

Carnival once and for all needs to decide if they are unilaterally going to enforce the dress code or not. That is the real problem here. These discussions about proper dress on cruise elegant nights have been going on and on.

On one side you have the " I will wear what I want, it's my vacation " crowd. They come in flip-flops and baseball caps and tell the ones pointing to the rules that they should cruise on Princess.

On the other side you have the people who like to dress up on the elegant nights, as there are not a lot of chances to dress up on the cruise. Carnival relaxed the dress code a few years ago and renamed the "formal" night to an "elegant" night. So now we have a reasonable dress code in place and everybody who does not adhere can eat at the buffet.

My take is that Carnival wants to satisfy both sides and just refuses to enforce the rules.

Enforce the rules or get rid of them altogether !!

Reading is a marvelous thing and comprehension is far more difficult. Just reading the posts on here makes me realize how more people don't have a clue what "elegant means".

What a sad situation and I believe it is going to just get worse. I know I will be slammed, but I think how one dresses is equivalent to his/her attitude. You go from there!

Well it sure looks like the flip-flops and ball caps wearing crowd is making the cruise elegant night into a dress up optional night . Maybe on ships with two dining rooms one could have separate dress codes ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Forums

Carnival once and for all needs to decide if they are unilaterally going to enforce the dress code or not. That is the real problem here. These discussions about proper dress on cruise elegant nights have been going on and on.

On one side you have the " I will wear what I want, it's my vacation " crowd. They come in flip-flops and baseball caps and tell the ones pointing to the rules that they should cruise on Princess.

On the other side you have the people who like to dress up on the elegant nights, as there are not a lot of chances to dress up on the cruise. Carnival relaxed the dress code a few years ago and renamed the "formal" night to an "elegant" night. So now we have a reasonable dress code in place and everybody who does not adhere can eat at the buffet.

My take is that Carnival wants to satisfy both sides and just refuses to enforce the rules.

Enforce the rules or get rid of them altogether !!

There are plenty of chances to dress up on the cruise. You can wear a tux poolside for all I care. :D

We just returned today from the freedom and the dress code was not enforced. We always dress nice for dinner but a couple of nights saw people dressed very casual. Ladies in shorts, not dressy but jean type shorts, many men in basketball shorts but some were dressed just fine in either polo shirts with nice shorts or slacks. It didn't bother me, just made me wonder if they were going to eventually change the dress code. I am not concerned as long as people don't come in swimwear or from being outside sweating and then come sit next to me. I personally ask my children (teens that travel with us) to dress up a little nicer than if going through a drive through. If not, they will eat outside while in the pool or watching movies on lido . We dressed up both formal days but the actual second formal we did the following day just to take pictures. My guys may wear a tux, maybe not, but my son who is 13 is being taught how to wear a coat and tie, just so that he knows how to dress up. All through the year, he wears shorts and flip flops. I think since it is so hot outside, packing and traveling with a lot of bags is difficult for some, they are trying to find ways to accommodate all types of travelers. Also we noticed the dining room was considerably empty and wonder if it has to do with dress code and the fact you can get a lot of the food items on buffet. We still go and sit down each evening, just habit because we don't do it a lot at home. It's fun for us to get a little dressy and be served.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The dress-code topic is a very heated discussion for some people, as you can probably see here. The moral of the story is, though described as a "policy" the dress code on elegant nights is treated as more of a suggestion. You can easily look up the policy, or read what some folks have quoted here, but at the end of the day, it breaks down to this...

1) It's YOUR vacation, so wear what YOU want to wear...

2) ... but be tasteful :)

For the record, I usually wear nice jeans and a polo.

Edited by SkyPiglet
Embarrassingly bad spelling, I am a former teacher, I know the difference between where and wear.

The dress-code topic is a very heated discussion for some people, as you can probably see here. The moral of the story is, though described as a "policy" the dress code on elegant nights is treated as more of a suggestion. You can easily look up the policy, or read what some folks have quoted here, but at the end of the day, it breaks down to this...

Oops, I lied. Not jeans, just standard khakis, which are usually the ONLY long pants I bother to bring.

I used the courtroom analogy for this very reason - you are willing to break the Carnival dress code, but the same code for court is a different matter??? You aren't going to be kicked out for jeans but it is frowned upon. So why would you comply with one and not the other? It is logically inconsistent. Also, using court as a reference clearly distinguishes what a "dress shirt" is as REQUIRED by the Carnival dress code...it is NOT a polo.

No one is dumb enough to not understand the difference between a court room and a Carnival cruise vacation.

Your opportunity to showcase, Carnival's words, not mine, your nicer clothing is not a requirement.

Breathe.

