Will Empress Stay Or Go

Will Empress Stay or Go  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Will Empress Stay or Go

• If Cuba goes so does Empress
    • They will keep her for 3/4 night cruises

You don't have to- anything that's listed there you can do easily on your own for a fraction of the cost. Vintage car and drivers will be outside the pier and can take you on tours- $100 usd a day for 4 person car. The Tropicana is like $75 per person for good seats and a huge bottle of rum included.

Havana is easy to navigate with a little effort and very affordable if you do it on your own. The rum is literally cheaper than water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was planning to do things on my own; I am not shy to do that in a port especially at a cost savings, but I have read that now it must be approved OFAC <?> excursions through the cruise lines, and that possibly even if you participate during the day, you would not be able to go out on your own in the evening or next day. I am waiting for clarification on that. If the only way to be allowed off the ship is as part of a ship based excursion group I have to reconsider the trip, unfortunately. The costs of excursions on top of the already premium priced trip starts crowding me out. I really would love to experience the city and its history though. I was planning to hire a classic convertible; like you said, $120 USD for the tour with an English speaking guide. Lunch/Dinner would not have been prohibitively expensive at all. The ship I am going on stays overnight; some nightlife at bars not expensive, and then the next day I could take a different local or walking tour. To pay 200 for two adults to do a walking tour of the city is crazy.

So even though the ships may still go, if you'd like to get off you'll have to pay exorbitant rates for "approved" cruise sponsored tours.

I was planning to do things on my own; I am not shy to do that in a port especially at a cost savings, but I have read that now it must be approved OFAC <?> excursions through the cruise lines, and that possibly even if you participate during the day, you would not be able to go out on your own in the evening or next day. I am waiting for clarification on that. If the only way to be allowed off the ship is as part of a ship based excursion group I have to reconsider the trip, unfortunately. The costs of excursions on top of the already premium priced trip starts crowding me out. I really would love to experience the city and its history though. I was planning to hire a classic convertible; like you said, $120 USD for the tour with an English speaking guide. Lunch/Dinner would not have been prohibitively expensive at all. The ship I am going on stays overnight; some nightlife at bars not expensive, and then the next day I could take a different local or walking tour. To pay 200 for two adults to do a walking tour of the city is crazy.

So even though the ships may still go, if you'd like to get off you'll have to pay exorbitant rates for "approved" cruise sponsored tours.

You'll be able to get off the ship by yourself just as you can stay in a private B&B when you're there if you wanted to. The new directive does not change your ability to go off the ship by yourself and engage with locals. The only thing that's happened is you will be prevented from spending a night in a military owned hotel like The Nacional- which to be honest (having just stayed there) is a $500 a night dump.

It looks like the cruise companies will be allowed to sail, but there will be more hassle for the individuals - keeping 5 years of documentation, and possibly forced excursions among other limitations.

As such, I can see RC retiring the itinerary in about a year when demand plummets. Too much hassle for a vacation.

Our email did not say a thing about that. We are booking privately.

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Valued Guest,

Today President Trump announced his administration’s new policy changes for U.S. citizens traveling to Cuba, and we are pleased to inform you that we don’t anticipate any changes to our Cuba itineraries. You can expect to enjoy the immersive, unforgettable experience you’ve been looking forward to as we visit Havana, Cuba on your upcoming sailing onboard Empress of the Seas.

As a reminder, please remember to visit www.RoyalCaribbean.com/Cuba for useful tips to help you prepare for your trip.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean for your upcoming vacation. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard.

We paid about $750 pp for a large OV with $200. OBC for 6 nights. I didn't think that was too bad.

That was probably a good deal. The Cuban sailings were typically about double the non-Cuban sailings, those prices will likely come down as interest wanes and the reality of Empress limitations set in. There's only so many folks that are clamoring to go to Cuba at above "normal" prices. Those prices would probably be lowered even more by using a bigger ship. Also, with such a volatile situation (Cubans could pull permission at any time) I just don't see RCI taking any more risks (like using a bigger ship).

That was probably a good deal. The Cuban sailings were typically about double the non-Cuban sailings, those prices will likely come down as interest wanes and the reality of Empress limitations set in. There's only so many folks that are clamoring to go to Cuba at above "normal" prices. Those prices would probably be lowered even more by using a bigger ship. Also, with such a volatile situation (Cubans could pull permission at any time) I just don't see RCI taking any more risks (like using a bigger ship).

From what I read it isn't necessarily that there isn't enough volume, it is because Cuba doesn't have the infrastructure to handle larger ships. I agree though RCL isn't going to experiment with a new market with a brand new big ship.... Cuba hasn't had cruise ships for decades so the ports aren't up to speed yet RCL isn't the only one sending smaller ships, the Adonia was one of the first to Cuba and it is smaller than Empress. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Empress is one of the larger ships going to Cuba even though she is the smallest in the RCL fleet. I have also read rumors on posts that RCL is considering the Majesty to start cruising to Cuba along with Empress, but that was prior to the announcement today. It would be nice to see Majesty join her and continue to sail. I have no problems with the bigger ships, but there is just something about the smaller ships I love. Maybe its because all I need is a beer and a good view of the ocean to be happy...

I went on a Key West, Nassau cruise in March on Empress and have Empress booked again for November this year for Cuba.

Past Cruises:

Empress of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Majesty of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

Carnival Ecstasy

Future Cruises Booked:

Empress in Nov 2017

Anthem of the Seas in Feb 2018

I was on the Empress in June. Not a bad ship at all. I just prefer the Majesty.

Ha I am the exact opposite! :) I think Majesty is also a mighty fine ship, but like Empress just a little more than Majesty. Though I would swap the pool decks, Majesty definitely has a nicer pool deck than Empress...

I would say Empress, Majesty and Explorer are my favorites so far... We will see if Anthem of Seas changes that...

Future Cruises:

Empress Nov to Cuba

Anthem Feb

Past Cruises:

Empress of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Majesty of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Soveirgn of the Seas

Carnival Ecstacy

It looks like the cruise companies will be allowed to sail, but there will be more hassle for the individuals - keeping 5 years of documentation, and possibly forced excursions among other limitations.

As such, I can see RC retiring the itinerary in about a year when demand plummets. Too much hassle for a vacation.

Forced excursions through the cruise line? Best thing the government has done for any industry since Obama Care!

From what I read it isn't necessarily that there isn't enough volume, it is because Cuba doesn't have the infrastructure to handle larger ships. I agree though RCL isn't going to experiment with a new market with a brand new big ship.... Cuba hasn't had cruise ships for decades so the ports aren't up to speed yet RCL isn't the only one sending smaller ships, the Adonia was one of the first to Cuba and it is smaller than Empress. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Empress is one of the larger ships going to Cuba even though she is the smallest in the RCL fleet. I have also read rumors on posts that RCL is considering the Majesty to start cruising to Cuba along with Empress, but that was prior to the announcement today. It would be nice to see Majesty join her and continue to sail. I have no problems with the bigger ships, but there is just something about the smaller ships I love. Maybe its because all I need is a beer and a good view of the ocean to be happy...

I went on a Key West, Nassau cruise in March on Empress and have Empress booked again for November this year for Cuba.

Past Cruises:

Empress of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

Carnival Victory

Majesty of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

Carnival Ecstasy

Future Cruises Booked:

Empress in Nov 2017

Anthem of the Seas in Feb 2018

The piers are small and very run down- I think one of the three there is unusable because of how dilapidated it is. A mega ship would stick out into the channel and basin tied up at one of them. I'm sure that's a contributing factor to small ships being used (among others). There are larger berths for cargo ships across the harbor but those locations lack the convenience of being adjacent to the city like the currently used ones are.

The piers are small and very run down- I think one of the three there is unusable because of how dilapidated it is. A mega ship would stick out into the channel and basin tied up at one of them. I'm sure that's a contributing factor to small ships being used (among others). There are larger berths for cargo ships across the harbor but those locations lack the convenience of being adjacent to the city like the currently used ones are.

This whole cruising to Cuba thing will be a long term process. They will have to get Havana's port facilities improved and then make improvements to other ports in the country. Cuba is a big island which lots of places to see for cruise passengers.

This whole cruising to Cuba thing will be a long term process. They will have to get Havana's port facilities improved and then make improvements to other ports in the country. Cuba is a big island which lots of places to see for cruise passengers.

The terminal that cruise ships use has been updated and is as good as some of the older ones at places like Ft Lauderdale. The entrance to the port is shallow and can't support larger ships.

The entrance to the port in Havana is shallow and cannot support bigger ships.

This has been discussed in other threads - ships up to Vision class could fit (less than 2 ft draught diff) but it probably doesn't make financial sense to do use such a big ship on those sailings.

According to news reports I read tonight, it says that cruises shouldn't be affected by change in policy. It has more to do with individuals going not through groups. Now, that could change overnight but Miami Herald is saying that based on what was released to them, cruises will go on. I'm happy because I just booked Empress for August 26.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I received a very nice email from RCI telling me not to worry-we are a go for our sailing-- I too am on the Aug. 26th date. Are you flying in?

Since Cuba's fate seems to be sealed, will Royal keep the Empress in the fleet to run 3/4 nighters or will they be looking for a buyer?

Looks like cruise travel won't be significantly affected, so Empress and her cruises to Cuba should be fine.

Wish they would put her back on the week long Bermuda runs in to Hamilton, preferably out of downtown NY or anywhere else besides cape Liberty.

That would be phenomenal