Well it sure looks like the flip-flops and ball caps wearing crowd is making the cruise elegant night into a dress up optional night . Maybe on ships with two dining rooms one could have separate dress codes ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Forums

This has been suggested and sounds reasonable on the surface of it, but I do not think you will fill one dining room with two shifts of diners in elegant wear, and that the casual dining room would be over capacity.

perhaps they should try it though as if it worked it would resolve a lot of the discussions.

Exactly my point. The people adhering to point 1, wearing flip-flops and baseball caps and the like on elegant night, know that they are breaking the rules. They are giving everyone an obvious "up yours".

So Carnival, enforce the rules or get rid of them !

Carnival should really go to something like NCL's "dress up or not" night. That makes everyone more comfortable. I think it's fun to get a bit dressed up and always participate, but I do think it is utterly ridiculous to expect everyone to do it on a budget cruise line serving food that's equivalent to Applebee's. It's a throwback to when cruising was for the wealthy and elite, but the service, atmosphere, and food isn't being thrown back to those times. There are other lines priced accordingly that offer that true elegant experience.

Exactly my point. The people adhering to point 1, wearing flip-flops and baseball caps and the like on elegant night, know that they are breaking the rules. They are giving everyone an obvious "up yours".

So Carnival, enforce the rules or get rid of them !

Our last 2 B2B cruises, which is 4 cruises the Maitre'd definitely enforced the rules, turning away several slobs in t's and shorts. We need more proactive Maitre'd. I don't know what Carnival is afraid of, they'll leave the ship?

Carnival should really go to something like NCL's "dress up or not" night. That makes everyone more comfortable. I think it's fun to get a bit dressed up and always participate, but I do think it is utterly ridiculous to expect everyone to do it on a budget cruise line serving food that's equivalent to Applebee's. It's a throwback to when cruising was for the wealthy and elite, but the service, atmosphere, and food isn't being thrown back to those times. There are other lines priced accordingly that offer that true elegant experience.

There is zero reason why someone on a budget can't still manage a shower, combed hair and either a collared shirt or a classic top. I don't care if someone is wearing formal/semi-formal/cocktail wear, I do care if the gentleman sitting nearby has B.O., or if the woman next to him smells like feet. That absolutely does affect someone else's appetite. Budget doesn't mean sloppy, lazy or dirty. Coming to the MDR in a ripped sleeve T-shirt or filthy shorts shows off trashy, not lack of money. Clean up and have some respect for yourself, as well as others around you. /rant

There is zero reason why someone on a budget can't still manage a shower, combed hair and either a collared shirt or a classic top. I don't care if someone is wearing formal/semi-formal/cocktail wear, I do care if the gentleman sitting nearby has B.O., or if the woman next to him smells like feet. That absolutely does affect someone else's appetite. Budget doesn't mean sloppy, lazy or dirty. Coming to the MDR in a ripped sleeve T-shirt or filthy shorts shows off trashy, not lack of money. Clean up and have some respect for yourself, as well as others around you. /rant

I agree, but a dress code doesn't ensure cleanliness. I'm all for no swim suits and tank tops or vulgar t-shirts.

I've never heard of ordering dining room food on Lido. Anyway, my hubby usually wears slacks and polo or button down on elegant night. Sometimes wears jeans on non-elegant nights with polo or tshirt. He wears black sneakers with his slacks. I've worn slacks, capris, short dresses & long dresses, all with non-beach flip flops (think flat, sequined ones). Every great once in a while we will drag out the garment bag & take tux & gown/cocktail dress when we know we want some good pics.

This always seems like more of an issue of changes in society than cruising. What is considered "dressed up" has changed. In the early 80's I managed a night club in a hotel outside of Boston. No jeans no tennis shoes. We didn't let people in line if they had them on, much less let them in. Now jeans and tennis shoes can cost several hundred dollars. I have attended meetings at fortune 500 companies where people were in jeans, polo shirts, and jackets. I wear polo shirts and dress t-shirts with suits quite a lot. I don't know of any restaurant that still requires men to be in ties. I'm sure there are some, but they are few and far between. This is not an issue of quality of restaurant either. I have eaten in restaurants where we paid $400+ for 3 of us and ate in jeans and a shirt. What I do think is an issue is enforcement of rules. I don't care what the rules are, but the cruise lines need to enforce them evenly.

For the record, I wear suits and ties on formal nights. My wife and I use it as a chance to dress up, and I learned to tie a bow tie and want to use that skill.

• 5 months later...

This is my first time on a Carnival ship. On Princess and Celebrity, I've alway brought a tux for formal/elegant night. It just seems nice once in a while to do it, not that many chances anymore to dress up like that. My question is----on carnival, will I be the only one in the MDR in a tux? From this discussion, it sure sounds like it. what say you?